New Manager Latest Odds

Why so? 
Because he's been picked already. Do you not read the threads you comment on? It was Mr Dickson who informed us and I am taking him at his word.
Unless of course his jaunt to Asda in Motherwell was a sign he will be taking over at Hamilton?

1 minute ago, st jock said:

Because he's been picked already. Do you not read the threads you comment on? It was Mr Dickson who informed us and I am taking him at his word.
Unless of course his jaunt to Asda in Motherwell was a sign he will be taking over at Hamilton?

Probably the latter.  Also... Doubt if we could afford him. 

8 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

With interviews starting GS will know the type of manager he wants. It has to be someone he likes and someone who tells him how he can move the club forward. Jack said from day one he believed we would go up. He got a team playing for him and he was and is popular. I still think Neilson is the man and the closest to the blueprint we need. Still think Ross will play a part here with adding to budget. GS kept faith and i still believe the right appt will be made. We need to keep faith to. 

I'd agree, generally.  But Ross won't owe us any favours (at least in his eyes)  and he has to think of what the reaction will be if he spends half his (is the 10m his entire budget or his new signings budget?) budget to the benefit of his old club and most of the signings bomb.  It' a long time ago, but remember how Jimmy Nicholl's move to Milwall panned out.  English fans generally have unrealistic expectations and are brutal in their treatment of middling-along managers who they see as failures.

He might well belooking to spend his money elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

No - I did:ph34r:

Could be worse. You could have posted a picture of Alex Smith carrying the Scottish Cup off the Aberdeen team bus, before going on about memories of 1987. What kind of utter fanny would make a mistake like that?

3 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Kearney would be a huge gamble we have just had 20 months of recovery why risk wasting it by January !

Any manager is a huge gamble. Jack Ross himself would have been a gamble, there's nothing to guarantee he would have kept us up. 

1 hour ago, StuD said:

Jack Ross was a full time footballer, who was a full time youth coach at Hearts before he took part time jobs in football at Dumbarton and Alloa. When he finally stepped out of the cover of Stevie Aitken into the Alloa job he got them relegated without a whimper and they were only ever looked like winning a play off place in League Two when he took the opportunity to bolt to Paisley. 

Full time to part time in football often doesn't work well - and part time to full time has the same risks often without the financial benefits. 

Kearney might indeed be a wonderful manager, but if he is you've got to wonder why he hasn't managed to do better than third in the NIFL Premier League. 

Kearney took over from David Platt at Coleraine, where they'd finished 5th in the league. 

In his first season Kearney finished 7th

In his second season Kearney finished 6th

In his third season Kearney finished 9th

In his fourth season Kearney finished 5th

In his fifth season 3rd

And last season he finished 2nd. 

Jack Ross at Alloa comment - when relegated they were by far the smallest team in the league. When "only ever looking like getting a playoff place" they were flying high and Livi were heavy favourites for the title anyway. Once again you are choosing facts to suit your agenda, ignoring his excellent League Cup run where Alloa were beating full time sides on their way to the QF.

Last time I checked, 2nd was better than 3rd. As to why he hadn't done better than 3rd (even though he did), Coleraine are not at the size of Linfield, Crusaders and Cliftonville. They were miles clear of two of those sides in the season just gone, a highly impressive feat. This is like hammering McInnes for not being able to challenge Celtic.

Edited by Cornwall_Saint

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Any manager is a huge gamble. Jack Ross himself would have been a gamble, there's nothing to guarantee he would have kept us up. 

Jack Ross at Alloa comment - when relegated they were by far the smallest team in the league. When "only ever looking like getting a playoff place" they were flying high and Livi were heavy favourites for the title anyway. Once again you are choosing facts to suit your agenda, ignoring his excellent League Cup run where Alloa were beating full time sides on their way to the QF.

Last time I checked, 2nd was better than 3rd. As to why he hadn't done better than 3rd (even though he did), Coleraine are not at the size of Linfield, Crusaders and Cliftonville. They were miles clear of two of those sides in the season just gone, a highly impressive feat. This is like hammering McInnes for not being able to challenge Celtic.

