Sunderland Speak To Jack Ross

13 minutes ago, gstretchuk said:

It's not fact he left for bigger salary..it's how he went about it pimping himself out to whatever club offered him most money. He couldn't wait to get away..left us in a very difficult position when he left and the timing of it....i for one thank him for what he did but he is forgotten now...won't ever forget how he left us though...

Have we quantum leaped back to May? Just like May, there's no proof he was the one actively pursuing other jobs and even if he was, so what? Have you never looked at a higher paid role and applied? 

10 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I think after the MoTY Award it was definitely his moment to maximise the value of his follow on job - I have more of a gripe with TF/GLS who seemed to ignore JR had been sanctioned to go for a major squad rebuild and dithered for the best part of a month without pursuing any of JRs before hiring a replacement manager, Stubbs, although that's a different calamity.

Yep, said this at the time as it dragged on and on. The wisdom of the crowd on b&w army was against me of course.

It was obvious there was a pretty high chance that he was going to move, we were actually quite fortunate he saw out the season and got us over the line. There should have been two or three options for manager sounded out and contracts ready to be offered. We know perfectly well the type of manager that is required for the first season back in the Premier League, there's no need for all the fannying about with appliciations, numerous interviews and bumping our gums in the press about Patrick Kluivert and Guti.

Jack was a man in demand. We should have been ready to extort Sunderland for every penny possible (and no f**king friendlies), and had Jim McIntyre in the door the very next day. Not a glamorous option but he'd have done the job.

Too much fannying about in the summer has been our downfall. Jack didn't do anything wrong, and it should be remembered he could have left before the title was won.

16 minutes ago, gstretchuk said:

Certainly not sad and don't think im a loser...u a Jack fan-boy?

Dunno. What is a "fan-boy"?

Does that mean I appreciate what JR did for us and wish him well in the future? If so, then yes. Does it mean I'm a grown up and understand that sometimes people deservedly move on to better things? If so, then yes.

Not sure what my opinion of JR has to do with you being so eaten up with resentment towards arguably our best manager since Fergie, because he dared to move to a considerably better job, that you go out of your way each week to check Sunderland's score hoping they have been pumped. :huh:

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Does that mean I appreciate what JR did for us and wish him well in the future? If so, then yes. Does it mean I'm a grown up and understand that sometimes people deservedly move on to better things? If so, then yes.

Not sure what my opinion of JR has to do with you being so eaten up with resentment towards arguably our best manager since Fergie, because he dared to move to a considerably better job, that you go out of your way each week to check Sunderland's score hoping they have been pumped. :huh:

It's in the same way he checks his ex's Facebook page in the hope she has been chucked by her new boyfriend.

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Best manager since Fergie??? U having a laugh? Danny Lennon and Gus did far more for us...

I have no idea how Sunderland are faring under JR. Nor do I care. That doesn't mean that I don't think he did a good job with us. He did. Time to move on. He is now just one of a number of ex managers who have come and gone since I started watching in 1974. I wish them all well. 

2 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Best manager since Fergie??? U having a laugh? Danny Lennon and Gus did far more for us...

I think you (deliberately) missed a key word there. Namely “arguably”.

JR is without doubt arguably our best manager since Fergie.

He only had 18 months with us and in that time in terms of actually trophies he matched what Gus achieved despite Gus having years with us. Danny to his credit won a major trophy which is no mean feat and if we want to get really desperate led us to our highest league position for years. That might be something to shout about if it had been 3rd or even top 6. Given that it simply meant we didn’t have to worry about relegation that season I don’t think it’s going to carry much weight with anyone outside of St. Mirren.

However, the key measure of “best Manager” is not only what these guys did in their short time with us, but what they did in their careers. For both Danny and Gus, their time with us proved to be the height of their careers. Both were sacked by us and both have done feck all of any note since then.

JR presided over the biggest turnaround our club has seen in its modern history, taking us from certain relegation to the 3rd tier, to league champions in the space of a season and a half. He didn’t leave us because he was sacked, he left because a much bigger club recognised his undoubted talent and wanted to procure his services. So he is already doing a bigger job that Gus or Danny could ever have dreamt of doing and it’s my prediction that he will go on to be a top manager. Time will tell on that. Unfortunately for us, because he was so successful and talented, we’ll never get to know what he might have done for us given the same tenure as Gus and Danny.

For the above reasons, JR is without doubt “arguably” the best manager we have had since Fergie. 

On 2/4/2019 at 9:35 AM, Bud the Baker said:

I think after the MoTY Award it was definitely his moment to maximise the value of his follow on job - I have more of a gripe with TF/GLS who seemed to ignore JR had been sanctioned to go for a major squad rebuild and dithered for the best part of a month without pursuing any of JRs targets before hiring a replacement manager, Stubbs, although that's a different calamity.

