Sunderland Speak To Jack Ross

Yeah.
Taking on a championship team  eight points adrift at the bottom of the league, with an utterly shit squad, was a job where he couldn't fail to be a success.
 No risk indeed.:wacko:
Step away from the keyboard!
He has a point. Our chairman and the majority on here said about January/February 2017 that even if we had been relegated we would have kept and backed him this season.

2 minutes ago, Hambud said:
21 minutes ago, YorkshireMackem said:
I understand mate, I really do. I was the same when we lost Big Sam to England for what, one bloody game?

I've not come here to rub it in, I was genuinely interested in what Jack Ross could bring to my club. I live in Glasgow myself and have obviously heard of Jack Ross but I wanted to get a first hand account from those that know him best, you lot.

Did the FA tap him up?

There was something at play..

Sunderland came out and issued a statement basically telling the FA to stop messing around. I don't think Big Sam was their first choice and they left us and him waiting for so long. 

He was THE manager for us. He completely transformed everything. He kept us up and in great fashion, January on wards we were top 10 material. The excitement going into the following season was uncontrollable, the city and football club felt alive again, then came David Moyes.. :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Oldfellow said:

So Jack goes somewhere he can't fail to be a success. This seems to be how he operates. No risk. I'd do the same but I'm disappointed in him given all the crap he he's told us. Can't bring myself to wish him success. He made us 13th best team in Scotland. I think he crapped out trying to take us further 

Football management careers change so quickly. If you are offered such an improvement on your wage, at a club who has potential to be in the EPL, you'd take it. A bad year with us next season would destroy that opportunity. Alan Archibald was in high praise after a Top 6 finish with Partick. Now they've been relegated and his best hope is a bottom 6 side in the SPL or a move to the Championship. The clubs in England who can pay the high wages aren't going to give him a second look now. Unfortunately it's not all about us. Did you say the same thing about Lewis Morgan when he chose to move to Celtic? Did he crap out of taking us further?

16 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

You also claimed Jack Ross would be a bad appointment for us and that we would finish 6th this season. You also said Sunderland would not go for Ross.

Deflect, deflect, deflect. As usual you've been found out and as usual you are trying to twist things...

Will you give up supporting Sunderland now that they've taken the man from the club you hate so much?

There's no deflection. I own my comments - I did indeed call for Ross to be sacked before the end of January 2017 and I did indeed predict a 6th place finish. I also did indeed say Sunderland were too big a club for Ross - and I said, and was right at the time BTW, that Ross had not spoken to Donald prior to the takeover. As a Sunderland fan I find the appointment particularly disappointing after listening to the new Chairman, Ross certainly seems like a poor choice. As a St Mirren customer I'm also sorry to see him leave although I get why he would want to as St Mirren are going to struggle badly this season. 

2 minutes ago, YorkshireMackem said:

Sunderland came out and issued a statement basically telling the FA to stop messing around. I don't think Big Sam was their first choice and they left us and him waiting for so long. 

He was THE manager for us. He completely transformed everything. He kept us up and in great fashion, January on wards we were top 10 material. The excitement going into the following season was uncontrollable, the city and football club felt alive again, then came David Moyes.. :rolleyes:

It's nice to hear someone actually say something positive about his management ability. I hope Everton get relegated next season for being a shower of ungrateful bastards.

6 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Thats what i mean about the Ipswich thread where we wax lyrically about Jack. Great manager and obviously highly sought after. Plays great attacking football on the deck using young players with a hunger to suceed. A fantastic signing for you guys. Jack is the real deal.

I hope so mate. You lot are clearly gutted which is a great sign for us, but like I say, I'm not here to lap up your disappointment. I've been there and got the t-shirt.

Sunderland are a big club, and a club you can rare refuse when you're so early into your career like Jack because you'd be asking yourself will the opportunity come again?

That coupled with the money.. five times your salary, you'd be stupid to say no. And that's no disrespect to St Mirren, that's just down to the disgusting amount of money in English football. Even in League One.

9 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Thats what i mean about the Ipswich thread where we wax lyrically about Jack. Great manager and obviously highly sought after. Plays great attacking football on the deck using young players with a hunger to suceed. A fantastic signing for you guys. Jack is the real deal.

"On the deck" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

It's nice to hear someone actually say something positive about his management ability. I hope Everton get relegated next season for being a shower of ungrateful bastards.

