Sunderland Speak To Jack Ross

Wouldn’t it be something if Jack Ross came in and whisked away any St Mirren player(s) with a derisory 50k and a pat on the head. Post-Bosman, there’s fcuk-all we could do to stop it. I wonder what would happen to the goodwill towardsJack then. My position remains unchanged. Nothing personal, but it’s Sunderland, so fcuk em’. I have been away for a few weeks so haven’t followed the whole story, but is it the case that Sunderland’s new owners did a deal with Jack and Jack agreed to join them BEFORE Sunderland’s new owners had even asked St Mirren for permission to speak to our manager in regard to their vacancy?

If I have picked this up correctly, then fcuk the lot of them, thanks for the last eighteen months Jack, but don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out. If this is NOT the case, and Sunderland / Jack, went about their business properly, then I hold no grudge against Jack, but still, fcuk off you third tier Mackem shite.

Maybe someone can enlighten me if Sunderland and Jack did or did not go about things in the correct manner.

In regard to a new St Mirren manager, has Austin McPhee at Hearts been mentioned as a candidate, or Jim Goodwin? Again, I’ve been out the country for a few weeks so have missed a fair chunk of this unfolding story. I cannot bring myself to wade through the hunners and hunners of posts I’ve missed. B)

Edited by pozbaird

From the Sunderland Echo ........

Announcement tomorrow?

Hopes had been high Jack Ross would be announced as the new Sunderland boss, but as the afternoon fades into night, it looks like we might have to wait until tomorrow for the Scottish former Hartlepool defender to be unveiled.

Or will we?

If anything happens, you will hear about here first.

If it's the morning, we will have a blog up bright and early. Stay tuned either way..

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Wouldn’t it be something if Jack Ross came in and whisked away any St Mirren player(s) with a derisory 50k and a pat on the head. Post-Bosman, there’s fcuk-all we could do to stop it. I wonder what would happen to the goodwill towardsJack then. My position remains unchanged. Nothing personal, but it’s Sunderland, so fcuk em’. I have been away for a few weeks so haven’t followed the whole story, but is it the case that Sunderland’s new owners did a deal with Jack and Jack agreed to join them BEFORE Sunderland’s new owners had even asked St Mirren for permission to speak to our manager in regard to their vacancy?

If I have picked this up correctly, then fcuk the lot of them, thanks for the last eighteen months Jack, but don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out. If this is NOT the case, and Sunderland / Jack, went about their business properly, then I hold no grudge against Jack, but still, fcuk off you third tier Mackem shite.

Maybe someone can enlighten me if Sunderlandand Jack did or did not go about things in the correct manner.

In regard to a new St Mirren manager, has Austin McPhee at Hearts been mentioned as a candidate, or Jim Goodwin? Again, I’ve been out the country for a few weeks so have missed a fair chunk of this unfolding story. I cannot bring myself to wade through the hunners and hunners of posts I’ve missed. B)

Proper procedure was not followed. No mention of Austin McPhee. Jim Goodwin has been mentioned.  Betting thread on new manager has updates.  Welcome back. 

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

Proper procedure was not followed. No mention of Austin McPhee. Jim Goodwin has been mentioned.  Betting thread on new manager has updates.  Welcome back. 

Thanks for the info. So Jack agreed to become their new manager and both Sunderland’s new owners and Jack Ross had fixed it up between them before Tony or Gordon had even been contacted? Even as a courtesy?

Wow. Nice one Jack.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Thanks for the info. So Jack agreed to become their new manager and both Sunderland’s new owners and Jack Ross had fixed it up between them before Tony or Gordon had even been contacted? Even as a courtesy?

Wow. Nice one Jack.

Correct.  Likely increase in compensation to avoid tapping scandal. I'll bow out and let others in. 

Edited by St.Ricky

Maybe someone can enlighten me if Sunderland and Jack did or did not go about things in the correct manner.

In future Poz, perhaps you should purchase yourself one of those new fangled phones which connect to something called ‘the internet’. This apparently allows you to keep in touch with the goings on back home. I know it sounds all sci- fi, but by all accounts it works.
Oh, and once the holiday drugs are out your system come back on and say who you would like to see as our new manager, as you’ve wrote Jim Goodwin !! Could you imagine that?? Jeeeesus!

10 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

In future Poz, perhaps you should purchase yourself one of those new fangled phones which connect to something called ‘the internet’. This apparently allows you to keep in touch with the goings on back home. I know it sounds all sci- fi, but by all accounts it works.
Oh, and once the holiday drugs are out your system come back on and say who you would like to see as our new manager, as you’ve wrote Jim Goodwin !! Could you imagine that?? Jeeeesus!

New fangled internet phone things don’t work when you are cruising across the Atlantic on the new Carnival Horizon from Barcelona to New York. On days when we visited European ports after leaving Barcelona and before the Atlantic crossing, if I was frantically trying to find WiFi to find out about Saint Murrnn... I might have been thrown overboard by my better half somewhere near the Azores.

For me? Jim Goodwin. Why not? The other names I have heard mentioned don’t fill me with anything other than ‘meh’.

6 hours ago, pod said:

Where is it reported Stephen McGinn is getting 5x his salary.  :wacko:

Sorry should have made that clearer

If McGinn was offered a similar salary increase to the 5x salary increase which has reportedly offered to Ross that may induce him to leave, irrespective of how well he is playing here.

Awryty, got it https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=112

See before the internety things were invented we simply used the old fashioned telephone, but they probably didn’t have them things on the dark side of the moon. Jim Goodwin? I don’t like him. Perhaps with another year in management. If we were still in the championship, then I would give him the gig, but the stakes are way higher. Who ever it is though, I will give them my total backing. Eh, welcome back btw, some folk had you in some sort of self imposed sin bin!

To be honest I would have thought that they'd have had that conversation with him around 2nd Ipswich interview. It made sense to get his input then when process was going slow.

Still think there is some validity in doing it as he'll know coaches who could continue what he started

To be honest I would have thought that they'd have had that conversation with him around 2nd Ipswich interview. It made sense to get his input then when process was going slow.

Still think there is some validity in doing it as he'll know coaches who could continue what he started

Perhaps Bud, but according to Tony Fitz, Saints always had a plan in place if Jack left. It seems the plan is to ask Jack!

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

f**k knows. The chronology according to the press - if you can ever believe them - was that Jack Ross was being appointed, then he was being interviewed, then Sunderland were looking for permission to interview Jack Ross.

Stewart Donald, the new Sunderland owner, and his mate Charlie Methven have done a flurry of interviews on social media, and with Talk Sport, Radio 5 and loads of other outlets. The ones I saw - the first on Tuesday - was Stewart Donald saying he hadn't spoken to anyone but he had been aware of who all the applicants for the vacancy had been and - when talking about Chris Coleman - he said there were two, possibly three applicants who were ahead of Coleman for the job now. In another interview the next day he doesn't name anyone but he says that they had spoken to someone who was excited by the prospect of the Sunderland job and who really wanted to be Sunderland manager. Two hours after that interview it was all over the internet Jack Ross had been appointed. 

If you take everything at face value I'd say it looks like Ross applied for the vacancy, Donald contacted him after taking over the club, decided he wanted Ross and since then they've been trying to sort everything out. 

f**k knows. The chronology according to the press - if you can ever believe them - was that Jack Ross was being appointed, then he was being interviewed, then Sunderland were looking for permission to interview Jack Ross.
Stewart Donald, the new Sunderland owner, and his mate Charlie Methven have done a flurry of interviews on social media, and with Talk Sport, Radio 5 and loads of other outlets. The ones I saw - the first on Tuesday - was Stewart Donald saying he hadn't spoken to anyone but he had been aware of who all the applicants for the vacancy had been and - when talking about Chris Coleman - he said there were two, possibly three applicants who were ahead of Coleman for the job now. In another interview the next day he doesn't name anyone but he says that they had spoken to someone who was excited by the prospect of the Sunderland job and who really wanted to be Sunderland manager. Two hours after that interview it was all over the internet Jack Ross had been appointed. 
If you take everything at face value I'd say it looks like Ross applied for the vacancy, Donald contacted him after taking over the club, decided he wanted Ross and since then they've been trying to sort everything out. 

Bloody shambles.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

So many toys have been thrown out the pram over this point its ridiculous. 

Jack has given us the best 18 months we've had since 99/00. Its been a remarkable turn around from where we were and he will always be a legend for that reason.

Is he leaving in the most courteous ideal manner possible? Probably not but who really gives a f**k?

Surely we must be mature enough to avoid getting upset over the semantics of it all and see the bigger picture. I'm gutted that he's leaving but I'm certainly not losing any sleep over who did or didn't phone who.

Edited by LargsBud

The easiest thing to do in this situation is feel sorry for ourselves after last season's brilliant title win but i prefer to look on the positive side...we're back in the top tier and if we make the right choice for our next manager then we can still progress. Jack is history and i'll be forever grateful for what he did for our club but.... we move on.

So many toys have been thrown out the pram over this point its ridiculous. 
Jack has given us the best 18 months we've had since 99/00. Its been a remarkable turn around from where we were and he will always be a legend for that reason.
Is he leaving in the most courteous ideal manner possible? Probably not but who really gives a f**k?
Surely we must be mature enough to avoid getting upset over the semantics of it all and see the bigger picture. I'm gutted that he's leaving but I'm certainly not losing any sleep over who did or didn't phone who.

Who really gives a f**k? Well not Jack anyway!

21 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

What a load of shite 

1 hour ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Perhaps Bud, but according to Tony Fitz, Saints always had a plan in place if Jack left. It seems the plan is to ask Jack!

Ask Jack? That is a joke. Move the f*ck on. If we can keep James great. If not, let's make our own moves. Why ask an ex employee ? Embarrassing if true.

59 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Bloody shambles.

Edited by magnus

Who really gives a f**k? Well not Jack anyway!

Dry your eyes FFS!

Have you ever applied for a job whilst currently in one? If so, I bet you didn’t look to take one on with less money, benefits and prospects?

He was always leaving this summer. His achievements over the last 18 months virtually guaranteed that and no sensible person should have any qualms about him looking to leverage his stock when its riding high.

Take solace in the fact that we don’t have to face him next year ‘cause he went to a Dundee or Hibs etc.

Good luck Jack. Thanks for everything.

9 minutes ago, DLBud said:

Dry your eyes FFS!

Have you ever applied for a job whilst currently in one? If so, I bet you didn’t look to take one on with less money, benefits and prospects?

He was always leaving this summer. His achievements over the last 18 months virtually guaranteed that and no sensible person should have any qualms about him looking to leverage his stock when its riding high.

Take solace in the fact that we don’t have to face him next year ‘cause he went to a Dundee or Hibs etc.

Good luck Jack. Thanks for everything.

WHO'S CRYING MATE?  It's all about decorum and respect.  Anyone of us are perfectly entitled to go out and better ourselves. With the amount of money thrown at him, yes, he would be mad not to go. It's the bloody way he did it. Jacks legacy is there for all to see. He had the ability to be a really great manager with us. St.Mirren treated Jack Ross well, Jack Ross went behind Saints back to do his dealings. Thanks for the memories, Jack, but it's time for us to move on, you sneaky wee prick!

7 hours ago, ds10 said:

Sorry should have made that clearer

If McGinn was offered a similar salary increase to the 5x salary increase which has reportedly offered to Ross that may induce him to leave, irrespective of how well he is playing here.

15 hours ago, pod said:

I really hope he stays.

14 hours ago, pod said:

Stephen has stated he enjoyed and played some of this best football with us.  Why spoil it by going to Sunderland. :P

No problem.  Last quote underline was a bit tongue in cheek, wasn't meant to be taken seriously.  

6 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

The easiest thing to do in this situation is feel sorry for ourselves after last season's brilliant title win but i prefer to look on the positive side...we're back in the top tier and if we make the right choice for our next manager then we can still progress. Jack is history and i'll be forever grateful for what he did for our club but.... we move on.

I made your if bigger. :rolleyes: