World Cup Russia 2018

St.Ricky

7 minutes ago, guinness said:

Fancied Croatia from early in the tournament. Harry Kane and delli ali were invisible in most of the Last couple of matches.  Aprat from goal in Sweden game Ali has been very disappointing.

My lads waiting on Croatia for £4200.  might get a pint out it if they win :guinness

Edited by portmahomack saint
if big if

Have seen coverage of the scenes from the fan parks across england. The over reaction to England scoring is incredible. I have been going to football for over 50 years and have seen league wins and cup wins and have honestly never reacted the way these people, who have probablynever been to a match in their lives,do. It seems to be a modern thing that all emotion is incredibly overdone. Strange to watch.

Thank f**k for that. Makes work a lot more bearable tomorrow, knowing that they can no longer tell me "It's coming home." Would have been dreading it otherwise after Belgium's exit on Tuesday, at least they will be joining us.

I love Croatia. Thank you for ending three weeks of immense twatery.

8 minutes ago, guinness said:

Have seen coverage of the scenes from the fan parks across england. The over reaction to England scoring is incredible. I have been going to football for over 50 years and have seen league wins and cup wins and have honestly never reacted the way these people, who have probablynever been to a match in their lives,do. It seems to be a modern thing that all emotion is incredibly overdone. Strange to watch.

The opposite could be said mind when the Croatia 2nd goal went in..... :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(  sort of levels things out a bit

I dont know if being away so long has softened me but I feel a bit sorry for them . Mainly due to Southgates conduct throughout the tournament. He has shown great humility and sportsmanship and his players have given him everything. I couldn’t care less about the pundits as their wittering means nothing. Experience is what probably beat England in the end and Croatia’s fitness was astonishing. They can certainly play a bit too so the final should be a great game. England have invested in their youth and it has paid off. It surely can’t be that hard for Scotland to take a leaf out of some of the smaller nations books who got to the finals. We need to get with it as it were to have any chance of competing at that level.

57 minutes ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

I dont know if being away so long has softened me but I feel a bit sorry for them . Mainly due to Southgates conduct throughout the tournament. He has shown great humility and sportsmanship and his players have given him everything. I couldn’t care less about the pundits as their wittering means nothing. Experience is what probably beat England in the end and Croatia’s fitness was astonishing. They can certainly play a bit too so the final should be a great game. England have invested in their youth and it has paid off. It surely can’t be that hard for Scotland to take a leaf out of some of the smaller nations books who got to the finals. We need to get with it as it were to have any chance of competing at that level.

No mate, I can categorically reveal that it's nothing to do with being away for a long time.

I've been in Jersey for over 32 years.  In that times I've witnessed 9 World Cups and 8 Euros, all bar 2 of which England have competed in.

And I still think gerrit right roon thum.

In fact, if anything,, being surrounded by them only serves to strengthen that emotion.

3 hours ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

The quote of the thread for me. 

I think England football team are limited in ability, and clearly the "caught in the headlights"  mentality lives on. Why was Pickford running at light speed when it was 1-1, same goes for the throw ins?. They took some as soon as they picked the ball up. Meanwhile Croatia, strolled , saving energy and keeping calm. Southgate is clearly a nice guy, but so was Woy, and as shown at Palace clearly still has it.

England did well here, no question, they can leave with heads held high, but save the " Coming Home" for the charts. Its going to take better players and a huge shift in mindset. But they def have their mojo back

In saying all that- Scotland Football Team - lets see you turn up for games- or fk off.... We could do with passion back ala Hendry, McCall and Bremner............... We have no Mojo, and no direction.....

9 hours ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

I don't feel sorry for them at all. As soon as they pumped Panama they started all the "It's Coming Home" shite. Should be waiting until the QF before you start thinking of saying such pish.

Your point on Scotland is bang on. I say it time and time again, Belgium and Scotland went downhill at a similar time. Belgium worked their arses off to gain ideas of how to change our situation. This squad we have now in Belgium, it wasn't an accident. It was putting together a great idea for developing youth. The SFA did f**k all. The Belgian league has benefitted too, now 9th in the co-efficient standings, not bad when you consider most leagues above will have much larger sums of cash.

9 hours ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

Southgate seems a decent bloke and did a decent job. They are a shite team though and the fact he took a shite team to the semi final reflects well on him. They could hardly score from open play, Alli is a sand-dancer, Sterling flatters to deceive, Kane is really not the messiah, he’s just a naughty boy. They scraped past Tunisia, played utter dross in Panama, won another game on pens, and when they faced decent teams in Belgium and Croatia - lost to both. They lost to Croatia having been 1-0 going on 4-0 up at the half, and were then made to look lethargic against a team who should have been mentally and physically drained, given the matches Croatia had negotiated. They deserve credit for brushing aside a stuffy Sweden side who could have caused them problems.

