Sunderland Speak To Jack Ross

44 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

For me this is par for the course.

52 years old and today I feel exactly the same as I did when Peter Weir left for Aberdeen and when Macca left for   the Hammers.

Just Ike those great players, despite my disappointment I wish JR no ill will. For me he gave us the most exciting 18 months I can remember for a very long time.

The only thing that sticks in my craw, is that looking at the Sunderland forum , the stupid bassturts don't even realise what a gem they've got. Usual arrogant English pish about how crap the Scottish league is etc etc.

I really hope JR makes them eat their words.

Cheers JR Still the man.

On Facebook some of them are creaming themselves. One of the best posts claimed that Jack Ross has St Mirren "playing like the Harlem Globetrotters". I'm not even sure if St Mirren basketball team is still on the go? 

The ones that are more pragmatic are right though. Ross hasn't got a clue what he's about to step into.

He's going from a club with an turnover of around £2.5m to a club who's last set of accounts showed the turnover at £108m, and that was before they sold Jordan Pickford for £20 million. To put that into context Celtics annual turnover is £90.6m.  

He's going to a club where even the club ambassador has more footballing pedigree than him. Kevin Ball is not only a Sunderland legend, he is also credited with the man who coached the current England captain and the current England goalkeeper at the Academy of Light.

He's going to a club where the "bad apples" in the dressing room are being paid £40,000 per week whilst refusing to play. 

He's going to a club where the owner has said they can't afford mistakes on the transfer market. He'll have £10m to play with. Every penny better be wisely spent or he'll be under pressure. 

He's going to a club where 40,000 fans will be on his case if the team doesn't start the season off with a string of wins - he won't be able to confront them like he did at Paisley. 

On the plus side if he'd got a two year contract and he f**ks it up he'll walk away a £millionaire. 

Edited by StuD

On Facebook some of them are creaming themselves. One of the best posts claimed that Jack Ross has St Mirren "playing like the Harlem Globetrotters". I'm not even sure if St Mirren basketball team is still on the go? 
The ones that are more pragmatic are right though. Ross hasn't got a clue what he's about to step into.
He's going from a club with an turnover of around £2.5m to a club who's last set of accounts showed the turnover at £108m, and that was before they sold Jordan Pickford for £20 million. To put that into context Celtics annual turnover is £90.6m.  
He's going to a club where even the club ambassador has more footballing pedigree than him. Kevin Ball is not only a Sunderland legend, he is also credited with the man who coached the current England captain and the current England goalkeeper at the Academy of Light.
He's going to a club where the "bad apples" in the dressing room are being paid £40,000 per week whilst refusing to play. 
He's going to a club where the owner has said they can't afford mistakes on the transfer market. He'll have £10m to play with. Every penny better be wisely spent or he'll be under pressure. 
He's going to a club where 40,000 fans will be on his case if the team doesn't start the season off with a string of wins - he won't be able to confront them like he did at Paisley. 
On the plus side if he'd got a two year contract and he f**ks it up he'll walk away a £millionaire. 

Time you got some sleep, who knows tomorrow might be a better day for you.

As some have said above, Jack is a professional who rightly so is looking after his career. Who wouldn’t? I think every moment he has been with the club he has given us 110%

when he goes, and it looking increasingly likely he will, let us thank him for the incredible journey he has taken us on over past 18 months. When you start mud slinging, think back 14 point off the bottom of the league. Just remember how that felt, then remember The celebrations last month.

He will be a hard act to follow as he has not only coached the team but has rebuilt the spirit in the club.

the next guy produces a few good results, we will be asking “Jack who?”,  Jack has a bad start to next season and the usual suspects would be baying for his head  we football fans are impossible to please.  If honest, we have no loyalty either.  Our memories are only as good as the last 3 results  

the King is dead, long live the King!

6 hours ago, StuD said:

Well you've quite clearly made that up :rolleyes:

It was Comet. And the spotty teenager on minimum wage got his manager for me before I threw the DVD player at a wall. 

Wow. That's me told and changes everything, apologies. 

You now come out of that anecdote looking like a million dollars. :lol:

6 hours ago, StuD said:

Yeah you’re probably right. He should just stay at a wee club for the rest of his career on the basis that he’s never managed a big club before. 

There's  two losers out of this.   Ipswich, who if they hadn't fannied around could have had Jack a week ago. Obviously us, lossing a great manager and problably a couple of potential signing unsure of who was going to be in charge.   One winner, Sunderland. 

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

So, two huge questions remain to be answered:

1. Who will replace Jack Ross?

2. Why the f**k isn't Dickson in the Wank Tank?

Not necessarily in that order.

Solitary confinement surely a better option. 

Interesting that we can expect a couple of new signings this week. How many times does Fitzy drop Sir Alex into his interviews? It gets a bit boring.
Hope Jack gets announced at Sunderland today and we can all start concentrating on getting our new gaffer in and building for an exciting new season.
Gutted to see Jack go, but it was inevitable. His ambition and drive is what turned us around in the first place, giving us a great ride up to the top flight, but the flip side is that he is aiming higher than us in his career path. It’s not been an ideal parting, but it was always going to be a sore one. He’s taking on a big challenge at Sunderland, but if he can pull off an eventual promotion to the EPL(big ask), he’ll be a legend down there and a millionaire. We need to appreciate and be grateful for what he’s done for St Mirren. I suppose we all know how Alloa fans felt 18 months ago.

I’m actually embarrassed by the way the club have handled this whether Sunderland went about it the wrong way.

Evans had the perfect guy that almost every Town fan would want and still insisted on waiting for Hurst who he hasn’t even interviewed yet! Time wasted for you lot as well.

I wish Ross well at Sunderland but if it doesn’t work straight away, can’t see them giving him time. They’ve had as many managers (15) since 2000 as we have in our football league history! 

We’re going to end up with Chris Coleman aren’t we :o

I don't think anyone can really deny Jack this massive opportunity. Regardless of what league Sunderland are in, their past financial difficulties or their turnover of managers, they are a massive club who were in the Premiership up until the end of last April/May and he is likely to be a millionaire within the next 3-4 years.

The club seems like it is having a freshen up in staff and the boardroom and this is their opportunity to start a fresh in a league they should be winning at first attempt.

Whatever has happened behind the scenes at Sunderland, it does sound like they haven't played ball fairly with releases from the media before an actual approach to our club was made. Absolutely disrespectful. This part of the scenario really disappoints me as we will never really know until Jack signs what happened from his side.

I think we all accepted this summer after the Ipswich approach that he was likely to leave, though not in the manner Sunderland have dealt with things.

Jack has strengthened our club as a whole and brought everyone together and took us back to where we belong. I would have loved for him to have stayed to see how far he could have taken us in the premiership, though we have been a victim of our own success it seems.

We now move on and find the best candidate for the job.

Thanks for the memories and some of the greatest times supporting our club.

So, two huge questions remain to be answered:
1. Who will replace Jack Ross?
2. Why the f**k isn't Dickson in the Wank Tank?
Not necessarily in that order.

It’s ironic that the term ‘Wank Tank’ was dreamt up by pozbaird.

Also ironic that he’s now in his own self imposed Wank Tank after disgracing himself yet again a couple of weeks ago.

An odious character, good riddance!

16 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Signing a deal with a £50k buyout isn't keeping your prized asset, it's packing his bags for him. At the stage in February we were in the position to negotiate based on the assumption we'd very likely be in the SP with or without him there for the rest of the season. It was very much job done.

I can't think of one logical reason to make him the highest paid manager in our history for four months then give him the option to leave for pennies. 

Second & third paragraph, yeah working on assumptions. Like I said my first post was asking if someone could clarify it, I'm not saying this is 100% the case. I sincerely hope it's not true because if it, it's beyond ridiculous and whoever signed the deal off needs to have a word with themselves. 

Figures are relevant only to the business and sector you are in. Unless you know what similar sized clubs in similar situations have in their contracts with their managers, you're making a completely irrelevant point.

"Beyond ridiculous" :lol: Getting a little carried away with yourself now...

Just now, Soctty said:

Figures are relevant only to the business and sector you are in. Unless you know what similar sized clubs in similar situations have in their contracts with their managers, you're making a completely irrelevant point.

"Beyond ridiculous" :lol: Getting a little carried away with yourself now...

Well it looks like Tony has confirmed there was no contract in February anyway.

Kinda backs up giving him a huge payrise in February with a tiny buyout would be 'beyond ridiculous' don't you think? :rolleyes: