New Manager Latest Odds

16 minutes ago, marrez said:

He did great for hibs, but sacked after 2 months at Rotherham is a concern.  

He couldn't even get Hibs promoted from the Championship. I understand the Sevvies were there too but Hearts were miles clear (under Neilson as well) of Hibs when they won the league. Cup success is all nice and well but the league results with Hibs concern me.

2 hours ago, munoz said:

Got to be Gutierrez. Would be utterly mental if GS & TF could pull it off.  

You really have to wonder why he would put himself forward for a middle of the road Scottish club than going for a bigger and more lucrative post down south or nearer home?  I think, if he is given the job he will not be here long. 

It's gotta be Guti!

Glamour, box office, big ticket name.

It might all turn to shite, but it would be a hoot. The potential to tap into new and exotic markets for players would also be intriguing.

Still kind of hard to believe that it is remotely likely, though.

Based on no rational analysis whatsoever, he is now my preferred option for the job.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Based on no rational analysis whatsoever, he is now my preferred option for the job.

This sums it up for me as well :lol:

That and dreaming to myself he'll bring half of the Real B side to us. Probably helped that I was keen on Neilson and rumours are going around he may have pulled out (although I'll only trust what the OS says on anything related to this). Kearney interests me while Darren Ferguson is someone who I think would do well (his knowledge of Eng L1/L2 could be invaluable) but he's no way near as exciting as being linked to an ex Real Madrid player :lol:

Gutiérrez Black and White Army!

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

It's gotta be Guti!

It might all turn to shite, but it would be a hoot. The potential to tap into new and exotic markets for players would also be intriguing.

It's gotta beeeeeeeee perfect

It's gotta beeeeeeee

Guti

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

It's gotta be Guti!

It's going to be an interesting week Drew one good thing  there does not seem to be the same level of leaks coming out compaird to the past. 

5 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

His attention to detail = Jack Ross similar 

Players love his man managment  = Jack Ross similar

Likes his teams to play attacking football = Jack Ross similar.

Oran is a young manager

He finished second top of the league not bad for a part time team.

He won the irish cup again not bad for a part time team.

For me this is a man ready to make the step up well worth a punt. 

For me this isn't about appointing a Jack Ross doppelganger, this is about dealing with the here and now in the SPFL. somewhere JR never did anything, so there is no comparison that is relevant now. The risk is trying to get a carbon copy, pointless, no chance that's happening. Disappointingly, JR decided to go elsewhere and not test himself in the unique environment of the SPFL, who could really blame him. He's gone to a better place for his ambition and his financial well being.

We seem too hung up on getting a JR clone. There are none, he had a uniqueness and freshness, he has gone.  Imo we now need a brand new face, new regime, new tricks and style,  who that is and how that will pan out is anyone's guess. Frankly anyone appointed is a risk, its undeniable. Get it right, JR will be a very distant memory.

I'd like us to be gallus and different, a bit of swagger and 'up and at em' instead of turgid survival blooter baw.  All I personally can hope for is the next appointed management team will be expansive in footballing  style and exciting and energetic.  After years of mogadon laden,  drudge fest sleep inducing tortured crimes against football, I recently fell back into enjoying the St Mirren product  once more,  hopefully that can continue on and off the park. The chances of that continuing are completely up in the air for now.

Go adventurous, not the old  tired McMafia again.

I'd love to allow myself to get carried away with the Guti story, but surely apart from anything else, we simply couldn't afford him?

You've got to imagine that as an assistant coach of some description at Madrid, he'd have been on about 10x what JR was on. Also must've been used to earning millions as a player.

On the other hand if we assume that the story is genuine (which of course is a big assumption), then surely in applying for the post he'd have to have some vague idea of the salary?

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

Was only a couple of seasons ago fans wanted Oran out, we had a run of nine defeats,  we also signed badly and failed when it game to bigger games, especially cup games.

Last season was the first good season we had, again we never turned up in Irish Cup final, this season was ours and Orans best, we won the Irish Cup and came 2nd in the league, that's why I'm surprised at the approach, maybe if next season Oran done the same again,  but with only one cup in all his time at us it seems strange St Mirren are interested, with little budget I imagine at St Mirren, Oran will be looking to stay up just if got the job, we struggled to when had less of a budget, also who would Oran turn to for advice on current players to sign in Scotland, Kenny?   I don't know how he would get on, massive step, different life etc, going from taking training two nights a week to day in working with a squad.

Also took our current team a few years to become a decent side, Oran even said when appointed he needs lots of time to build a team, our current squad have been playing together a few years now, bonded well, great team spirit also, this is why Oran has them playing well, also we had a good season but we were by no means brilliant either, would he get 2 ,or 3 years to build a team, can St Mirren allow that.

Edited by Bannsider

14 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I'd love to allow myself to get carried away with the Guti story, but surely apart from anything else, we simply couldn't afford him?

You've got to imagine that as an assistant coach of some description at Madrid, he'd have been on about 10x what JR was on. Also must've been used to earning millions as a player.

On the other hand if we assume that the story is genuine (which of course is a big assumption), then surely in applying for the post he'd have to have some vague idea of the salary?

Possibly as he's looking to get on management ladder, he'll not be looking for much. As you said, he's made millions as a player.

Imagine any of us applying for a job in a town on the outskirts of Madrid, willng to uproot and move to a place we don’t know, and then to have 5,000 people following your every move. If Guti is being interviewed, then his motivation to succeed, to become a good manager, and yes, to move to the EPL or La Liga cannot be questioned. I sometmes wonder if Gerrard knows what he’s let himself in for, but the fact remains, like Guti, he doesn’t need the money, and having had stellar playing careers, the time is right for them to maybe become the next Mourinho, the next Rafa Benitez, the next Guardiola. IF, and it’s a big if, they see Sevco and St Mirren as a pathway to bigger clubs, what’s wrong with that? Virgil Van Dyke, Ki, Forster and Wanyama never signed for Sellik with a view to retiring in Bothwell or Bearsden.

Guti of course, would firstly have to impress at the interview stage, and like any candidate, do enough to convince Fitzy and GLS that he was the man for the job.

If he were Sam Allardyce or a johnny foreigner who had been around the block, then I would see alarm bells.

Anyway, what will be will be, until Dickson lets us know how Guti’s interview went, then I’m as in the dark as anyone.

We should accept we're a yoyo team and crawl over broken glass to get Hopkin - YESTERDAY!
David-Hopkin.jpgWhere's the beef?

Hopkin won’t ‘manage’ again.

As I predicted, John Hartson is now fav to be appointed as the front for Livi’s managerial set up.

Benni McCarthy would do it for me. Champions league winner, managerial experience and having lived in Scotland for a few years before taking the cape town job he should have at least a bit of knowledge about the game here. 

Or Guti...

I'm not fussy