World Cup Russia 2018

St.Ricky

A friend in South Africa sent me a message before last night's match. They had overheard a conversation between an England Fan and a French Fan. The English fan had said "We are playing Croatia Tonight". The French Fan had said "That's funny, we play Croatia on Sunday." Boom, Boom

13 hours ago, guinness said:

Have seen coverage of the scenes from the fan parks across england. The over reaction to England scoring is incredible. I have been going to football for over 50 years and have seen league wins and cup wins and have honestly never reacted the way these people, who have probablynever been to a match in their lives,do. It seems to be a modern thing that all emotion is incredibly overdone. Strange to watch.

You obviously were not at Hampden for the last Scotland v England game then - the reaction was similar at the Griffiths free kicks and it was fantastic - pure raw emotion, the stuff that keeps us coming back week after week.

2 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Indeed he did and Wright's retort? He tried to mimic Keane's accent.

Gotta love Keane, simmering on the edge, all the time That was great last night...................

Ian Wright for all he was a decent centre forward, is a right thickaspigshit type and really shouldn't be a pundit. He's borderline incoherent in some of his musings and frankly is only there cos he's a fan boy...................then again it is England World Cup pundit team time <_<

24 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

I was reading about Kanes 6 goals in the tournament  3 pens , a deflected fluke , a tap in and a 2 yard free header .And being unaffective in the 1/4 's and then the semi finals.

:huh:  That's no what I read...  it was 3 thunder bolts from just inside the box,  a def flick that deceived the keeper,  a unstoppable Derek Johnstone bulletlike header,  and a clinical Gerd Muller type finish out of nothing. 

2 hours ago, Yflab said:

They kept going on about how England had overachieved in getting to the WC Semi Final. What a load of tosh. They had easily the simplest route to the final. I wonder whether Belgium regret beating them in the group stages. Given they have had the richest league in the world for over 20 years they really should be doing far better in every tournament they enter. Feck em.

This.

England's route to the semi final is no surprise. They were heavy favourites to escape the group with Belgium at the expense of Tunisia and Panama. Colombia were difficult opponents but England would still be favourites, I'd say at 70/30. Favourites over Sweden, I'd say at 80/20. Favourites over Croatia, 60/40 IMO. I think this was their chance and they blew it. It's unlikely they'll get a draw as good as this again in the next few years of a tournament. Credit to them for the progress they did make, in the sense that the Germans didn't get past the group when we expected them to, or Spain and their lack of Plan B v Russia. But to say "We never expected this", if that route was shown to them at the start of the tournament, they'd have expected it 100%, plus the final.

As a Belgian I have no regrets of winning the group. Two straight WC we have taken 3/3 wins. 7 group wins running, and undefeated since 1994 (2006/2010 we weren't there, but that's still four tournaments unbeaten in the group stage). The victory over Brazil is the single greatest victory I have witnessed in my life as a Belgian, the equivalent of Scotland's double over France, or the bittersweet win at Wembley. I was young so I don't remember much about the Wembley game, but the French double was fantastic. The win over Japan was the first time since 1970 a team had overturned a two goal deficit in the knockouts. We fought bravely against France but it wasn't to be. This is still our best ever tournament alongside 1986, victory over England will make it one step better. And crucially, the other path may have been easier, but as Japan nearly proved, you can't take anything for granted. The Colombians very nearly punished England for the "2nd place is easier" route.  If we had gone out Last 16 to Colombia I'd have wished we did win the group. Other Belgians may see it differently, some will agree with me. But I'm very pleased we did win the group.

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

You obviously were not at Hampden for the last Scotland v England game then - the reaction was similar at the Griffiths free kicks and it was fantastic - pure raw emotion, the stuff that keeps us coming back week after week.

Yes from people at the match who has probably been to loads of matches where they failed. Not people with little or n interest in football 99% of the time.

1 hour ago, guinness said:

Yes from people at the match who has probably been to loads of matches where they failed. Not people with little or n interest in football 99% of the time.

How do you know this and is there a rule people can't join in?

How many "supporters" turned up at Hampden to cheer on St Mirren?

PS Just seen a news item with Croatia "supporters" going crazy when they scored, hard to tell who were 100% interested in football. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

How do you know this and is there a rule people can't join in?

How many "supporters" turned up at Hampden to cheer on St Mirren?

PS Just seen a news item with Croatia "supporters" going crazy when they scored, hard to tell who were 100% interested in football. :lol:

Yeah wee ladies from east Kilbride jumping on ambulances. Regular sttrnder is she?

To be honest, it's too depressing that virtually nobody under the age of about 28 will have much recollection of Scotland reaching any major finals to be laughing at England or any other team for failing at the semi final stage.

Our teams are crap and are getting worse every year.

We have more problems than we know how to solve and I think we'd be better served focussing on how we can reach the heights England play at on a regular basis.

Guest TPAFKATS
I was reading about Kanes 6 goals in the tournament  3 pens , a deflected fluke , a tap in and a 2 yard free header .And being unaffective in the 1/4 's and then the semi finals.
Aye, but he was 16/1 to be top scorer [emoji4]

Caught  a bit of The One Show (by accident - honest) earlier on where John McEnroe was being asked leading questions about Engerlands chances in upcoming soccerball tournaments. Superbrat or Cuddly Uncle as he's known nowadays agreed that it was almost a certainty that "The Boys" were heading for a major win in the near future!

10 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Caught  a bit of The One Show (by accident - honest) earlier on where John McEnroe was being asked leading questions about Engerlands chances in upcoming soccerball tournaments. Superbrat or Cuddly Uncle as he's known nowadays agreed that it was almost a certainty that "The Boys" were heading for a major win in the near future!

I understand that he is very well paid by the BBC

26 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

You cannot be serious.

13 hours ago, oaksoft said:

To be honest, it's too depressing that virtually nobody under the age of about 28 will have much recollection of Scotland reaching any major finals to be laughing at England or any other team for failing at the semi final stage.

Our teams are crap and are getting worse every year.

We have more problems than we know how to solve and I think we'd be better served focussing on how we can reach the heights England play at on a regular basis.

I agree but  the English media are heralding a great new dawn for their football team. Reminiscent of Scotland '78, pre flop. They only just beat Tunisia thanks to a fairly lucky last minute goal and didn't beat a decent team over 90, or even 120 minutes. Their top striker hardly had a decent shot on target. 3 pens to take him to the top of the scoring charts. Read the facts and make your own mind up here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44808192 

Edited by stlucifer

5 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I agree but  the English media are heralding a great new dawn for their football team. Reminiscent of Scotland '78, pre flop. They only just beat Tunisia thanks to a fairly lucky last minute goal.  Read the facts and make your own mind up here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44808192 

Fairly lucky? :blink:

Reminiscent of 78? :lol:

The media, IMO, are recognising that after the last tournament England have made considerable progress.

Expectations were lower than many a year.

A semi final extra time defeat, albeit deservedly, is reasonable for a team, forgetting the hype, who are fairly young and weren't aiming for much more than a quarter final. 

They do have limitations, mainly in midfield with a lack of any real class.

Anyhow, it's all water under the bridge.

Hope the final keeps up with the, overall,  good football that's been on show. 

If you want that tattoo, go in, get the World Cup trophy inked, above it get ‘England’ inked, below it get ‘World Cup 2018’ inked. Then walk out the door and go home. Then, go back and add ‘winners’ underneath, Christ, even get two stars added above it, or as it panned out, instead of ‘winners’ get ‘Pride’ or whatever the fcuk you want.

These pricks are unbelievable. Half a brain cell.