New Manager Latest Odds

9 minutes ago, zico said:

Jim Goodwin for me.

A young, upcoming manager who got Alloa promoted. Plus has a Saints connection.

Not Robbie Neilson.

Think you could end up disappointed. 

Robbie Neilson at only 38 (18 months older than Goodwin) is also young and up and coming. 

Robbie Neilson got Hearts promoted.

Looks like the main difference between the two is that Neilson has done what Goodwin has done younger and at a higher level but Goodwin hasn't had the chance to be bagged in England yet. 

Flop at MK Dons is something I've read a lot. He wasn't as big a flop as Derek McInnes was at Bristol City or Stevie Clarke at Reading and both of them seem to be doing OK. 

Edited by djchapsticks

24 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Think you could end up disappointed. 

Robbie Neilson at only 38 (18 months older than Goodwin) is also young and up and coming. 

Robbie Neilson got Hearts promoted.

Looks like the main difference between the two is that Neilson has done what Goodwin has done younger and at a higher level but Goodwin hasn't had the chance to be bagged in England yet. 

Flop at MK Dons is something I've read a lot. He wasn't as big a flop as Derek McInnes was at Bristol City or Stevie Clarke at Reading and both of them seem to be doing OK. 

Are you ITK?

As Hearts are Scotland's 3rd biggest club, you would hope that he would get them promoted! Especially as he had Craig Levein holding has hand, signing the players and picking the team!

Once he no longer had Levein to hold his hand, he flopped.

The fact that he wasn't as big a flop as McInnes or Clarke, in your opinion, or that Goodwin might hypothetically get bagged in England one day, in your opinion, aren't selling points for me!

If we took your logic, we'd never have appointed Jack Ross in the first place! :lol:

2 minutes ago, zico said:

Are you ITK?

As Hearts are Scotland's 3rd biggest club, you would hope that he would get them promoted! Especially as he had Craig Levein holding has hand, signing the players and picking the team!

The fact that he wasn't as big a flop as McInnes or Clarke, in your opinion, or that Goodwin might hypothetically get bagged in England one day, in your opinion, aren't selling points for me!

If we took your logic, we'd never have appointed Jack Ross in the first place! :lol:

That Cathro guy completely flopped even with Levein holding his hand, signing the players and picking the team, so maybe Neilson was doing something right, though I have to admit I'm not sure about him either. I've heard him described as a "puppet" on many an occasion, and we won't have anyone to operate him!

The Alloa fans on P&B don't seem particularly convinced Goodwin is ready for the step up either mind you. It'll be interesting anyway. I doubt we will be getting anyone of the calibre of Ross, that's for sure.

5 minutes ago, zico said:

Are you ITK?

I'm not ITK but when guys like JJ (who is ITK) is confident it's happening, that is quite a strong indicator. 

I'm not against Goodwin being manager, I just genuinely believe that one perceived failure doesn't automatically make you a poor manager. 

Normally getting relegated would be a bad thing but getting MK Dons relegated is a good thing in my book. If Neilson comes in (as seems likely) then we should be looking to get an experienced head in as assistant beside him. I think Billy Stark is available...

I see John Kennedy is second or third favourite on McBookie which is a bit of a random name for someone to have taken a punt on.

It's a shame it looks like appointing the replacement is going to be relatively straightforward. I was looking forward to the guy who is definitely not Jamie Fullarton's pal coming on and telling us how wonderful he is again.

I see the newspaper's (well one that I saw over another persons shoulder) has Jim McIntyre as the front runner with Robbie Neilson "interested".

Jim McIntyre fills me with  a deadpan "meh".  Robbie Neilson fills me with a slightly more upbeat "meh".

I am hoping for that left field candidate, an overlooked superstar that's wants to come home.  Come on overlooked, left field superstar where are you (in the words of Delia Smith) where are you, lets be having you?

PS:  I see no-one has really mentioned Jimmy Fowler.  Will he be Jacking off as well or could he be the overlooked superstar?  Could he really, could he really indeed!

Edited by TediousTom
adding in

9 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

I see the newspaper's (well one that I saw over another persons shoulder) has Jim McIntyre as the front runner with Robbie Neilson "interested".

Jim McIntyre fills me with  a deadpan "meh".  Robbie Neilson fills me with a slightly more upbeat "meh".

I am hoping for that left field candidate, an overlooked superstar that's wants to come home.  Come on overlooked, left field superstar where are you (in the words of Delia Smith) where are you, lets be having you?

PS:  I see no-one has really mentioned Jimmy Fowler.  Will he be Jacking off as well or could he be the overlooked superstar?  Could he really, could he really indeed!

TT.  I have been raising the James Fowler question.  Will he stay or will he go.  Depends on two things.  1 Does JR want him as his assistant ( I questioned that)  and if does Fowler want to go are wrapped up in the first one.  2 Does James Fowler wish to be a manager (if asked)?  Neither theory gained much support on here.  

In all this excitement it seems that James Fowler may have been slightly forgotten. He has said in the past that he doesn't want to manage again, and is happy being an assistant. Don't know whether that has changed, but I hope that he either goes with JR or finds a place in the new management team at St. Mirren. He was a big part of last season's success and it would be wrong if he ends up out of a job, although I'm sure he'd find something else quite quickly. 

As for the manager, we will need someone with a good knowledge of the Premiership and perhaps experience of a dogfight as we will be fighting hard to stay in the league. It will be very different from last season and, with all the recent departures and no doubt new signings to come, we will have a very different team as well. All that makes me think of Jim McIntyre. Robbie Neilson might also be worth a try, but, while I like Jim Goodwin, I don't think he has enough experience yet for what we will face next season.

10 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Billy Davies for me. 

Davies has already confirmed that we're beneath him.

Also, if he is half as good as he thinks he is, why aren't a host of clubs competing for his signature?

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

I'd be very surprised if it's not Robbie Neilson.

So will I.

I'm fine with that. I hope Fowler stays, but Jack will be taking him down the road presumably.

This is all a bit pish, really.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

So will I.

I'm fine with that. I hope Fowler stays, but Jack will be taking him down the road presumably.

This is all a bit pish, really.

I'm not so sure on Fowler going with Jack. He'd be well advised to get an assistant who has a bit more experience down south. 

The important thing to realise is that we were quite likely to be battling at the wrong end of the division even with Jack Ross in charge. Yeah, optimists were giving it the 'assault on the top six' chat, but that was going to be a tough ask. 

So it's crucial to understand that if we are battling relegation next season, it's not necessarily the new guy's fault. It's going to be a very tough job for whoever takes over, tbh, because expectations are going to be all askew.

25 minutes ago, pod said:

Fowler will be off.

Aye, most likely.

Bigger clubs dahn saaf have the resources to maintain coaching teams, and Jack will see a place for his No 2 down there, no question.

Worryingly, he might also see a place for a few of our better players (thinking Magennis and Smith as the obvious candidates).

12 minutes ago, Drew said:

Aye, most likely.

Bigger clubs dahn saaf have the resources to maintain coaching teams, and Jack will see a place for his No 2 down there, no question.

Worryingly, he might also see a place for a few of our better players (thinking Magennis and Smith as the obvious candidates).

Will cost him dear.