I'm genuinely quite shocked at the way the Everton fans have acted. He took them from genuine relegation contenders to comfortable in the top half. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't play the greatest football but the bloke gets results. And I think that's why we Sunderland fans took to him so well because we weren't so used to getting results.

Trust me.. if Everton's season had gone the exact same way with someone like Sarri or Allegri in charge, they'd be waxing lyrical. Unfortunately Big Sam isn't a fashionable name and that's his downfall. He should really consider changing his name by deed poll to Samuel Allardici. He'd have more fans then.

10 minutes ago, Hambud said:
14 minutes ago, FTOF said:
Yeah.
Taking on a championship team  eight points adrift at the bottom of the league, with an utterly shit squad, was a job where he couldn't fail to be a success.

He has a point. Our chairman and the majority on here said about January/February 2017 that even if we had been relegated we would have kept and backed him this season.

No he doesn't.

If we'd been relegated he'd hardly have been lauded as a success.

Unless you know a different meaning of the word "success".<_<

Edited by FTOF

14 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Yeah.

One of the biggest budgets in the division. A team the fans believed should be top four, and just 8 games into the season. Aye FTOF he knew the odds. It was the next three months of spectacular failure that put him really under pressure and which took the club breaking its wage structure to bail him out. 

6 minutes ago, YorkshireMackem said:

I'm genuinely quite shocked at the way the Everton fans have acted. He took them from genuine relegation contenders to comfortable in the top half. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't play the greatest football but the bloke gets results. And I think that's why we Sunderland fans took to him so well because we weren't so used to getting results.

Trust me.. if Everton's season had gone the exact same way with someone like Sarri or Allegri in charge, they'd be waxing lyrical. Unfortunately Big Sam isn't a fashionable name and that's his downfall. He should really consider changing his name by deed poll to Samuel Allardici. He'd have more fans then.

Tony Pulis is the same. Gets results out of average players. Then the fans think those average players should be playing silky football so they turn on the manager. 

I don't know why you'd be shocked at anything Everton fans do though. 

4 minutes ago, YorkshireMackem said:

Agreed. Take out the Top 6 who finish where they should, the only club better than Everton were Burnley who were getting results while Everton were dreadful. They could have gone down without Sam and this is the thanks he gets. I do hope they get the football they want, at the cost of relegation. 

Regarding Jack, it'll be interesting to see how this really panned out and if he was tapped up before the board were notified. Whatever the case I wish him all the best, he gave us an incredible 18 months, turned the club around in style, and owes us nothing. I hope he becomes a success in England, he deserves it. The journey we've been on won't be matched by many in our lifetime.

5 minutes ago, StuD said:

Tony Pulis is the same. Gets results out of average players. Then the fans think those average players should be playing silky football so they turn on the manager. 

I don't know why you'd be shocked at anything Everton fans do though. 

You're absolutely right. I think Pulis will do a good job over time at Boro and probably establish them as a mid-table PL club, that's what he's good at.

I quite like Everton and its fans due to their overwhelming support with poor Bradley but I do agree that their fans can be over the top. Tonight I've seen @stmirrenactive describe Sunderland fans as self-entitled on Twitter which I quite simply refuse to accept, that however could be said for Everton fans. But what do you expect when your closest rivals are literally levels above.

Newcastle have the bragging rights over us at the moment but I'm grateful that both of us are fairly crap and not much really separates us in terms of success.

Edited by YorkshireMackem

1 hour ago, Drew said:

What a pitiful attempt at deflection:lol:

He's in full on jilted lover mode as usual. However, this one comes with the added benefit of him having said yesterday Ross wouldn't be going to Sunderland and now he's having to stick to his guns about how bad a manager Ross is now that he's gone to a club he claims to support and has often used to back his arguments about how badly St Mirren is run, even though in recent years doing exactly the opposite of what Sunderland are doing would be the ideal way to run a football club.

A warning to the Sunderland fans - Jack Ross is a shite manager. Why? Because he once signed a not very good midfielder who then went on to do not very well at another club while a striker he released had a good year at another club.

Edited by Stu

Just now, Cornwall_Saint said:

Agreed. Take out the Top 6 who finish where they should, the only club better than Everton were Burnley who were getting results while Everton were dreadful. They could have gone down without Sam and this is the thanks he gets. I do hope they get the football they want, at the cost of relegation. 

