New Manager Latest Odds

7 hours ago, scottd said:

If it was me then Goodwin.  Hopkin would likely want his convicted drug dealer assistant not to mention Alan ‘Flash’ Lithgow and Declan ‘Di Maggio ‘ Gallagher..............no thanks.

I take it their nicknames are not because they like cleaning floors or eating pizza? 

taken from a post on Pie & Bovril

The Sun reporting we have been allowed to talk to Hopkin and Goodwin, as well as Fitzy talking to Lambert. Neilson coming in today. Robert Grieve is usually on the ball with saints related matters.

Also reporting Jack going to come back for Kyle, and bid for John McGinn. Kerching for us.

TF states that we will take at least a week to get all the CV's in and then we will start to go through them. There has been no short list drawn up.

Apparently this is the procedure that was followed before the  last appointment.

Gregg Ryder, former assistant boss at IBV (Íþróttabandalag Vestmannaeyja)  in Iceland,  who has just left Throttur Rekyjavik, where he was the manager for four years, is keen to talk to us apparently. Former coach at Newcastle. 30 years old.

https://is.linkedin.com/in/gregg-ryder-92a0a653

Certainly a more interesting option with some potential, compared to the tired list of candidates that is kicking around just now.

15 minutes ago, FTOF said:

TF states that we will take at least a week to get all the CV's in and then we will start to go through them. There has been no short list drawn up.

Apparently this is the procedure that was followed before the  last appointment.

Gregg Ryder, former assistant boss at IBV (Íþróttabandalag Vestmannaeyja)  in Iceland,  who has just left Throttur Rekyjavik, where he was the manager for four years, is keen to talk to us apparently. Former coach at Newcastle. 30 years old.

Certainly a more interesting option with some potential, compared to the tired list of candidates that is kicking around just now.

See I know nothing about this guy, but I really wouldn't be aversed to us going down this type of route. Something a bit fresh and different. Instead of the same old merry go round.

I suppose we're fortunate that this time round we appear to have some solid names in the frame as well as a couple of interesting left field options.

20 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Imagine if we get a guy off LinkedIn :lol:

The seethe!

I find it incredulous that unless TF and GS have both been in a coma for the past six months, they did not see JR's imminent departure coming and did not therefore have a plan in place to identify their man without going through the laborious process of formal recruitment red tape which could take up to 2 or 3 weeks to conclude at least.

In the meantime potential signings are possibly slipping through our hands and the mood of uncertainty and despondency is deepening at a time when we should have been building on the momentum of last season.

Are we going to make the same mistake as Ipswich Town FC by fiddling while Rome burns?

25 minutes ago, Second Decay said:

If this retch ends up anywhere near the St mirren  payroll I'll not be back. Feckn outrageous that the guy is allowed anywhere near the football coaching profession.

33 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

See I know nothing about this guy, but I really wouldn't be aversed to us going down this type of route. Something a bit fresh and different. Instead of the same old merry go round.

I suppose we're fortunate that this time round we appear to have some solid names in the frame as well as a couple of interesting left field options.

It's vital we survive our first season in the premiership  in that  respect we need someone who knows the Scottish game and players for recruitment. To me it would be too much of a gamble at this time. 

I find it incredulous that unless TF and GS have both been in a coma for the past six months, they did not see JR's imminent departure coming and did not therefore have a plan in place to identify their man without going through the laborious process of formal recruitment red tape which could take up to 2 or 3 weeks to conclude at least.
In the meantime potential signings are possibly slipping through our hands and the mood of uncertainty and despondency is deepening at a time when we should have been building on the momentum of last season.
Are we going to make the same mistake as Ipswich Town FC by fiddling while Rome burns?

6 months ago Neilson was at MK Dons plus Goodwin and Hopkin hadn’t achieved a huge amount. Things change and as there’s no apparent standout candidate an interview process looks like it makes sense to me.

16 hours ago, scrappy coco said:

It's highly likely that Neilson is still on the payroll of MK dons, it seem's to be the way a lot of clubs operate now to save 

them coming up with lump sums too pay off contracts, if so I'd imagine he'd need to take a fair drop in wages if he was 

offered the job, 

He could strike a get me out of here deal.  MKD would be happy to meet him midway.

But how would it be likely he is still on their payroll?  Possible?  Yes, but likely?

49 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Are you suggesting we should have started interviewing managers months ago when we were in a title race and still had a management team in place? :blink:

39 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

If this retch ends up anywhere near the St mirren  payroll I'll not be back. Feckn outrageous that the guy is allowed anywhere near the football coaching profession.

