New Manager Latest Odds

It's 100% true. 
He had a phone conversation with Fitzpatrick last week where Fitzpatrick told him that if he was appointed he would be expected - with the current squad of players - to achieve 4th place. 6th at worst. Neilston believes this to be unrealistic and after considering it over the weekend he decided to withdraw from the race. 
People on here want to know why it's not being seen as a plum job. There is your reason right there. Unrealistic expectations. 

I can confirm TF did not set expectations at 4th-6th

1 hour ago, nedflanders123 said:

No, but you need to provide some evidence to substantiate your claim.  

No I don't. I'm posting a fact. You can choose whether you believe it or not. I've got no need to sell the story to anyone. I'm not trying to impress. 

I didn't find anything untoward in any of Neilson's comments about budget and expectations. They seemed pretty fair from a prospective candidate's point of view.

"

St Mirren: Robbie Neilson says managerial vacancy 'appealing prospect'

Robbie Neilson believes the St Mirren manager's position vacated by Jack Ross is a highly alluring role.

Former Hearts and MK Dons boss Neilson is currently without a club and among the favourites to take over in Paisley.

"It's an appealing job for a lot of people and I'm sure a lot of guys will be desperate to take it," Neilson said.

"St Mirren seem to have a really strong board and understand where they want to get to. It's an appealing one for everyone."

'What are their expectations?'

Former defender Neilson, 37, was promoted from Under-20s boss to head coach at Tynecastle after the club's relegation in 2014.

Under his stewardship, Hearts romped to the Championship title by 21 points in a second tier that also featured city rivals Hibernian and Rangers.

Hearts ended their first season back in top flight third, and sat second when Neilson moved to MK Dons in December 2016.

The League One outfit finished 12th in Neilson's first season at the helm, but he left by mutual consent in January this year following a run of one win from 11 games.

Now linked with a return to management at newly-promoted St Mirren, Neilson says understanding the expectations and resources at the club will be vital for Ross's successor.

"There's a lot of positives in St Mirren at the moment, the training ground's great, they've got good momentum," Neilson told BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound. "But there are also a lot of things that have to be looked at.

"What are the expectations of the fans? What are the expectations of the board? What is the budget? Do they match each other? Does it give someone coming in the opportunity to really drive the place forward, or are you going to be scrapping at the bottom of the league again?

"If it's a club that are really going places, then they have to make sure they finance it and to get someone who is coming in to give them that opportunity to build a squad. They've lost quite a few players over the last 18-20 months. Lewis Morgan's away, [Stevie] Mallan and [Kyle] McAllister before. Three young players you would probably have looked to build your team roundabout when you get into the Premiership.

"You don't have that now so you then go into a market where you're recruiting as a Premiership team, so you have to pay Premiership wages. You're not getting them at the Championship on two and three-year-deals and you can take them up on lower money. It's now going to cost a bit of money."

'There's such a negative vibe'

Neilson believes clubs often place unrealistic demands upon managers, without arming them with the corresponding financial clout.

"I went down to MK Dons and the expectation levels were top-two, and the budget was probably mid-table," he said. "The two don't match.

"We found it difficult to get consistency in results but if you don't match the expectation level, you're out the door.

11 minutes ago, StuD said:

No I don't. I'm posting a fact. You can choose whether you believe it or not. I've got no need to sell the story to anyone. I'm not trying to impress. 

Bullshit. Any fact is only one where evidence is presented.  Without any evidence your are either spouting an allegation, hearsay or a falsehood. 

Edited by nedflanders123

Guest TPAFKATS
Dickson has been making an utter twat of himself on here since the old Saints Online Guestbook. I make that about 20 years of incredible cuntery.
You've almost got to admire his persistence. [emoji38]
Are you putting yourself forward to chair his testimonial committee?

Guest TPAFKATS
Oran Kearney is Billy Clabby's second cousin
Of course, as they are both Irish. I think they are also both related to trump... or was it Clinton... or Obama?

9 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

If Neilson doesn't want it, fair enough. I still trust GS and TF to get the man who is right for us.

