Jump to content

Sunderland Speak To Jack Ross


Recommended Posts

Departure of Jack & James will be confirmed shortly.

Closely followed by the confirmation of the signing of Paul McGinn.

Gutted we've lost them but no time to feel sorry for ourselves.

We're recruiting from a position of strength for once and hopefully the board will get us another good man to lead us into the Premiership.

Onwards!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, div said:

Departure of Jack & James will be confirmed shortly.

Closely followed by the confirmation of the signing of Paul McGinn.

Gutted we've lost them but no time to feel sorry for ourselves.

We're recruiting from a position of strength for once and hopefully the board will get us another good man to lead us into the Premiership.

Onwards!

Spot on Div. No time for self pity.  The club is in a good place.  Onwards and upwards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, div said:

Departure of Jack & James will be confirmed shortly.

Closely followed by the confirmation of the signing of Paul McGinn.

Gutted we've lost them but no time to feel sorry for ourselves.

We're recruiting from a position of strength for once and hopefully the board will get us another good man to lead us into the Premiership.

Onwards!

Was there not a second player mentioned Div ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

WHO'S CRYING MATE?  It's all about decorum and respect.  Anyone of us are perfectly entitled to go out and better ourselves. With the amount of money thrown at him, yes, he would be mad not to go. It's the bloody way he did it. Jacks legacy is there for all to see. He had the ability to be a really great manager with us. St.Mirren treated Jack Ross well, Jack Ross went behind Saints back to do his dealings. Thanks for the memories, Jack, but it's time for us to move on, you sneaky wee prick!

Can't complain about Ross moving on.  He stayed to make sure we won the Championship which was as much as we could hope for.

Regarding the manner of his leaving, I'm sure this has a lot more to do with Sunderland than it does with Ross.  Especially as the initial contact was probably through an agent.

Sunderland would have known they were up to major skullduggery

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Was there not a second player mentioned Div ? 

Yeah but I've not heard anything about that mate.

McGinn signed a PCA a while ago, hence why he is signing regardless.

It could be that whoever else was supposed to be coming in has decided to wait and see who we appoint, or vice versa the club has decided to wait and see what the new manager wants to do.

Strange situation but I really don't think the board will mess about, I reckon by this time next week we should have our new man in place.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ds10 said:

Can't complain about Ross moving on.  He stayed to make sure we won the Championship which was as much as we could hope for.

Regarding the manner of his leaving, I'm sure this has a lot more to do with Sunderland than it does with Ross.  Especially as the initial contact was probably through an agent.

Sunderland would have known they were up to major skullduggery

YIP, and so did Jack,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, div said:

Yeah but I've not heard anything about that mate.

McGinn signed a PCA a while ago, hence why he is signing regardless.

It could be that whoever else was supposed to be coming in has decided to wait and see who we appoint, or vice versa the club has decided to wait and see what the new manager wants to do.

Strange situation but I really don't think the board will mess about, I reckon by this time next week we should have our new man in place.

 

I am with you on that.  Under  golfing Gilmour we would prevaricate.  But oor Mr Scott is a different animal altogether, that' s why I like him, a man that makes a decision is always better than one who prevaricates.  A decisive man always wins in the long run, if a decision maker makes a bad decision he will quickly decide to fix it thus arriving at a solution decisively.

 

Yes Mr Scott is a decisive animal whether it be buying a daft looking car or sacking Alex Rae swiftly he has proven himself capable of making a decision.  

Decisive is best, best indeed.

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I would expect Jack Ross to try & sign Stevie Mallan, (Possibly Craig Halkett) & the 7-9 players he wanted for St Mirren some will probably end up at Sunderland too.

Why? 

Look I'm not saying he won't obviously. But if he was to it would simply confirm my assertion he's got no clue about the job he's just got. 

Take Mallen for example - in midfield Sunderland have Lee Cattermole and Jack Rodwell on their books. He may want them off his books since between them they are earning close to £100k per week and Rodwell in particular is a workshy wanker - and Paddy McNair may well move on too. But also in that midfield are highly rated youngsters like Ethan Robson, George Honeyman, Joel Asoro, Lynden Gooch, and Elliot Embleton. And then if you look at players who haven't had as much first team experience there's Rees Greenwood and Luke Molyneaux. 

Mallen is far more likely to get first team football at Barnsley than he would Sunderland. He's certainly more likely to get regular Under 23 football at Barnsley than he would Sunderland. 

And the same is most likely true of the other targets you think he'd want at Sunderland. Ross is going to have around £10m to spend, but for some reason you think he'll still be scraping around the Scottish Football bargain bucket, when he needs instant results to get a luke warm Sunderland support right behind him. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, StuD said:

And the same is most likely true of the other targets you think he'd want at Sunderland. Ross is going to have around £10m to spend, but for some reason you think he'll still be scraping around the Scottish Football bargain bucket, when he needs instant results to get a luke warm Sunderland support right behind him. 

 

Not often I agree with you but this is bang on. The "7-9 players" that Jack may have been looking at might be good enough for Saints, but if they were good enough to earn the wages Sunderland can offer we wouldn't be linked with them in the first place. This is also the reason I don't see Jack going in for Stephen McGinn, Gavin Reilly or Harry Davis as others have suggested. At most I could see Kyle Magennis and possibly Cammy Smith going there. Wouldn't rule out any youths who look good right now (Erhahon for instance). Sunderland are not your normal League One club after all, they are the big fish in the little pond.

Edited by Cornwall_Saint
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, StuD said:

Why? 

Look I'm not saying he won't obviously. But if he was to it would simply confirm my assertion he's got no clue about the job he's just got. 

Take Mallen for example - in midfield Sunderland have Lee Cattermole and Jack Rodwell on their books. He may want them off his books since between them they are earning close to £100k per week and Rodwell in particular is a workshy wanker - and Paddy McNair may well move on too. But also in that midfield are highly rated youngsters like Ethan Robson, George Honeyman, Joel Asoro, Lynden Gooch, and Elliot Embleton. And then if you look at players who haven't had as much first team experience there's Rees Greenwood and Luke Molyneaux. 

Mallen is far more likely to get first team football at Barnsley than he would Sunderland. He's certainly more likely to get regular Under 23 football at Barnsley than he would Sunderland. 

And the same is most likely true of the other targets you think he'd want at Sunderland. Ross is going to have around £10m to spend, but for some reason you think he'll still be scraping around the Scottish Football bargain bucket, when he needs instant results to get a luke warm Sunderland support right behind him. 

 

For once I don't think you are far wrong. Magennis is the only one of our players who I think would have the potential to play in League 1 and to also then make the step up to the Championship.

Even then I don't see Jack coming in for him. He'll want to blend some of the Sunderland youngsters with some experienced players who have what it takes to get them out of that division at the first time of asking. They should piss that league and their fans will expect that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why? 

Look I'm not saying he won't obviously. But if he was to it would simply confirm my assertion he's got no clue about the job he's just got. 

Take Mallen for example - in midfield Sunderland have Lee Cattermole and Jack Rodwell on their books. He may want them off his books since between them they are earning close to £100k per week and Rodwell in particular is a workshy wanker - and Paddy McNair may well move on too. But also in that midfield are highly rated youngsters like Ethan Robson, George Honeyman, Joel Asoro, Lynden Gooch, and Elliot Embleton. And then if you look at players who haven't had as much first team experience there's Rees Greenwood and Luke Molyneaux. 

Mallen is far more likely to get first team football at Barnsley than he would Sunderland. He's certainly more likely to get regular Under 23 football at Barnsley than he would Sunderland. 

And the same is most likely true of the other targets you think he'd want at Sunderland. Ross is going to have around £10m to spend, but for some reason you think he'll still be scraping around the Scottish Football bargain bucket, when he needs instant results to get a luke warm Sunderland support right behind him. 

 

On my reply to Soctty on this i was more thinking along the lines of he (might) go down the road of players he is already familiar as that is easier for him, as you said he needs to hit the ground running the Sunderland fans will want signings straight away and you alluded in previous posts Jack doesn't seem to have many contacts to fall back on in England.

 

He might not go for the same players he was targeting at Saints but would be very surprised if he doesn't go for players from Scotland in the beginning before finding his feet in the English transfer market.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Not often I agree with you but this is bang on. The "7-9 players" that Jack may have been looking at might be good enough for Saints, but if they were good enough to earn the wages Sunderland can offer we wouldn't be linked with them in the first place. This is also the reason I don't see Jack going in for Stephen McGinn, Gavin Reilly or Harry Davis as others have suggested. At most I could see Kyle Magennis and possibly Cammy Smith going there. Wouldn't rule out any youths who look good right now (Erhahon for instance). Sunderland are not your normal League One club after all, they are the big fish in the little pond.

Agree with you on Magennis. Another sale and loan back perhaps. 

Edited by St.Ricky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cornwall_Saint said:

Not often I agree with you but this is bang on. The "7-9 players" that Jack may have been looking at might be good enough for Saints, but if they were good enough to earn the wages Sunderland can offer we wouldn't be linked with them in the first place. This is also the reason I don't see Jack going in for Stephen McGinn, Gavin Reilly or Harry Davis as others have suggested. At most I could see Kyle Magennis and possibly Cammy Smith going there. Wouldn't rule out any youths who look good right now (Erhahon for instance).

I can't see it. Look Sunderland are short of fire power so I guess the most likely target out of all those names would be Gavin Reilly. I rate Reilly highly and I'm sure he'd put up a good fight with Josh Maja and Duncan Whatmore for the striker berth. But I don't think Ross rates him. Ross claimed Reilly was nursing an injury yet he kept bringing him off the bench to replace Danny Mullen who's goalscoring record at St Mirren was much poorer. It looks more to me like Ross and Reilly had a fall out - perhaps over Reilly's refusal to extend his contract. 

And similarly to what I said about Mallan, I think with the budget Ross has he's going to be looking for an experienced striker that is likely to bag goals regularly at League One level. 

I also rate Cammy Smith really highly but I don't think he'd get anywhere near the first team with the squad of players they have already for his position. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...