World Cup Russia 2018

St.Ricky

Comments implying that Kane is carrying a knock.......more likely as the defenders have been better he has been more restricted. Saw a game between Spurs and Man U at the end of last season when he failed to get the better of Smalling and Jones and they weren't England's first choice, perhaps the pundits need to realise he isn't Messi after all.

On 7/13/2018 at 4:05 PM, pozbaird said:

If you want that tattoo, go in, get the World Cup trophy inked, above it get ‘England’ inked, below it get ‘World Cup 2018’ inked. Then walk out the door and go home. Then, go back and add ‘winners’ underneath, Christ, even get two stars added above it, or as it panned out, instead of ‘winners’ get ‘Pride’ or whatever the fcuk you want.

These pricks are unbelievable. Half a brain cell.

WTF is wrong with you? Why are you so angry all the time?

1 hour ago, StanleySaint said:

Comments implying that Kane is carrying a knock.......more likely as the defenders have been better he has been more restricted. Saw a game between Spurs and Man U at the end of last season when he failed to get the better of Smalling and Jones and they weren't England's first choice, perhaps the pundits need to realise he isn't Messi after all.

I think England finished up in the right position. ..4th. I also think this shows that they performed above expectations. All I can say to their manager and players is well done for that. The Media circus is a different and embarrassing  case! They lived up/down to their usual.  Harry Kane played a more forward role than in the last game and had at least one good chance to score. Decent player but not one who can lift a whole team. Ultimately though neither Could Ronaldo or Messi.

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

So they don't count then? :lol:

I wish! It's more to do with the way the media are hyping Kane's achievements. Looking at the overall campaign he was anonymous against the better teams. They do count and he will probably, barring a miracle score line today, he'll get the boot and the English media will herald him as a world cup great. I just don't think he did enough to deserve the accolade.

1 minute ago, shull said:

A penalty counts as a huge thing if Sammy saves it. 

Yep. And the striker would be blamed if he misses. But even when we talk about our own players we often separate their goal's tally by saying something akin to, "He scored 20 goals but x amount were penalties".

Belgium at World Cup 2018

Third Place - Our best ever World Cup finish

6 Wins in 7 Games - All wins achieved in 90 minute matches

16 Goals Scored - Averaging 2.29 per game

10 Different goalscorers

Responsible for knocking out pre-tournament favourites Brazil

Beat England twice

It was gutting to see us miss out on the final. But I am proud of what we've achieved. To put this into context, we finished 5th in our Euro 2008 Qualifying Group. Behind Finland, who we failed to beat. We couldn't beat Kazakhstan either. In 2009 we slipped to 66th in the rankings. 2018 is proof of how much the Belgian FA wanted to change our fortunes. They took the threat of our potential decline seriously in the early 2000s, and the research into developing talented youth properly was huge. The plans were implemented and now we see the results. QF in 2014, 2016 and 3rd place in 2018. During the 2000s we wouldn't have dared to dream of this. Some will say we should have gone one further, and that's fair enough. But Belgium have set the precedent to every other small nation. It's not about population. It's about the quality of the youth system. I've said it often before, but with the right people in the SFA, Scotland could achieve similar success with a total revamp of the youth system. Hopefully one day Scotland will see similar success.

As for the "It's Coming Home" mob. 3 Wins in 90 mins. 1 Win on penalties. 2 defeats in 90 mins and an ET defeat. "Proud to have made the semi finals." But if they seen that route pre-tournament, they'd have expected themselves to make the final. Their path was clear of all the big guns. Now they think they can challenge for 2022. But they have yet to prove themselves against above average opposition. Two defeats to Belgium, beaten by Croatia, and penalties needed to beat Colombia. Even yesterday the commentators said only Iran created less chances from open play. I struggle to see where the optimism comes from. 

I reckon France 2-0 Croatia today. The French know how to defend a lead better than most. When Croatia throw everything forward the pace of Mbappe will kill them off on the break. I would love to see a new name on the trophy though, so go on Croatia!

36 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Belgium at World Cup 2018

Third Place - Our best ever World Cup finish

6 Wins in 7 Games - All wins achieved in 90 minute matches

16 Goals Scored - Averaging 2.29 per game

10 Different goalscorers

Responsible for knocking out pre-tournament favourites Brazil

Beat England twice

It was gutting to see us miss out on the final. But I am proud of what we've achieved. To put this into context, we finished 5th in our Euro 2008 Qualifying Group. Behind Finland, who we failed to beat. We couldn't beat Kazakhstan either. In 2009 we slipped to 66th in the rankings. 2018 is proof of how much the Belgian FA wanted to change our fortunes. They took the threat of our potential decline seriously in the early 2000s, and the research into developing talented youth properly was huge. The plans were implemented and now we see the results. QF in 2014, 2016 and 3rd place in 2018. During the 2000s we wouldn't have dared to dream of this. Some will say we should have gone one further, and that's fair enough. But Belgium have set the precedent to every other small nation. It's not about population. It's about the quality of the youth system. I've said it often before, but with the right people in the SFA, Scotland could achieve similar success with a total revamp of the youth system. Hopefully one day Scotland will see similar success.

As for the "It's Coming Home" mob. 3 Wins in 90 mins. 1 Win on penalties. 2 defeats in 90 mins and an ET defeat. "Proud to have made the semi finals." But if they seen that route pre-tournament, they'd have expected themselves to make the final. Their path was clear of all the big guns. Now they think they can challenge for 2022. But they have yet to prove themselves against above average opposition. Two defeats to Belgium, beaten by Croatia, and penalties needed to beat Colombia. Even yesterday the commentators said only Iran created less chances from open play. I struggle to see where the optimism comes from. 

I reckon France 2-0 Croatia today. The French know how to defend a lead better than most. When Croatia throw everything forward the pace of Mbappe will kill them off on the break. I would love to see a new name on the trophy though, so go on Croatia!

I would like to see Croatia win (I had tipped Belgium)  but fear that your last sentence is correct.