Sunderland Speak To Jack Ross

I wasn’t on here at the time but I’d have been the same as many, thinking Murray was an excellent appointment and just what we needed at the time. Unfortunately it didn’t work out, but I do think he still has a chance of making himself a decent managerial career. It’s at a vital point now but if he gets the next couple of years right, he could be okay.

43 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Murray was a car crash of a disaster for us.
I remember so many posters on here celebrating his appointment citing the fact that he didn't get relegated with Dumbarton as a big achievement ffs...
He ws pish with a dog turd flake stuck on top.

Muarry done a fantastic job at Dumbarton. As soon as Murray arrived Dumbarton turned around as a club. I guess you'll say it was down to his assistant Jack Ross but many forget Jack Ross was assistant to Alan Adamson beforehand.

I guess the job Goodwin done at Alloa was nothing to write home about also. Or maybe its really Lee Sharp who is the brains.

Things didn't work out for Ian Murray at St Mirren but he's been doing pretty well elsewhere. Interesting few seasons ahead for him.

3 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

I felt for Murray with us.
Wrong appointment at the wrong time, but I still think he has potential to be a top manager.

At Saints, he was younger than the core group of players who ruled the roost. I reckon they were as much to blame as him.

25 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Muarry done a fantastic job at Dumbarton. As soon as Murray arrived Dumbarton turned around as a club. I guess you'll say it was down to his assistant Jack Ross but many forget Jack Ross was assistant to Alan Adamson beforehand.

I guess the job Goodwin done at Alloa was nothing to write home about also. Or maybe its really Lee Sharp who is the brains.

Things didn't work out for Ian Murray at St Mirren but he's been doing pretty well elsewhere. Interesting few seasons ahead for him.

Murray's signings for us  say it all - he re-signed Gow on a one year deal, Agnew, Carswell, McMullan (who was not at the level ability wise at that time), Conlan, Howieson, Calum Gallgher,  Webster and Watson (decent but injury prone) , Shankland (immature at the time), McGrath, and Reid.

12 players and only 1, perhaps 2 were any good at that time  … Mullan and Shankland have improved since but with them we were awful at that time.

It's a results business and the players he signed meant his fate was sealed...

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Murray was a car crash of a disaster for us.
I remember so many posters on here celebrating his appointment citing the fact that he didn't get relegated with Dumbarton as a big achievement ffs...
He ws pish with a dog turd flake stuck on top.

I wholly agreed with you on this all the way through Murray's tenure . . .

If you define "fantastic job" as not getting relegated then yes. He took our club backwards and was sacked at.... guess where?

48 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:
2 hours ago, lenziebud said:

If you define "fantastic job" as not getting relegated then yes. He took our club backwards and was sacked at.... guess where?

Not getting relegated from the Championship with part time teams and avoiding play offs is a fantastic job.

I totally agree with you that Ian Murray's time at SMFC was a abysmal but I'd be careful about writing him off completely. Time will tell

7 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Fine you state your opinion on how quick or slow a team are in appointing a new manager. It can work well or dreadful both ways though.

Ross did far better at Sunderland than he is given credit for - it was a huge step up with very high expectations to a team who had been in continuous freefall - he failed in extra time in the last play-off match - it was that close. But the failure was as much the players failure as his. This season never started well, but his successor is not doing anywhere nearly as well as Ross was...

You have to be having a laugh mentioning Ian Murray - he was clueless with us - tactically and in signing players. Murray is "doing well" in the lower leagues but has had a very decent assistant and has replaced him with another good one. Let's watch and see his career and see if he makes progress - he was truly terrible for us...  

Yes mentioning Ian Murray was a joke in the context off how flavour of the month managers get big jobs. I think guys like Tommy Wright and Stephen Robinson etc are far better qualified for a club at the level of Hibs. Ross has no proven experience of success at that level at all. Also think Sunderland appointing him was a mistake on their part. They should have went for a Phil Parkinson figure all day long at  the time and they would probably be in the Championship now. 