"Highly Impressive"? You mean in the same way that Livingston managed to finish above Morton this season? That's the kind of differences here we're talking about isn't it? And that's before you take into account the repeated financial support that James Nesbitt and a number of others make to Coleraine every year to help the club out. 

I don't know enough about Kearney to know whether or not he's a great manager, but for three seasons he put his club in a worse state than it had been in before he took it over. In the fourth season he finally got it back to where it had been and in the next two years in a semi pro league he's finally managed to show some progress. Yet some claim he'd be an "exciting" choice. :huh:

The new manager won’t be any of the ones mentioned, I could be wrong though [emoji6]
Alot of Rumours doing the rounds on Facebook and Twitter that a (Big Name Manager was close to a deal with us).

One comment was it "would upstage Gerrard for Ibrox" another comment was it would be a "major coup".

Anyone willing to name who it is???

Just now, Ronnie said:

Alot of Rumours doing the rounds on Facebook and Twitter that a (Big Name Manager was close to a deal with us).

One comment was it "would upstage Gerrard for Ibrox" another comment was it would be a "major coup".

Guti 

No lol I was asked to keep it quiet, if it happens it’ll be a total surprise. [emoji6]

Same guy that said ‘Blokhen, Deminienko and Belanov’ were signing ?

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Would love that to be true nothing beats a rollercoaster like a St Mirren rollercoaster.

The publicity would be priceless even if it goes t*ts up.

The chairman's in Spain supposedly on business. It's happening!

3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

When Fergie left it was not a disaster Drew in fact we went on one of the best periods in the club' history. 

because of the players who Fergie had signed to the first team and reserves and scouting network he had put in place. Have you had a look at the squad Jack has bequeathed to us for next season? We have 6 or 7 players who are easily the right quality for the top division and another 4 or 5 that are gambles at that level and a few that didn't cut it in the Championship.

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

because of the players who Fergie had signed to the first team and reserves and scouting network he had put in place. Have you had a look at the squad Jack has bequeathed to us for next season? We have 6 or 7 players who are easily the right quality for the top division and another 4 or 5 that are gambles at that level and a few that didn't cut it in the Championship.

Absolutely this. I said much the same when he was being touted for the Sunderland job that's too big for him. Ross isn't Fergie, he's not even close. 

4 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Your right, he built a good foundation from a crumbling wreck. 

Edited by pod

20 minutes ago, munoz said:

The chairman's in Spain supposedly on business. It's happening!

Guti has arrived back in Madrid after his flying visit to check out the tapas in Asda Linwood. Fortunately, his ten hour visit to the Paisley area has in no way affected him, or the way he now lives his life...

8673B594-68A7-416B-9E80-16B826634973.jpeg

Where I differ from StuD is I felt reasonably confident that had Jack Ross stayed with us for this is season he would have been fairly successful in recruiting enough decent players to join the squad to get us in with a shout of finishing 8th - 10th. His move to Sunderland has probably scuppered a few of those signings while everyone waits to see who his successor will be. I also think Jack has a fair chance of doing fine at Sunderland. However, as things stands Jack had cleared the decks for a major squad overhaul in the summer but left before much of the rebuilding of the squad was finalised.

41 minutes ago, StuD said:

"Highly Impressive"? You mean in the same way that Livingston managed to finish above Morton this season? That's the kind of differences here we're talking about isn't it? And that's before you take into account the repeated financial support that James Nesbitt and a number of others make to Coleraine every year to help the club out. 

I don't know enough about Kearney to know whether or not he's a great manager, but for three seasons he put his club in a worse state than it had been in before he took it over. In the fourth season he finally got it back to where it had been and in the next two years in a semi pro league he's finally managed to show some progress. Yet some claim he'd be an "exciting" choice. :huh:

If Kearney left tomorrow Coleraine would be in a much better position than when he joined them.

Danny Lennon's first season with us was pretty awful, and we were saved by a very poor Accies side. He went on to become the first Saints manager to lead us to the League Cup and achieved our best finish in our 9 year spell in the SPL and our best finish for a number of years. You don't always have to achieve the perfect start if the future product is successful.