Well if there is no  such thing as rehabilitation or forgiveness, should we apply the same standard to forum members?  it woud be a quiet(er) wee place if everyone who took a drug or got some for another person were held the same account.

I once worked with a water inspector in Stirling who had access to people's homes.  He freely admitted that before he straightened himself out (with the help of the Jehovah's Witnesses) he had done time in the UK for drug dealing and a stabbing as well as in Sweden for trafficking drugs and expensive watches.  he was a model of good behaviour and enjoyed a very stable and secure family life.

7 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Well if there is no  such thing as rehabilitation or forgiveness, should we apply the same standard to forum members?  it woud be a quiet(er) wee place if everyone who took a drug or got some for another person were held the same account.

I once worked with a water inspector in Stirling who had access to people's homes.  He freely admitted that before he straightened himself out (with the help of the Jehovah's Witnesses) he had done time in the UK for drug dealing and a stabbing as well as in Sweden for trafficking drugs and expensive watches.  he was a model of good behaviour and enjoyed a very stable and secure family life.

Changed my mind on all this rehabilitation stuff.

Once a criminal always a criminal. It has nothing to do with your background circumstances: you appear to be born that way.

I would never employ or work with anyone with any sort of criminal history.

Some humans are just utter scum and they should be discarded as such by society.

We spend way too much time in this country handwringing about the criminal at the expense of victims.

Edited by oaksoft

18 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Are you suggesting we should have started interviewing managers months ago when we were in a title race and still had a management team in place? :blink:

If that's what you're suggesting, that does not make sense. It would appear from press reports that we are starting the recruitment process from scratch. My reference to the past 6 months reflects the very strong possibility that JR intended to move on before next season. He seemed to have itchy feet!

However, the writing has been on the wall for the past 2 or 3 weeks and we are at a crucial stage of the year where potential players and managers are in a state of limbo in that contracts are terminating or being reviewed.  At least 3 of the prospective candidates are currently free agents.

Ipswich Town FC procrastinated and lost their man - or there again maybe JR was not their man.

On the other hand, it did not take Sunderland, of the third tier in England, long to appoint JR after their take-over!

Edited by northstbuddie

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Once a criminal always a criminal. It has nothing to do with your background circumstances: you appear to be born that way.

Some humans are just utter scum and they should be discarded as such by society.

We spend way too much time in this country handwringing about the criminal at the expense of victims.

You carry some very strange ideas Oak but hey hoo we are all different .

17 minutes ago, David Mc said:

6 months ago Neilson was at MK Dons plus Goodwin and Hopkin hadn’t achieved a huge amount. Things change and as there’s no apparent standout candidate an interview process looks like it makes sense to me.

This.

I'm not sure how the club could reasonably have been expected to have a firm contingency arrangement in place.

We had been in this position with JR a couple of times previously (Dundee and Barnsley), and he didn't leave the club. Was it more likely that he would this time round? Yes, however this was far from guaranteed, and I don't think the BoD could have done anything much beyond having an informal chat about possible replacements should it come to that.

It would have been a bit inappropriate to have started sounding possible candidates out before there was a vacancy to fill - not least given the potential for the press to latch onto it. It would most likely have served to further unsettle an already uncertain situation.

Finally, its worth bearing in mind that with the potential sale of Magennis (if rumours are to be believed) and McGinn maybe leaving Hibs, we could be in the position of being able to attract a higher calibre of candidate on the back of a budget potentially enhanced by up to £2M.

We need to ensure, as far as possible, that this is the right appointment. Yes, we could miss out on a player or two, but in the grand scheme, that is likely to be a less significant consideration.

1 hour ago, northstbuddie said:

Didn't happen. 1500 years too early for a violin.:P

However, I see your pampers are wringing again.

Despondency? Speak for yourself. Having read TF's comments I'm intrigued and possibly a bit excited to see that we're considering alternative options to the names already mentioned.

I'm sure that our BoD have been looking at managerial options for a while. However, as I've already stated, I'd rather we didn't rush in and appoint the first name that looks good on paper.

We're in a position of strength for a change. Let's use that position wisely, and who knows we could unearth a manager that builds on our current position.

Well said Mr Rees-Mogg. Hang ‘em High!!

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

You carry some very strange ideas Oak but hey hoo we are all different .

He is an attention craving plum. I wouldn't dignify his ramblings with a response.