Sunderland Speak To Jack Ross

12 minutes ago, StuD said:

Aha so you're about 12 years old? 

I'm know Gus MacPherson took a St Mirren from it's knees in the First Division and got the club promoted, even took St Mirren to a Challenge Cup Final and won it, and a League Cup Final which the club lost. And before him in 1999-2000 Tom Hendrie took a  St Mirren that Tony Fitzpatrick had left on it's knees and turned the club into title winners and League Cup Semi Finalists. I would have thought most of us had done the journey many times, but I forgot some are just out their nappies. :rolleyes:  

You're the one who acts like a 12 year old on here. If it wasn't for the fact you've been trolling on here and P+B for several years I'd have just assumed you were a 12 year old bigot fan who found it funny to wind up those of his local team. Your final comment sums up your immaturity.

I do indeed remember what Gus achieved. In fact I was one of the few who continually backed him all the way through where others were desperate to hound him out. I remember his League Cup run very well having attended every match on the run to the final. The Hendrie years were not memorable for me as I had never attended a football match and I was indeed a child at the time.

6 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

You're the one who acts like a 12 year old on here. If it wasn't for the fact you've been trolling on here and P+B for several years I'd have just assumed you were a 12 year old bigot fan who found it funny to wind up those of his local team. Your final comment sums up your immaturity.

I do indeed remember what Gus achieved. In fact I was one of the few who continually backed him all the way through where others were desperate to hound him out. I remember his League Cup run very well having attended every match on the run to the final. The Hendrie years were not memorable for me as I had never attended a football match and I was indeed a child at the time.

So three times in your short lifetime the "journey has been matched" (even bettered in some cases) - four in mine - and the only reason it's not more is because St Mirren actually used to have a decent record in the top level of Scottish Football where some of us can remember regularly playing in Europe. 

Edited by StuD

No he doesn't.
If we'd been relegated he'd hardly have been lauded as a success.
Unless you know a different meaning of the word "success".<_>
OK maybe not a success but it was a pretty safe job in that we should only have able to improve from the position he took us over.

18 minutes ago, Ethan said:

This is a no brainer for Ross. He wins promotion in his first season and he will be set for life. Its a major stepping stone and he would be mad to knock it back. We now say thanks for taking us back to the SPL and move on. The next appointment is really important and we should not rush in. 

If he wins promotion with Sunderland in his 1st season he'll be off before you can say "improved contract"

Thanks for everything Jack.The last 18 months has been a quite incredible journey and I've loved every minute of it.You managed to re-unite our Club and have left us in a much better place than you found us and for that I will be forever thankful.

Why then am I left with a sour taste in my mouth?

3 hours ago, YorkshireMackem said:

Evening! Sunderland fan in peace here, just trying to find out a little more about Ross.. what can we expect from him?

You're a canny club and I wish you all the best for the coming season back in the big time. I reckon you'll take a few scalps.

He's sh!te and we'll be glad to see the back of him. High ball tactics with no man management skills. Tell your chairman he's toxic.

1 minute ago, HSS said:

If he wins promotion with Sunderland in his 1st season he'll be off before you can say "improved contract"

Thanks for everything Jack.The last 18 months has been a quite incredible journey and I've loved every minute of it.You managed to re-unite our Club and have left us in a much better place than you found us and for that I will be forever thankful.

You're not alone with the sour taste John. He done a great job for us and spoke of consolidating our position in the premiership, then does what he does by chasing the money, he doesn't owe us anything, but i can't help feeling like kicking his arse. And yes if he gets Sunderland promoted he will be offski from there too i feel.

He hasn't gone yet and he may even be looking for a better post by using Ipswich and Sunderland to get his name out there, it's going to drag on i think and that can only be bad for us.

12 minutes ago, HSS said:

Because it now looks like JR is a fly by night opportunist with no commitment. Sunderland should tread carefully.

I can't see why he'd be off quickly if he won the league with Sunderland. First off, with their wage budget and attendance figures they should be winning that league anyway. Relegation friends Barnsley and Burton shouldn't cause many problems to them, and Blackburn and Wigan have escaped so there are no big names to challenge. Secondly, if promoted, Sunderland would probably still be able to offer him more than most Championship clubs. EPL sides wont take interest in someone winning League One with a side expected to win it.

