New Manager Latest Odds

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I saw someone suggesting we should give Scott Gemmell a shout from the Scotland U21's - one of the better names I have seen suggested.

What's he ever done? :blink:

That u21 job the same as any other national teams u21s job is a total non entity of a job. No pressure, no targets, no buying and selling players, nobody demands results, no fans etc.

We need an actual real manager not just a guy who is a coach which are ten a penny.

Hearing names like McCoish and Scott Gemmell scare the shite out of me. Anybody that had watch Scotland under Gemmell would see hoof ball is his game and for fat Sally, surely we can all remember his laughable effort in the lower leagues to get Newco back where they belong [emoji23] Remember this was a guy getting 800K a year and we would be lucky to be paying 100K a year.

I think Ally deserves another chance in management because that rangers situation was just a total clusterf**k with so many problems unrelated to football going on in the background.

I just dont want him to get that chance with us at the moment. We've got too much to lose. Maybe if we were still in the championship he would be worth a punt - but not now.  

The thought of McCoist being our manager terrifies me. He would bring too much baggage with him. His arrogance regarding Rangers’ treatment when they deservedly got punished for cheating was disgraceful. He suggested Rangers were too big a team to adhere to the same rules as the rest of us. I get the fact that he’s a nice bloke and would raise the profile of the club, but some of the attention would be negative. Do we really want to be despised by the majority of other clubs in Scotland? His track record as a manager, considering the budget he had isn’t great. He’d also split our support before he started. Good guy to have a pint with, was a great player, but please don’t make him our manager.

No to McCoist from me too. Too much carry on in his head and not the right mentality or a manager. Wanted to be the players pal and have a carry on in training whilst at Sevco 5088.
I remember him on the radio during the very early stages of Rangers liquidation period. He was saying there was no way he could decide which players were staying and going and he couldnt go in and tell them they were losing their jobs and won't be paid the following week.

While I fully understand there are emotions involved in making people redundant (it's a horrible thing to do even to people you don't like) but it's business. Whether it is an administrator's, your chairman's or your own decision you must at one point be tough enough to make decisions like that.

What I'm learning is that the successful managers are the ones that have the balls to deliver bad news face to face but manage to explain their reason in a compassionate/understandable way.

1 hour ago, Julian Banjos said:

Alongside JR's knowledge of Neilson, it's also worth mentioning that Eckersley, Smith and Reilly played under him. You'd expect that they've been consulted too.

When we signed Reilly, he had to be released from the 3 year contract given to him by Robbie Neilson in 2015. 

Yes, I can see that, my employers frequently consult me about who I think my boss should be. 

2 hours ago, Hambud said:

Think its' highly unlikely to happen but would not bother me if it did. McCoist calling us his local team. 

We have asked Coleraine for permission to speak to Oran Kearney, and have been given permission. Direct quote from their chairman in the papers today.

Michael O'Neill has recommended him and is" impressed by his planning and  attention to detail". Sound like anyone we know?

The guy obviously has some managerial talent. I suppose managing in the top league in Northern Ireland could be considered equivalent to that of managing our first division. Much like our previous manager's level of experience IMO.

Compared to the tired old names kicking about, I'd prefer we take a punt of Kearney.

There. I've nailed my colours to the mast.:)

Eidt- Found an article about him.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/irish-league/irish-cup-final-we-arent-there-to-enjoy-the-day-we-are-there-to-lift-the-trophy-36871452.html

Although Coleraine are riding the crest of a wave at the moment, Oran endured a rocky ride in the north west and over the years he has come under fire from disillusioned fans.

But the board stood by him, confident his work with the younger players would produce results. And they are now being handsomely rewarded, with Coleraine now challenging for major honours and enjoying strong support from the local community while the club's academy, in partnership with the Harry Gregg Foundation, is prospering.

In August last year, he agreed a new three-year contract extension at The Showgrounds and it was a further indication the club was determined to build on a memorable season that delivered an Irish Cup final appearance and European football.

Coleraine striker Jamie McGonigle says: "Oran's a great man manager as well as team manager. He knows who needs a good shouting at and who needs an arm around the shoulder. He's been brilliant with me."

As another poster has pointed out, he hasn't been a full time manager, which is a significant concern.

Edited by FTOF

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We have asked Coleraine for permission to speak to Oran Kearney, and have been given permission. Direct quote from their chairman in the papers today.

Michael O'Neill has recommended him and is" impressed by his planning and  attention to detail". Sound like anyone we know?

The guy obviously has some managerial talent. I suppose managing in the top league in Ireland could be considered equivalent to that of managing our first division. Much like our previous manager's level of experience IMO.

Compared to the tired old names kicking about, I'd prefer we take a punt of Kearney.

He has a decent track record but I hope it gets sorted quickly so the new guy can start on filling out our squad while there's still first picks out there.

Scott Gemmell - a bit leftfield like Ian Cathro or dare I mention his name Stephen Kenny, but not in the same division of badness as Eminem. While U21 lacks some of the intensity of proper fitba Gemmell should have a decent knowledge of the game up here.

Wouldn't be adverse to Gemmell or the new name in the hat Owen Kearney, cos I like a white-knuckle ride!  :wacko:

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The guy obviously has some managerial talent. I suppose managing in the top league in Ireland could be considered equivalent to that of managing our first division. Much like our previous manager's level of experience IMO.

I agree, it’s likely that GLS will go down a similar route to the one used in JR’s appointment. Kearney comes with some good recommendations from within the game. He seems like a similar type of manager to Jack Ross and is a very interesting candidate. 

2 hours ago, class of 76-77 said:

I agree, it’s likely that GLS will go down a similar route to the one used in JR’s appointment. Kearney comes with some good recommendations from within the game. He seems like a similar type of manager to Jack Ross and is a very interesting candidate. 

I just hope the board don't scare any candidate off with ridiculous short term aspirations. We are in the top flight and, no matter who is at the helm, it will take time to reach the position they hope to have us in. They need to be realistic in their timescale.

Edited by stlucifer

Seriously, anyone who is suggesting that fat sally should be manager should be certified

[emoji23]

But he lives just down the road! Which, to some folk, is far more important than managerial ability - or lack of, in McCoist’s case.

I think Kearney will be seen as too high risk.

He's a full-time PE teacher and part-time football manager in Northern Ireland. He's never actually been in football full-time in any capacity.

To go from that to a full-time manager in the top league in Scotland seems like too big a jump for me. If we were still in the Championship then maybe...

4 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

I think Kearney will be seen as too high risk.

He's a full-time PE teacher and part-time football manager in Northern Ireland. He's never actually been in football full-time in any capacity.

To go from that to a full-time manager in the top league in Scotland seems like too big a jump for me. If we were still in the Championship then maybe...

Does he know the difference between arithmetically and mathematically impossible?

3 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

PE teachers don't 'teach', they supervise kids doing physical activities.

What a joke.

Were you a PE teacher Drew, if not, what?

Professional yisless git? 

Just judging by yer posts here, Nae offence bawbag.

Aye, quite:blink:

It was a gag from the Jack Black movie, School of Rock.