Jack Ross v David Hopkin. Who has achieved more?

5 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

As long as Hopkin doesn’t end up in Paisley. Watching St Mirren over the years has had its ups and downs, but I couldn’t stomach watching a team that plays like Livingston. That is a sure way to drive fans away from the game.

Cambie. I went to see Livvy play a few times as well as in the games we played against them.  They mix up their tactics and style of play more than most give them credit for.  I enjoyed their games.  Often a bit on the edge of your seat stuff, but I enjoyed them.  100 per cent competitive at all times but ultimately second best to Saints. 

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, St.Ricky said:

Maybe even more likely then than ever Zico... Yes

He should be wearing nappies then!

Either way, there is no way that we can appoint a manager whose toilet issues are so bad that he disappears during the most critical part of the most critical game of the season! :lol:

1 minute ago, zico said:

He should be wearing nappies then!

Either way, there is no way that we can appoint a manager whose toilet issues are so bad that he disappears during the most critical part of the most critical game of the season! :lol:

Now Zico... at last we might be in agreement. No idea what age you are but these things become.... More pressing as you get older.. Only saying. 

22 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Getting Livi promoted today was a great achievement. Last year though? Surely getting Livi promoted to the championship last year was pretty much expected.
As for counting the number of promotions as the mark of success, Neil warnock must be the most successful manager in English football history... Aye, right

Was Hopkin not originally being challenged by Alloa (under Jack Ross and then Jim Goodwin) last season?

Guest TPAFKATS
Was Hopkin not originally being challenged by Alloa (under Jack Ross and then Jim Goodwin) last season?
Yes but alloa fell away. Might've been coincidental but their manager left as well [emoji6]

10 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Cambie. I went to see Livvy play a few times as well as in the games we played against them.  They mix up their tactics and style of play more than most give them credit for.  I enjoyed their games.  Often a bit on the edge of your seat stuff, but I enjoyed them.  100 per cent competitive at all times but ultimately second best to Saints. 

Agreed. 

Sometimes when I read the posts on the various St Mirren outlets I have to wonder if we've been watching the same games. St Mirren last season were hardly a silky passing side. In the first half of the season especially I would have said St Mirren were a long ball side. Long balls were played up to Reilly who despite his lack of height often put defenders under enough pressure to give Morgan, Smith and Magennis a crack at the second ball. There was nothing wrong with it at all, indeed most fans were entertained enough by it to think they were watching silky passing football and got all snobbish about any team that had a bit of physicality about them. :rolleyes:

When I've watched Livingston this season too what I've seen is strong fit players, well organised tactically and playing with speed on the break. They don't have any "great" players in their side, but Hopkin has them playing to their strengths and like you I've enjoyed watching them. The 4-1 roasting they gave St Mirren was a superb example of just how pragmatic their football was.

11 hours ago, cambiebud said:

It’s maybe my age Ricky, but they remind me of a poor man’s Motherwell from the 70’s. The team that had McVey, Tam Forsyth etc. It got results as well but was brutal to watch.

Cambie. I remember the cup match at Motherwell very well. Motherwell in the league above us and us playing great football. We learned a lesson that day.

Teams need to be able to marry fitness and physicality to silky football to succeed. I'm not saying that Livvy are a great footballing side but there is (IMO) more to their success than they seem to be given credit for. Jack Ross commented after we won the Championship that we would need a more physical side for the Premiership.

17 hours ago, zico said:

Jose mourinho earns more than Jack Ross

I can’t prove it but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true! emoji14.png

Irrelevant & not even correct (if I can do it Im pretty sure you can too). :booty

A quick online search shows

Jose Mourinho’s salary exceeds St. Mirrens Annual Turnover.

Manchester United will confirm the appointment of Jose Mourinho on Thursday after negotiating a £10m-a-year, three-year contract with the former Chelsea manager.

The St. Mirren Football Club Limited
Strategic Report for the Year Ended 31 May 2017
The directors present their strategic report for the year ended 31 May 2017.
REVIEW OF BUSINESS The principal activity of the company continued to be the operation of a professional football club with related and ancillary activities.
The turnover in the year was £2,624,236

That should satisfy most people and was less than 5 minutes work!

Edited by Bud the Baker

That should satisfy most people and was less than 5 minutes work!

You are surely not using a news article as proof of salary? [emoji23]

£10 million? Aye, nice round number. A made up number if ever I’ve seen one!

Give me *actual* proof!

6 hours ago, StuD said:

Agreed. 

Sometimes when I read the posts on the various St Mirren outlets I have to wonder if we've been watching the same games. St Mirren last season were hardly a silky passing side. In the first half of the season especially I would have said St Mirren were a long ball side. Long balls were played up to Reilly who despite his lack of height often put defenders under enough pressure to give Morgan, Smith and Magennis a crack at the second ball.

How many times did you watch St.Mirren?

10 minutes ago, div said:

How many times did you watch St.Mirren?

I used to like it when Dicky made up elaborate stories about how he ended up at St Mirren games, like the mystery benefactor who used to post free tickets through the letterbox of his HD ready house, or the time he accidentally drove to Greenock at the same time St.Mirren were playing.

1 hour ago, norman said:

I used to like it when Dicky made up elaborate stories about how he ended up at St Mirren games, like the mystery benefactor who used to post free tickets through the letterbox of his HD ready house, or the time he accidentally drove to Greenock at the same time St.Mirren were playing.

All true. This season was far less elaborate though. I attended 10 home league matches, travelled to both away games at Livingston and went to Brechin away where I witneesed "superfan" Div get his hand stamped to reserve a seat in the stand before going and watching the game on the terrace, thereby denying other fans who perhaps needed a seat access to the stand. In contrast I gave a ticket away for free to a St Mirren fan queuing to get in the cash gate to ensure an extra travelling ticketless supporter might also get access. And when working away from home, unable to attend, I also paid to watch games on the various media outlets. 

1 hour ago, zico said:

You are surely not using a news article as proof of salary? emoji23.png

£10 million? Aye, nice round number. A made up number if ever I’ve seen one!

Give me *actual* proof!

This is a football forum not a murder trial - I’d say it’s an appropriate level of proof. 

Like I said it should satisfy most people, but I guess you’re special!

21 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

This is a football forum not a murder trial - I’d say it’s an appropriate level of proof. 

Like I said it should satisfy most people, but I guess you’re special!

You're actually making my original point for me....  :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, zico said:

You're actually making my original point for me....  :rolleyes:

….and there we are 3 posts in and down to stubborn manchildren rolling out cliches and unwilling to compromise even a fraction which incidentally (see P2) can be greater than one - 85 .

Truly we are all Stuart Dickson!

Edited by Bud the Baker

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

….and there we are 3 posts in and down to stubborn manchildren rolling out cliches and unwilling to compromise even a fraction which incidentally (see P2) can be greater than one - 85 .

Truly we are all Stuart Dickson!

^^^^ says the guy who said "can you prove that?" regarding a point which is probably true....

50 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

FIFY!

I offered an appropriate level of verification, unlike your client - which in the end is what counts.

Possibly? Is that it?

Even just going by attendances, our wage budget last season would have certainly put us in the second tier behind Dundee Utd. We'd have been in there with Falkirk & Dunfermline.

Its just plain common sense! Why would you even need verification or argue the point?

Falkirk were fighting relegation last season, Dundee United were way off the pace, we had the best player in Lewis Morgan.

Seriously, whoever was St. Mirren manager last season should have won the league. Finishing behind Livingston would have been failure. Both the Dundee Utd & Falkirk managers got sacked during the season!