I mentioned Murray in the context of him over the next few season being successful and getting a pile of plaudits, Ross not cutting it at Hibs and then guess what ex Hibee Murray gets the job. It was just an example of some of the type of nonsense appointments that get made. 

4 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Murray's second full season season at Dumbarton should have been looked at by the SMFC board. They even got hammered by a Cowdenbeath side who finished bottom that year.

Guest TPAFKATS
Wonder how many goals we'd get from Fergie's attack, attack, attack philosophy matched with our current group of strikers?
We started with 2 strikers in our last game. They both scored.

Yes mentioning Ian Murray was a joke in the context off how flavour of the month managers get big jobs. I think guys like Tommy Wright and Stephen Robinson etc are far better qualified for a club at the level of Hibs. Ross has no proven experience of success at that level at all. Also think Sunderland appointing him was a mistake on their part. They should have went for a Phil Parkinson figure all day long at  the time and they would probably be in the Championship now. 
I mentioned Murray in the context of him over the next few season being successful and getting a pile of plaudits, Ross not cutting it at Hibs and then guess what ex Hibee Murray gets the job. It was just an example of some of the type of nonsense appointments that get made. 
Ross took a Sunderland who were in chaos to Wembley twice last season, o lying two managers in England have better success stats, that's Klopp & Guardiola. At Hibs he will get them playing again, wouldn't be surprised to see him in for Magennis or another of ours in the new year.

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:
14 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Ross took a Sunderland who were in chaos to Wembley twice last season, o lying two managers in England have better success stats, that's Klopp & Guardiola. At Hibs he will get them playing again, wouldn't be surprised to see him in for Magennis or another of ours in the new year.

It would take a lot of cash to get Magennis. I can't see that one

42 minutes ago, Ethan said:

It would take a lot of cash to get Magennis. I can't see that one

I know a lot of Saints fans think this - but he is not too impressive this season. It could be for all sorts of reasons. I really expected him to kick on, fine lad who appears to have loads of potential, but needs to start showing it far more often...

13 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:
On 11/17/2019 at 8:37 PM, lenziebud said:

Morgan on loan is more likely than Magennis. Magennis for me hasn't done enough at Premiership level so far to merit a move to Hibs. Injuries haven't helped but he needs to step up a level. 

13 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:
On 11/17/2019 at 8:37 PM, lenziebud said:

Big job for Jack Ross, next season will be the time to judge him.

57 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Aye he's joined a club with a relatively new owner who wants to invest whilst involving the support, and a very professional management and backroom structure.
If he gets them playing good football they'll be singing Sunshine on Leith to him

TWO points:-

1) If they are very professional, they have failed even more than our BOD and have been seriously underachieving for a while with a much bigger budget than us...

2) The IF yes it is unknown and will his start be like it was with us. i.e very poor for quite a while? IF so will they be patient with him? Personally think they have some very good players, but have some obvious areas that need sorting - so JR should manage to fix at least some of their problems, but it depends on who they can get in January. Just like it is for the rest of us near the wrong end of the table.

This is on paper a great job for JR with a very high chance of improving their stats for the rest of this season and next. Let's be honest JG should be able to improve ours too... if not he will be gone...

Agree. And good luck to him (obviously apart from Tues 26th Nov, when I hope he’s still finding his feet and we take them to the cleaners !)

Absolutely,good luck to him.

He done a good job for us and that should be recognised and respected.

Too many bitter spiteful people on here spreading their ‘wisdom & negativity’

Guest TPAFKATS

Absolutely,good luck to him.

He done a good job for us and that should be recognised and respected.

Too many bitter spiteful people on here spreading their ‘wisdom & negativity’

Please don't include me in this. I respected what he did and wished him well when he left for England. Now he's managing a team in direct competition with us, I have no interest in him being successful.

I bet he's now raging he never held out for the spurs job [emoji1]