Regarding Jack, it'll be interesting to see how this really panned out and if he was tapped up before the board were notified. Whatever the case I wish him all the best, he gave us an incredible 18 months, turned the club around in style, and owes us nothing. I hope he becomes a success in England, he deserves it. The journey we've been on won't be matched by many in our lifetime.

Aha so you're about 12 years old? 

I'm know Gus MacPherson took a St Mirren from it's knees in the First Division and got the club promoted, even took St Mirren to a Challenge Cup Final and won it, and a League Cup Final which the club lost. And before him in 1999-2000 Tom Hendrie took a  St Mirren that Tony Fitzpatrick had left on it's knees and turned the club into title winners and League Cup Semi Finalists. I would have thought most of us had done the journey many times, but I forgot some are just out their nappies. :rolleyes:  

Let’s not beat around the bush.

Someone has clearly been acting on behalf of JR behind the clubs back to manoeuvre a move to Sunderland and I’m assuming JR will have given some sort of go ahead to this whilst away.

Sunderland have then plastered it all over the media without conducting themselves properly and shat all over St.Mirren. The club release a statement to save face and give permission for a conversation that quite clearly has already been had.

JR might not be solely responsible for the conduct of his representative but this leaves a pretty sour taste. I personally hope Sunderland rot in the lower leagues of England for a very long time.

Viva Robbie Neilson!

This is a no brainer for Ross. He wins promotion in his first season and he will be set for life. Its a major stepping stone and he would be mad to knock it back. We now say thanks for taking us back to the SPL and move on. The next appointment is really important and we should not rush in. 

14 minutes ago, StuD said:

One of the biggest budgets in the division. A team the fans believed should be top four, and just 8 games into the season. Aye FTOF he knew the odds. It was the next three months of spectacular failure that put him really under pressure and which took the club breaking its wage structure to bail him out. 

Ah SMFC saved Jack Ross, interesting spin on things. Well done then to Gordon Scott and co. He seems to have fooled virtually everyone involved in Scottish football as well, he's some shyster right enough but no flies on you Stu, you alone can see right through him ! What he does or doesn't do from now on matters not a jot to us Saints fans but it's a mighty hard stance to argue he was anything but good for SMFC. Imagine taking a full 3 months to turn it around !

4 minutes ago, YorkshireMackem said:

You're absolutely right. I think Pulis will do a good job over time at Boro and probably establish them as a mid-table PL club, that's what he's good at.

I quite like Everton and its fans due to their overwhelming support with poor Bradley but I do agree that their fans can be over the top. Tonight I've seen @stmirrenactive describe Sunderland fans as self-entitled on Twitter which I quite simply refuse to accept, that however could be said for Everton fans. But what do you expect when your closest rivals are literally levels above.

Newcastle have the bragging rights over us at the moment but I'm grateful that both of us are fairly crap and not much really separates us in terms of success.

"Self entitled" fits this lot perfectly. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about St Mirren fans on the internet. Most of them do hypocrisy so confidently it almost looks ironic. 

With JR what you are getting is a very driven, clever, charismatic and articulate individual.

He understands the importance of having individual relationships with all his players and works tirelessly.

98% of us adored him and are really sad to see the back of him especially in circumstances described as 'skullduggery'.

I'd say his strengths are fostering a good team spirit and making players go that extra mile for him.

He is a great talker and knows exactly the right things to say to keep fans on side.

Potential weaknesses I'm not convinced that he is a tactical mastermind though he is still young and very intelligent so can learn and develop those traits.

He did struggle to turn round a struggling changing room until he managed to ship out 10 players and bring in a new 10.

He was fortunate enough to have contact with ex colleagues who were able to come to us and improve us football wise and be a strong personalities in the changing room to help change the mentality in it.

The Sunderland job is a different kettle of fish. He will be able to identify issues and know how to sort them out but I'd imagine the obstacles he may face to sort them out will be massive compared to up here.

He will definitely work incredibly hard to make it succeed with you guys.

38 minutes ago, YorkshireMackem said:

Big Sam is still available, I'd go for him rather than that useless fecker Ross. 

2 minutes ago, StuD said:

"Self entitled" fits this lot perfectly. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about St Mirren fans on the internet. Most of them do hypocrisy so confidently it almost looks ironic. 

Why don't you trot off then. Hanging about a football club's forum that you have no interest seems pretty sad to me.