Sunderland Speak To Jack Ross

27 minutes ago, Hambud said:

Sorry but facts Gus won a league and the challenge cup.

JR won a league.

The rest I'd agree with.

Sorry, yes I forgot about the Challenge Cup. JR only got us to the final. :P

All decent opinions on this recent topic and I'm certainly happy for cases to be made for Clunie, McFarlane, Miller and Smith. Lennon is a strange one. Yes he won our only League Cup in our history which is extremely notable, but in all honestly did bugger all else of any note. Gus for me was just a solid, steady unremarkable manager who did a decent job and gave us one very enjoyable season (albeit for me not as enjoyable as 99/00 or last season - or half of the season before for that matter!). For me he isn't in the same category as the others. You could also argue that it's slightly unfair to compare 70/80s managers' league placing achievements with those of the more recent ones, as it was a much more level playing field in those days.

All healthy debate though and I still think JR will go on to be an exceptional manager for a top club.

I suppose I could sum it up by saying that (as a 52 year old man) the period from January 17 to May 18 was my most enjoyable period supporting St. Mirren since the early 80s. You could say in the whole of my adult life. That has to count for something in respect of where I hold JR in our list of managers.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

16 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Fighting for our lives with important games coming with the first tonight  yet a debate whether Donald Duck is better than Tom & Jerry :unsure: 

In fairness it's a thread about Jack Ross.

If you want to debate tonight's game, you can do that on the matchday thread.

Here to help.

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Sorry, yes I forgot about the Challenge Cup. JR only got us to the final. :P

All decent opinions on this recent topic and I'm certainly happy for cases to be made for Clunie, McFarlane, Miller and Smith. Lennon is a strange one. Yes he won our only League Cup in our history which is extremely notable, but in all honestly did bugger all else of any note. Gus for me was just a solid, steady unremarkable manager who did a decent job and gave us one very enjoyable season (albeit for me not as enjoyable as 99/00 or last season - or half of the season before for that matter!). For me he isn't in the same category as the others. You could also argue that it's slightly unfair to compare 70/80s managers' league placing achievements with those of the more recent ones, as it was a much more level playing field in those days.

All healthy debate though and I still think JR will go on to be an exceptional manager for a top club.

I suppose I could sum it up by saying that (as a 52 year old man) the period from January 17 to May 18 was my most enjoyable period supporting St. Mirren since the early 80s. You could say in the whole of my adult life. That has to count for something in respect of where I hold JR in our list of managers.

Surely not as the Tom Hendrie season was magical, last season doesn't even come close....Jack Ross never tested himself at top level in Scotland so could never be considered a top manager or top Saints manager...

Sorry, yes I forgot about the Challenge Cup. JR only got us to the final. [emoji14]

The Tom Hendrie 99/00 season was my most enjoyable season. [emoji106]

7 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Forgot about Hippolyte! Currently warming the bench at a team in the bottom half of the Championship. There was a near meltdown on this forum after he was released! 

On the subject of Gus, he also took over as we were fighting relegation to the 3rd tier. Within 18 months he had us finishing runners up to a good Falkirk side. Then won the league the following season.

He then kept us in the top flight, first time we’d managed that in a quarter of a century, and we were still there when he left 4 years later.

He got us to our first major final in a quarter of a century, first Scottish Cup semi final in a quarter of a century, first League Cup final in over half a century, won our first games against both halves of the Old Firm in a quarter of a century and our biggest league win over Celtic in a century.

You can certainly put forward an argument for Gus.

Their is no denying that JR did a fantastic job. However, for all his many signings, the only ones who are regulars now are the McGinn brothers, both of whom had been at the club before. He didn’t leave any foundations for us staying up this season. When Gus got us promoted, it was by and large the same squad which kept us up.

Spot on. Robbie Neillson made that point last night.

JR  left us with a short term squad just built for promotition

He said it no surprise to see us struggling unlike Livi who kept more or less the same squad

Too many loanees not ideal for every window

3 hours ago, Mykey said:
3 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:
In what way?
Jim Clunie, Ricky McFarlane, Alex Miller, Alex Smith and even Tony Fitzpatrick all achieved higher league finishes and higher points totals than Danny Lennon.

Take the managers who have won a national trophy, look at the league position 4 seasons 2 8th places and a trophy, no relegations. Ricky McFarlane had the best league position ever but only once and won nothing.

You could argue McFarlane was robbed of 2 finals

He also got us our highest points total

We amassed more points than the season we finished 3rd

I love the way we just write off the late 70s and 80s teams and managers

That was our best ever time as a St Mirren fan

Never done that great before that time apart from a couple of cup wins

Not that great after it either

Clunie, McFarlane and Miller did fantastic jobs on a hard core base of 3000 fans

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

The Tom Hendrie 99/00 season was my most enjoyable season. emoji106.png

It's sheer out of the blueness and THs ability to get up the noses of opposition fans & management were awesome!

GMs season in 2005/06 was efficient but ever so slightly duller.

JRs season must trump them both as I've never seen a season where the fans & players were so much in harmony! :wub:

28 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

It's sheer out of the blueness and THs ability to get up the noses of opposition fans & management were awesome!

GMs season in 2005/06 was efficient but ever so slightly duller.

JRs season must trump them both as I've never seen a season where the fans & players were so much in harmony! :wub:

Were you around the Tom Hendrie season? The games against Ayr, Raith and Falkirk were different class only to be repeated at the Motherwell away game..never got that feeling in any of the games last season...

Were you around the Tom Hendrie season? The games against Ayr, Raith and Falkirk were different class only to be repeated at the Motherwell away game..never got that feeling in any of the games last season...

In my opinion for emotions the best games under JR were Ayr away 0-2 the Raith and Ayr at home in his first season.

Last season would have been the United home game around Christmas.

Edited to add the Tom Hendrie season was brilliant from start to finish.

11 minutes ago, gstretchuk said:

I feel for you.........................

PS - I already described THs season as awesome - what more do you want?

15 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Had a read of the Sunderland forum. A lot of fans not happy with Jack Ross there forum is a mirror of this forum. 

I was reading that as well. Their forum is nothing like this one: it's full of impatient nutjobs and attention-seekers. What? Oh...

This topic ran to 12 pages or so, but in fairness was mostly people telling the OP he was a twat.

image.png.cf63c7481ade95a9bb1b3de794a38ea4.png