I'm delighted that Neilson is now out of the equation.

I also trust GLS and TF to know the right calibre of manager to appoint.

And I don't believe that a cock blister like Neilson was ever on their radar.

17 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Bullshit. Any fact is only one where evidence is presented.  Without any evidence your are either spouting an allegation, hearsay or a falsehood. 

Fact, St Mirren are a bigger club than Dundalk. I don't have evidence that St Mirren are a bigger club than the triple Irish Champions and regular Champions Cup and Euro Cup competitors but it's not hearsay, an allegation or a falsehood. 

Fact, Robbie Neilson turned down the prospect of managing St Mirren because of unrealistic expectations at the club. It's not hearsay, it's not an allegation and it's certainly not a falsehood. 

I'm a Coleraine FC fan, I'm surprised Oran has been approached and not Stephen Baxter of Crusaders who has had loads of success compared to Orans one trophy. 

Seems strange that there's interest as it's unusual for our league to have clubs outside Northern Ireland want their managers. 

Would he get to bring his own staff, again doubt they'd move over unless was worth quitting full time jobs for. What kind of salary would Oran expect. 

Edited by Bannsider

10 minutes ago, Bannsider said:

I'm a Coleraine FC fan, I'm surprised Oran has been approached and not Stephen Baxter of Crusaders who has had loads of success compared to Orans one trophy. 

Seems strange that there's interest as it's unusual for our league to have clubs outside Northern Ireland want their managers. 

Would he get to bring his own staff, again doubt they'd move over unless was worth quitting full time jobs for. What kind of salary would Oran expect. 

Jack Ross was on a very healthy salary latterly. He was the highest paid manager in our history, figures in the media when he was destined for Sunderland, stated he was on 70k a year, that was way off the mark. With the improved deal he got it was close to or slightly more than 100K I’m told.

4 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Just so you all know, I had a dinner party tonight which was attended by the top 8 managers in world football and they were all interested in the Saints job, but only if I got them an invite to one of Dorothy's dinner parties. I advised them that he only invites horses to his dinner parties so, unfortunately, they have all pulled out of the running. That story is 100% fact, which will become apparent when none of them attend a dinner party at Dorothy's house.

I thought that Dorothy clicked the heels of her red shoes together and went back to Kansas. 

5 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

Jack Ross was on a very healthy salary latterly. He was the highest paid manager in our history, figures in the media when he was destined for Sunderland, stated he was on 70k a year, that was way off the mark. With the improved deal he got it was close to or slightly more than 100K I’m told.

Pretty sure Gus was on £120k in his final year. Part of the reason he was punted in the end...

44 minutes ago, StuD said:

Fact, St Mirren are a bigger club than Dundalk. I don't have evidence that St Mirren are a bigger club than the triple Irish Champions and regular Champions Cup and Euro Cup competitors but it's not hearsay, an allegation or a falsehood. 

Fact, Robbie Neilson turned down the prospect of managing St Mirren because of unrealistic expectations at the club. It's not hearsay, it's not an allegation and it's certainly not a falsehood. 

FFS talk about  deflection. I know what a fact is and citing that our club is bigger than Dundalk has no bearing on you claiming you were told by someone of the reason RN has withdrawn from the interview process.  Any fact is based on actual evidence. You continually spout about being in the know and yet have absolutely nothing of substance than your own words to back up what you say.  If I make a statement of fact I will back it up with proof or provide evidence.

I believe the reason he opted out is that you and John Kennedy told him that the latter was to become the new manager as claimed by you of course.

Edited by nedflanders123

10 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

FFS talk about  deflection. I know what a fact is and citing that our club is bigger than Dundalk has no bearing on you claiming you were told by someone of the reason RN has withdrawn from the interview process.  Any fact is based on actual evidence. You continually spout about being in the know and yet have absolutely nothing of substance than your own words to back up what you say.  If I make a statement of fact I will back it up with proof or provide evidence.

I believe the reason he opted out is that you and John Kennedy told him that the latter was to become the new manager as claimed by you of course.

Go on then, prove that I'm lying since that seems to be your "statement of fact"