Sunderland Speak To Jack Ross

One of the biggest budgets in the division. A team the fans believed should be top four, and just 8 games into the season. Aye FTOF he knew the odds. It was the next three months of spectacular failure that put him really under pressure and which took the club breaking its wage structure to bail him out. 
I remember a certain Sir Alex being 45 mins away from the sack at Man Utd. He inherited a dressing room that was a riot. Took him a few years to sort out. Give Jack some credit.

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I don't think many of us would have a problem with Jack going on to a bigger club and being offered 5 times his salary at St Mirren if he took the job.  Even after all the talk about planning to challenge at the right end of the top division and not just aim to avoid relegation and wanting to leave a legacy at St Mirren. 

Why then do I feel angry at Jack Ross today? He has waxed lyrical about his great relationship with our chairman Gordon Scott for as long as he has been St Mirren manager, and how he turned down bigger jobs because he valued the relationship he had with the chairman, board, fans and players. There isn't much sign of him valuing and respecting Gordon Scott or the club going by the way Jack Ross has gone about his business with Sunderland. If Jim Goodwin is telling people last Saturday that he expected Jack to be appointed Sunderland boss (rather than Ipswich boss) why does Goodwin know about Jack having talks with Sunderland two days before it is press speculation and 4 days before the chairman who has a great working relationship with Jack Ross finds out that not only is Jack wanting permission to talk to Sunderland, (he most likely did that a week ago without telling anyone at the club), he and Sunderland have already agreed terms and he is going to be announced the following day as the new manager of Sunderland. Furthermore Gordon Scott has said he still hadn't heard anything from Jack by this stage and only heard via talksport what was happening. I would suggest that when Gordon Scott alludes to "major skulduggery" going on he may well be talking about Jack Ross rather than Sunderland, especially since he thought the story must be nonsense since Jack was "on holiday" and since St Mirren have always been good at granting clubs permission to speak formally to Jack about vacancies.

Hit it on the head for me. Great post.

He's done a great job for us, and while it looks like he's been a bit underhand and disrespectful to the BoD in the way he's gone about it, it was too good an offer to turn down. no matter how much of a basket case Sunderland are. I think the time had come to get it over and done with, as all the interviews and speculation wasn't going to be helpful heading into the new season. 

He's certainly going to have to earn his money though - a young manager from a league that many in England don't rate, being appointed by a new owner at a club where promotion will be demanded this season. He's not familiar with the standard of the league or players he'll need or those he needs to get rid, and if Sunderland are sitting in the mid to lower end of the table after 8-10 games, him and the new owner will be under a lot of pressure. I can't see him being given until the January transfer window if things aren't going well. I know Jack says he likes a challenge and to solve problems, and he's going to have to do it quickly if he's to survive and flourish at Sunderland.     

2 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I don't think many of us would have a problem with Jack going on to a bigger club and being offered 5 times his salary at St Mirren if he took the job.  Even after all the talk about planning to challenge at the right end of the top division and not just aim to avoid relegation and wanting to leave a legacy at St Mirren. 

Why then do I feel angry at Jack Ross today? He has waxed lyrical about his great relationship with our chairman Gordon Scott for as long as he has been St Mirren manager, and how he turned down bigger jobs because he valued the relationship he had with the chairman, board, fans and players. There isn't much sign of him valuing and respecting Gordon Scott or the club going by the way Jack Ross has gone about his business with Sunderland. If Jim Goodwin is telling people last Saturday that he expected Jack to be appointed Sunderland boss (rather than Ipswich boss) why does Goodwin know about Jack having talks with Sunderland two days before it is press speculation and 4 days before the chairman who has a great working relationship with Jack Ross finds out that not only is Jack wanting permission to talk to Sunderland, (he most likely did that a week ago without telling anyone at the club), he and Sunderland have already agreed terms and he is going to be announced the following day as the new manager of Sunderland. Furthermore Gordon Scott has said he still hadn't heard anything from Jack by this stage and only heard via talksport what was happening. I would suggest that when Gordon Scott alludes to "major skulduggery" going on he may well be talking about Jack Ross rather than Sunderland, especially since he thought the story must be nonsense since Jack was "on holiday" and since St Mirren have always been good at granting clubs permission to speak formally to Jack about vacancies.

Quite right!

Fukkim!

13 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Quite right!

Fukkim!

I have no ill feeling towards Jack. When he played for us he gave everything. As a manager he turned us around completely and done more than could have been expected.

The Sunderland thing may have not been done correctly but on the plus side it should have benefitted us with a better compo deal to avoid taking them to court. The guy has done us a service both on and off the pitch, always giving his all and doing his best. I won't let a dodgy deal to Sunderland ruin that appreciation of his efforts.

4 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I have no ill feeling towards Jack. When he played for us he gave everything. As a manager he turned us around completely and done more than could have been expected.

The Sunderland thing may have not been done correctly but on the plus side it should have benefitted us with a better compo deal to avoid taking them to court. The guy has done us a service both on and off the pitch, always giving his all and doing his best. I won't let a dodgy deal to Sunderland ruin that appreciation of his efforts.

That's it, Jack was doing us a favour when doing a deal with the PROSPECTIVE owners of Sunderland so that they have to pay up big to avoid a court or tribunal.  yes, i see that now.

Except, Sunderland DID approach saints after the club had been thoroughly undermined by JR, giving the board Hobson's choice.  Thereby potentially limiting any compo on offer.  When the deal was floated and negotiated the NOW owners of Sunderland were only bidders and not bound by any rules on who they could or could not talk to and therefor NOT liable for any compo other than what the saints board were corralled into taking.

Sorry, but shit stinks, you can swallow your share if you want.  Mind you don't get a spasm whilst holding your nose.

Absolutely nailed on mate. Brilliant post.

4 hours ago, EssexTractor said:

We’re going to end up with Chris Coleman aren’t we :o

Hopefully not and you never know; Hurst may well join you and turn out to be a superstar. I mean his resume is very similar to that of Jack Ross.  Hope all goes well for you and your team, I wasn't too impressed with your owner going by what I had gathered in the media, however after watching the podcast he did, I thought fair play; he is talking a sensible game so .................here's hoping

Also particularly annoying given the fanfare Jack made when Lewis Morgan signed for Celtic about how he worked with Lewis to make sure he got the right move to the right club for Lewis but how they also worked to get a good deal for St Mirren in terms of finance (the fee was decent considering he was out of contract in the summer) and on getting Lewis back on loan to finish the season. I am sure that many of us hoped that when the day came and Jack moved to a bigger club he might be open to doing the right thing by St Mirren. Instead it appears he had his contract changed to make it as cheap and easy to leave and hasn't been in touch with the club at any point to ask permission to talk with Sunderland, or once talks have taken place to update the club on his thoughts on the talks, and instead the first the club hear about it is via the media after he has agreed his new contract with Sunderland and when he is going to be announced as their new manager the following day. Major skuldugerry indeed and all the goodwill which would normally accompany a successful St Mirren manager moving on to better things has evaporated on my part at least.

Where are you getting this from that JR has had his contract "changed" so he could leave on the cheap ??? Also the onus is 100% on Sunderland to ask permission to speak to JR. I doubt very much if JR approached Sunderland to instigate this whole matter.  If the compensation figures being quoted today are accurate he is not leaving on the cheap. The guy was reported to be on 70k a year there is very little scope for a big release clause on a wage like that. Some amount of bluster on these boards. He has left and we are getting the compensation due (possibly more). Not really sure what else JR himself could have done in this whole episode.

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Where are you getting this from that JR has had his contract "changed" so he could leave on the cheap ??? Also the onus is 100% on Sunderland to ask permission to speak to JR. I doubt very much if JR approached Sunderland to instigate this whole matter.  If the compensation figures being quoted today are accurate he is not leaving on the cheap. The guy was reported to be on 70k a year there is very little scope for a big release clause on a wage like that. Some amount of bluster on these boards. He has left and we are getting the compensation due (possibly more). Not really sure what else JR himself could have done in this whole episode.

People have said that after he didn't take the Dundee job and was given a new deal at that point he insisted on a new clause going in his contract that once clubs over £20k he could begin talking with them.

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

People have said that after he didn't take the Dundee job and was given a new deal at that point he insisted on a new clause going in his contract that once clubs over £20k he could begin talking with them.

Wasn't the 20K figure banded about as what Dundee would have needed to pay i.e. on his then current deal.  None of us know what the terms of any of his contract were / are so no point making it up.

43 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

That's it, Jack was doing us a favour when doing a deal with the PROSPECTIVE owners of Sunderland so that they have to pay up big to avoid a court or tribunal.  yes, i see that now.

Except, Sunderland DID approach saints after the club had been thoroughly undermined by JR, giving the board Hobson's choice.  Thereby potentially limiting any compo on offer.  When the deal was floated and negotiated the NOW owners of Sunderland were only bidders and not bound by any rules on who they could or could not talk to and therefor NOT liable for any compo other than what the saints board were corralled into taking.

Sorry, but shit stinks, you can swallow your share if you want.  Mind you don't get a spasm whilst holding your nose.

Why don't we wait and see all the facts regarding compensation before judging the "board not being in charge" etc situation. See if our board make comment on it. 

Sunderland approached Jack. It's them who are in the wrong as they would have instigated this. Jack may have applied, but that in itself isn't breaching contract. Sunderland approached him and then approached Saints. You're ill feelings should be directed at them. Jack has served us well as a player and his tenure as manager has been fantastic. Why let one situation ruin all positive feelings to him? 

6 minutes ago, YorkshireMackem said:

I think you boys will be getting £100k+ compo, I think there was definitely some tapping up.. sigh!

Fair play sir; and I think he will do an excellent job for you, I for one will be looking for Sunderlands results in the future

Some fans are getting all high and mighty on going against Jack but lets look at our own clubs record on " success"

Alex Rae- Steadies ship - sacked

Danny Lennon- Gets us highest League finish since 80s, wins LC - sacked

Gus McPherson - Wins League, Wins Diddy Cup, Gets to LC Final- sacked

Tom Hendrie- Wins League, gets little support, gets relegated - sacked

Alex Ferguson- Say no more......

Jack in my 42 years of supporting Saints is the first manager to leave us to go on to bigger . He certainly is the first manager to be voted to the Manager of the Year.

We took on young Ian Murray- who was a hot property at the time, and he failed and hasn't worked since, Danny has floated from Job to Job, Gus is at Queens Park, and Tom went back to School..................

So my point- Jack is the first manager we have ever who has been promoted by leaving of his own choice

3 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Fair play sir; and I think he will do an excellent job for you, I for one will be looking for Sunderlands results in the future

Likewise so will I, and although I wish Sunderland well I hope Plymouth Argyle pump them and beat them to the title :P

2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Some fans are getting all high and mighty on going against Jack but lets look at our own clubs record on " success"

Jack in my 42 years of supporting Saints is the first manager to leave us to go on to bigger . He certainly is the first manager to be voted to the Manager of the Year.

We took on young Ian Murray- who was a hot property at the time, and he failed and hasn't worked since, Danny has floated from Job to Job, Gus is at Queens Park, and Tom went back to School..................

So my point- Jack is the first manager we have ever who has been promoted by leaving of his own choice

Danny Lennon was NOT "sacked!"

6 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Forgot manager how took us to the highest position in the SPL and got sacked.