In fairness though maybe they looked at who Jack had already signed up for the premiership: Danny Mullen, Myles Hippolyte, Ryan Flynn, new contract to Gary MacKenzie., and we also had both Ross Stewarts and Jordan Kirkpatrick under contract for this season as well.

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

He only had 18 months with us and in that time in terms of actually trophies he matched what Gus achieved despite Gus having years with us. Danny to his credit won a major trophy which is no mean feat and if we want to get really desperate led us to our highest league position for years. That might be something to shout about if it had been 3rd or even top 6. Given that it simply meant we didn’t have to worry about relegation that season I don’t think it’s going to carry much weight with anyone outside of St. Mirren.

However, the key measure of “best Manager” is not only what these guys did in their short time with us, but what they did in their careers. For both Danny and Gus, their time with us proved to be the height of their careers. Both were sacked by us and both have done feck all of any note since then.

JR presided over the biggest turnaround our club has seen in its modern history, taking us from certain relegation to the 3rd tier, to league champions in the space of a season and a half. He didn’t leave us because he was sacked, he left because a much bigger club recognised his undoubted talent and wanted to procure his services. So he is already doing a bigger job that Gus or Danny could ever have dreamt of doing and it’s my prediction that he will go on to be a top manager. Time will tell on that. Unfortunately for us, because he was so successful and talented, we’ll never get to know what he might have done for us given the same tenure as Gus and Danny.

For the above reasons, JR is without doubt “arguably” the best manager we have had since Fergie. 

Relegation only began to look certain after JR lost his first 6 league games in a row and only picked up a few points in December and January...

Going by who Jack signed up for this season (see above) Jack would have had to surpass Fergie is he was going to have us challenging for top 6 with Hippolyte, Mullen, Flynn etc in the starting XI.

7 minutes ago, Yflab said:

It could be argued that Alex Smith is better that JR.

Won a major trophy with Saints and then went on to win two further major trophies with the sheep.

JR may never win a major trophy in his career. Just saying......

Tongue in cheek - surely he won the RENFREWSHIRE CUP  ?   :P

As well as the Championship Trophy.  (Aye awe right that was 2nd tier)

Relegation only began to look certain after JR lost his first 6 league games in a row and only picked up a few points in December and January... Going by who Jack signed up for this season (see above) Jack would have had to surpass Fergie is he was going to have us challenging for top 6 with Hippolyte, Mullen, Flynn etc in the starting XI.      

Forgot about Hippolyte! Currently warming the bench at a team in the bottom half of the Championship. There was a near meltdown on this forum after he was released! 

On the subject of Gus, he also took over as we were fighting relegation to the 3rd tier. Within 18 months he had us finishing runners up to a good Falkirk side. Then won the league the following season.

He then kept us in the top flight, first time we’d managed that in a quarter of a century, and we were still there when he left 4 years later.

He got us to our first major final in a quarter of a century, first Scottish Cup semi final in a quarter of a century, first League Cup final in over half a century, won our first games against both halves of the Old Firm in a quarter of a century and our biggest league win over Celtic in a century.

You can certainly put forward an argument for Gus.

Their is no denying that JR did a fantastic job. However, for all his many signings, the only ones who are regulars now are the McGinn brothers, both of whom had been at the club before. He didn’t leave any foundations for us staying up this season. When Gus got us promoted, it was by and large the same squad which kept us up.

In what way?
Jim Clunie, Ricky McFarlane, Alex Miller, Alex Smith and even Tony Fitzpatrick all achieved higher league finishes and higher points totals than Danny Lennon.
Take the managers who have won a national trophy, look at the league position 4 seasons 2 8th places and a trophy, no relegations. Ricky McFarlane had the best league position ever but only once and won nothing.

Sorry but facts Gus won a league and the challenge cup.

JR won a league.

The rest I'd agree with.

13 minutes ago, Mykey said:
23 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:
In what way?
Jim Clunie, Ricky McFarlane, Alex Miller, Alex Smith and even Tony Fitzpatrick all achieved higher league finishes and higher points totals than Danny Lennon.

Take the managers who have won a national trophy, look at the league position 4 seasons 2 8th places and a trophy, no relegations. Ricky McFarlane had the best league position ever but only once and won nothing.

Take managers who have won the Scottish Cup and finished higher than 8th (neither of which Danny Lennon managed), then its Alex Smith.

Take % win rates then I think most of the guys I mentioned trump Lennon.

It was Jim Clunie who achieved the highest finish btw, not McFarlane.

Lennon also achieved his success after Rangers were dead and Hearts were in administration.

The guys I mentioned were not just up against both halves of the Old Firm but also European powers like Aberdeen & Dundee United.

Edited by Wendy Saintss