Some of you need to take a good look in the mirror with the "money chasing" comments.

Absolutely every single one of you would do the same in his position. Every. Single. One.

Jack owes us nothing; we owe him everything for saving our club from reaching the lowest point in its history and God knows what kind of future.

Jack, you deserve this move, good luck and I sincerely hope you take Sunderland to the top of the Premier League. Then we can enjoy the fact that a top, top manager once managed our small but wonderful club.

We move on and look forward to the next chapter for our club - one that is still hugely exciting for us all, something we should not lose sight of.

52 minutes ago, StuD said:

"Self entitled" fits this lot perfectly. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about St Mirren fans on the internet. Most of them do hypocrisy so confidently it almost looks ironic. 

That's a bit rich coming from someone who once openly bragged on a football forum about returning a DVD player to a store and launching it across a counter, aimed directly at a hapless employee of Currys or the like because the poor wee spotty teenager getting minimum wage couldn't instantly satisfy your consumer request.

Or from someone who has on numerous occasion stamped his feet in relation to SMFC and SMISA for not getting his way.

You're the biggest self-entitled tantrum thrower on this f**king site despite having some cracking competition that you see off with ease.

7 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I can't see why he'd be off quickly if he won the league with Sunderland. First off, with their wage budget and attendance figures they should be winning that league anyway. Relegation friends Barnsley and Burton shouldn't cause many problems to them, and Blackburn and Wigan have escaped so there are no big names to challenge. Secondly, if promoted, Sunderland would probably still be able to offer him more than most Championship clubs. EPL sides wont take interest in someone winning League One with a side expected to win it.

Sunderland is a seriously big club.  The stadium holds 49.000. The 9th Biggest in England.  Even in a difficult season they never fell below 24000 and reached 31000.  If  Jack can engage with the fans there as he did here then expect both to rise quickly.  (our average crowd increased by almost 50 per cent from the season before he came until this one just past.  Apply that to Sunderland and your looking at 36000 to 46000. Serious crowds,  even more serious money.  The club is also debt free (as was Saints).  Nothing for him not to like and just over the border.  I'm dissapointed,  not angry.  

9 minutes ago, DundeeBuddie said:

Some of you need to take a good look in the mirror with the "money chasing" comments.

Absolutely every single one of you would do the same in his position. Every. Single. One.

Jack owes us nothing; we owe him everything for saving our club from reaching the lowest point in its history and God knows what kind of future.

Jack, you deserve this move, good luck and I sincerely hope you take Sunderland to the top of the Premier League. Then we can enjoy the fact that a top, top manager once managed our small but wonderful club.

We move on and look forward to the next chapter for our club - one that is still hugely exciting for us all, something we should not lose sight of.

Well said. Either a lot St Mirren fans make excellent drones who happily work for whatever they're given and never look to better themselves, or there are a lot of f**king hypocrites on here.

8 minutes ago, DundeeBuddie said:

As a St Mirren and Newcastle United fan, this would be a double kick in the stones. With all due respect, if Jack Ross takes the Wearside gig, all I wish for his club is to be pumped even more than the hapless Mackems have been getting skelped over recent seasons.

Do I feel bitter? Not at all. It isn’t worth it these days. You get a player or manager who stands out, and they’re off. (Lewis Morgan / Jack Ross). It’s a waste of time these days. The best path, in my opinion, is to have players in the Shuggie Murray mould, who are good, but aren’t going to attract the attention of the Selliks of this world, and for a manager, you want a Tommy Wright type, who does a great job but sails under the radar.

Fcuk Sunderland. Sorry Jack.

Down playing football at the dome tonight and a mate spoke to Tony Fitzpatrick as we were leaving and he said that this afternoon was the first that the club had heard about the interest from Sunderland.

Jack will be off to Sunderland and will most likely be appointed manager within the next 48 hours if not sooner.

Sunderland are a massive club and a great place for Jack to move to now under new ownership etc.  Along with Villa and Leeds they are one of the biggest clubs outside the Premier league.

I know the club has been on the way down for the last couple of years but a mirror image of what he took over at us. Fans unhappy and detached from the club with little to be positive about.  I think Jack would get them promoted and get himself noticed as they have surely bottomed out now.

I would wish Jack all the best for his future at Sunderland and feel no ill feeling at all. Things maybe haven't been done quite the way they should but Jack was always going to be off after winning manager of the year and you can't blame him. 

Time for him to move on and for us to concentrate on what really matters to us all, the future of St Mirren Football Club.

The board will have a shortlist of names for a new manager and will get acting on it once this is all resolved with Jack. I wonder who it will be?

Onwards and upwards!

Edited by Mr Zo

34 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

You're not alone with the sour taste John. He done a great job for us and spoke of consolidating our position in the premiership, then does what he does by chasing the money, he doesn't owe us anything, but i can't help feeling like kicking his arse. And yes if he gets Sunderland promoted he will be offski from there too i feel.

He hasn't gone yet and he may even be looking for a better post by using Ipswich and Sunderland to get his name out there, it's going to drag on i think and that can only be bad for us.

He's going from around 3 grand a week to around 15 grand a week. On what planet would a sane human being turn that down?

21 minutes ago, Mr Zo said:

Down playing football at the dome tonight and a mate spoke to Tony Fitzpatrick as we were leaving and he said that this afternoon was the first that the club had heard about the interest from Sunderland.

Jack will be off to Sunderland and will most likely be appointed manager within the next 48 hours if not sooner.

Sunderland are a massive club and a great place for Jack to move to now under new ownership etc.  Along with Villa and Leeds they are one of the clubs outside the Premier league.

I know the club has been on the way down for the last couple of years but a mirror image of what he took over at us. Fans unhappy and detached from the club with little to be positive about.  I think Jack would get them promoted and get himself noticed as they have surely bottomed out now.

I would wish Jack all the best for his future at Sunderland and feel no ill feeling at all. Things maybe haven't been done quite the way they should but Jack was always going to be off after winning manager of the year and you can't blame him. 

Time for him to move on and for us to concentrate on what really matters to us all, the future of St Mirren Football Club.

The board will have a shortlist of names for a new manager and will get acting on it once this is all resolved with Jack. I wonder who it will be?

Onwards and upwards!

was chatting to an Alloa fan on Saturday who was at their promotion party the previous evening and were chatting to Goodie about Jack and the Ipswich job , Goodie  told him he reckoned Jack would get the Sunderland job  ( Alloa fan went to the bookies , but could only get 5/1 , so never put a bet on ) , so I suspect there would have been a few people about expecting this .

I would be happy if Robbie Neilson or David Hopkin got the post , failing that a Jim Goodwin / Danny Lennon combination would be ok , or even James Fowler being promoted  . 

Guest TPAFKATS
Was a graveyard. Best possible time to get Sunderland job. What a fantastic chance Jack Ross has now.
Indeed. They gone as low as they are likely to get. Now debt free and under new ownership they are a big club in the small league 1 pond and while they may not stroll it, they should be back up in the championship after next season.
This gives jack an extra year of experience prior to tackling it.

For me this is par for the course.

52 years old and today I feel exactly the same as I did when Peter Weir left for Aberdeen and when Macca left for   the Hammers.

Just Ike those great players, despite my disappointment I wish JR no ill will. For me he gave us the most exciting 18 months I can remember for a very long time.

The only thing that sticks in my craw, is that looking at the Sunderland forum , the stupid bassturts don't even realise what a gem they've got. Usual arrogant English pish about how crap the Scottish league is etc etc.

I really hope JR makes them eat their words.

Cheers JR Still the man.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

That's a bit rich coming from someone who once openly bragged on a football forum about returning a DVD player to a store and launching it across a counter, aimed directly at a hapless employee of Currys or the like because the poor wee spotty teenager getting minimum wage couldn't instantly satisfy your consumer request.

Or from someone who has on numerous occasion stamped his feet in relation to SMFC and SMISA for not getting his way.

You're the biggest self-entitled tantrum thrower on this f**king site despite having some cracking competition that you see off with ease.

Well you've quite clearly made that up :rolleyes: 

It was Comet. And the spotty teenager on minimum wage got his manager for me before I threw the DVD player at a wall.