A nation was whipped into a World Cup frenzy and the dumbfcuks believed it was coming home... but enough about Argentina 1978. Back to England...

The pundits and commentators DO matter. They matter because their coverage is nationwide, and especially in the case of the BBC, they simply become the EBC. Last night on ITV Roy Keane let loose on a squirming Ian Wright and blasted him right between his smug eyes... Keane simply hammered Wright about how he and his colleagues had been going on all week about the final, how they’d play against France, and where the World Cup final parties were going to be. He really got tore into Wright for his arrogance and how that arrogance was not just limited to him. Wright looked like he’d shat himself. Wright’s dismissive smugness towards ‘this lot’ in regard to Croatia at half time made Keane’s post-match reaction all the sweeter and was thoroughly deserved.

When Wales were going great guns in a major competition recently, I was right behind them. I do not remember being subjected to OTT Welsh commentators or pundits going apeshit about it coming home, or anyone designating gameday to be Chris Coleman shiny shoes and chewing gum day, nor do I remember Welsh pundits dissing’ the opposition and planning for the final. Wrighty, Linekery, Shearery and Ferdinandy matter simply because they are thrust upon us and they simply pay no heed to the fact they are broadcasting to an entire nation, not merely one part of it.

If Scotland were in England’s position we’d be giving it big licks and going crazy too - absolutely, but if you were in Southampton or Birmingham, Cardiff or Basingstoke... you would never know about it, unless you went into your Sky box and sought out the BBC Scotland channel.

Thankfully they’re out now, and France v Croatia looks tasty. In football, only St Mirren’s fortunes genuinely concern me, but in regard to three other sides, those being England, Celtic and Sevco, the sooner they get humped out of European / World competition, the better.

Edited by pozbaird

16 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Southgate seems a decent bloke and did a decent job. They are a shite team though and the fact he took a shite team to the semi final reflects well on him. They could hardly score from open play, Alli is a sand-dancer, Sterling flatters to deceive, Kane is really not the messiah, he’s just a naughty boy. They scraped past Tunisia, played utter dross in Panama, won another game on pens, and when they faced decent teams in Belgium and Croatia - lost to both. They lost to Croatia having been 1-0 going on 4-0 up at the half, and were then made to look lethargic against a team who should have been mentally and physically drained, given the matches Croatia had negotiated. They deserve credit for brushing aside a stuffy Sweden side who could have caused them problems.

A nation was whipped into a World Cup frenzy and the dumbfcuks believed it was coming home... but enough about Argentina 1978. Back to England...

The pundits and commentators DO matter. They matter because their coverage is nationwide, and especially in the case of the BBC, they simply become the EBC. Last night on ITV Roy Keane let loose on a squirming Ian Wright and blasted him right between his smug eyes... Keane simply hammered Wright about how he and his colleagues had been going on all week about the final, how they’d play against France, and where the World Cup final parties were going to be. He really got tore into Wright for his arrogance and how that arrogance was not just limited to him. Wright looked like he’d shat himself. Wright’s dismissive smugness towards ‘this lot’ in regard to Croatia at half time made Keane’s post-match reaction all the sweeter and was thoroughly deserved.

When Wales were going great guns in a major competition recently, I was right behind them. I do not remember being subjected to OTT Welsh commentators or pundits going apeshit about it coming home, or anyone designating gameday to be Chris Coleman shiny shoes and chewing gum day, nor do I remember Welsh pundits dissing’ the opposition and planning for the final. Wrighty, Linekery, Shearery and Ferdinandy matter simply because they are thrust upon us and they simply pay no heed to the fact they are broadcasting to an entire nation, not merely one part of it.

If Scotland were in England’s position we’d be giving it big licks and going crazy too - absolutely, but if you were in Southampton or Birmingham, Cardiff or Basingstoke... you would never know about it, unless you went into your Sky box and sought out the BBC Scotland channel.

Thankfully they’re out now, and France v Croatia looks tasty. In football, only St Mirren’s fortunes genuinely concern me, but in regard to three other sides, those being England, Celtic and Sevco, the sooner they get humped out of European / World competition, the better.

Stupendous post.

Last night on ITV Roy Keane let loose on a squirming Ian Wright and blasted him right between his smug eyes... Keane simply hammered Wright about how he and his colleagues had been going on all week about the final, how they’d play against France, and where the World Cup final parties were going to be. He really got tore into Wright for his arrogance and how that arrogance was not just limited to him. Wright looked like he’d shat himself. Wright’s dismissive smugness towards ‘this lot’ in regard to Croatia at half time made Keane’s post-match reaction all the sweeter and was thoroughly deserved.

Indeed he did and Wright's retort? He tried to mimic Keane's accent.