New Manager Latest Odds

23 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

93% of predictions are rubbish and the second one is barely a prediction - bookies favourite in a volatile market. :wacko:

The longer this drags on the more I feel we’d have been better going for an old lag. First season back in the top flight, close season - next season is gonna be a dogfight. Get Hopkin & Pablo Escobar -  YESTERDAY!

Hartson wasn't bookies favourite when I made my prediction. He was middle of the pack. He's odds on fav now.

Being front man for their set up is perfect for him.

8 minutes ago, Swiss_Saint said:

It is when it would get you arrested for abusing shop staff, big guy throwing something at a wall, very mature. :thumbsdown

Fergie could have been arrested for abusing his players. He wasn't, and neither was I.

2 hours ago, zico said:

he similarities between Jack and Oran are devastating. Good detective work IOBS.

Prior to becoming St Mirren manager Jack Ross spent most of his playing career in the Scottish SPL and Championship. Upon retiring he soon became assistant manager at part-time Dumbarton. He left that post to become head of youth development at Hearts, one of the top 5 clubs in Scotland. He left that to become manager at Alloa, another part time club who were in the Championship at the time. As a relatively young manager many of Jack's best signings at Alloa (Jim Goodwin as captain) and St Mirren (Stephen McGinn as captain) have been players he has played alongside or against in his playing days or young prospects he has worked with at previous clubs.

Oran, hasn't played full time, hasn't played in Scotland and in the time when Jack Ross was finishing off his playing career at St Mirren and Hamilton and then spending a season or two in management at Dumbarton, Hearts, Alloa and St Mirren, Oran has been manager at 1 club, Coleraine, and only come to some recognition due to 1 cup win in 7 years.

remind me again  ..when last we won the cup :)

29 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

93% of predictions are rubbish and the second one is barely a prediction - bookies favourite in a volatile market. :wacko:

The longer this drags on the more I feel we’d have been better going for an old lag. First season back in the top flight, close season - next season is gonna be a dogfight. Get Hopkin & Pablo Escobar -  YESTERDAY!

Pablo Escobar :lol:

9 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I've watched a bit of South African football during my travels there.  I would equate the level with top half of our Championship and bottom half of our Premiership. 

South Africans are obsessed with English Football. 

Yeah my cousin, who used to live in Sun City, used to send me videos and DVD's of some of the bigger matches out there, and I'd send him through recordings of the major cup finals over here. That's roughly where I would have placed it too. You get the odd decent talent emerging before moving on - usually to Europe. It may have improved since 2010, but the one thing that always used to strike me was just how bad the playing surface often was for these big matches though.  

Kearney isn't the guy who is going to take us to the next level or, i suspect, be able to achieve last seasons level. It may be that this appointment is strategic for a season or so for us to take the next step up  / progress on the journey; maybe the days of having a coach / manager for more than two seasons are now gone. #gogetgutti.

17 minutes ago, jaybee said:

You've quoted someone else's post and attributed it to me? :wacko:

And @BaldyOzBud has rushed to like it. HSBC is an example of a foreign bank! :lol: 

Edited by zico

4 minutes ago, StuD said:

Yeah my cousin, who used to live in Sun City, used to send me videos and DVD's of some of the bigger matches out there, and I'd send him through recordings of the major cup finals over here. That's roughly where I would have placed it too. You get the odd decent talent emerging before moving on - usually to Europe. It may have improved since 2010, but the one thing that always used to strike me was just how bad the playing surface often was for these big matches though.  

5 minutes ago, StuD said:

It is very variable over there. Some bare patches. Around the coasts , the pitches are generally OK.  Up in Rustensurg where Sun City is can be much more variable as can Bloemfontein where Bloemfontein Celtic play. Football is still a black sport and the money in it reflects that. Compared to cricket and rugby which are well financed sports with a mainly white following. I once saw a helicopter being brought in to help dry out the main area of the Cricket Stadium in Joburg which holds around 45000. The cricket stadium in Duran holds 85000 I believe. The Natal Sharks Rugby stadium there holds around 45000 and the latest football stadium around 55000. Each with good surfaces.

1 minute ago, BaldyOzBud said:

Aww petal, did you not know that HSBC has its headquarters in London?, now away and  throw stones at a train wee man :P

Yeh, I knew.

It was you who gave HSBC as an example of a bank with foreign headquarters operating in the UK! :wacko: :lol:

Oh no, "wee man", should have remembered that you were one of the internet hardmen :lol:

Edited by zico

5 minutes ago, zico said:

And @BaldyOzBud has rushed to like it. HSBC is an example of a foreign bank! :lol: 

Hbos

2 minutes ago, BaldyOzBud said:

Aww petal, did you not know that HSBC has its headquarters in London?, now away and  throw stones at a train wee man :P

HBOS? before you edited it? :lol:

2 minutes ago, zico said:

Yeh, I knew.

It was you who gave HSBC as an example of a bank with foreign headquarters operating in the UK! :wacko: :lol:

Oh no, "wee man", should have remembered that you were one of the internet hardmen :lol:

Yes indeed it was, and it was you that repeated that it was a foreign bank, can't have it both ways snowflake  :P

11 minutes ago, zico said:
25 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Edited 6 minutes ago by zico

Apologies Zico; I noticed the quote earlier and went back looking for it to comment on it and didn't notice that you also were simply commenting on it :wub:

Fly on the Wall

GLS

"What do you think you can bring to the Job at St Mirren? "

Guti

"I think my first task would be to arrange a friendly with my present club to be held at Hampden with all proceeds going to St Mirren. "

"This game to be an annual event for the next 5 years. "

GLS

(glances round the table)

"When can you start Mr Guti?"

1 minute ago, helpmaboab said:

69 pages of rubbish and still no manager. How many pages can we reach before the manager is announced.

Maybe we don't need a manager, just a wee computer programmer. Feed in the data, computer watches the game, and makes logarithmic decisions. Yi can't beat the computer at working oot the best strategies. Nae crappy predictable after game interviews either.

• I'm guessing 75 pages mate, and that the aftermath of the appointment will engender at least another 75 pages of opinions, but hey, this is a saints forum and that's what we do :wub:

2 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

He couldn't even get Hibs promoted from the Championship. I understand the Sevvies were there too but Hearts were miles clear (under Neilson as well) of Hibs when they won the league. Cup success is all nice and well but the league results with Hibs concern me.

He only finished with a point less than what Hibs won the league with the following season, he had a very good win rate, better even than Jack's with us while he was manager there.

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Does he ?  Youve watched a lot of South African football i take it ?  :rolleyes:

Worked down there for over a year and two holidays since the last one being January of this year. While I'm no expert on S.A. football I have watched a good few games.