New Manager Latest Odds

59 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Makes you wonder why it's taken so long. :wacko:

Because it's not guaranteed that the new manager will meet all the criteria. Someone could blow them away at the interview, or be able to bring in an assistant with the requisite knowledge of domestic football. They were also wise to survey the applications they received. I'm still not certain of who it will be - it could even be a name not widely tipped. We're all just working off speculation - the club have neither confirmed nor denied any names bandied about.

11 minutes ago, ds10 said:

This doesn't sound all that promising (maybe sensible though)

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1417584-st-mirren-to-rebuff-famous-candidates-for-homegrown-coach/

Ach well, it continues the 'back to earth with a bang' theme since the end of the season.

At least I've got my holiday in a fortnight to look forward to!

2 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Because it's not guaranteed that the new manager will meet all the criteria. Someone could blow them away at the interview, or be able to bring in an assistant with the requisite knowledge of domestic football. They were also wise to survey the applications they received. I'm still not certain of who it will be - it could even be a name not widely tipped. We're all just working off speculation - the club have neither confirmed nor denied any names bandied about.

JR was ruthless in getting rid of players he didn't deem capable of cutting it in the top flight. He was then approached first by Ipswich and then Sunderland creating uncertainty at what is IMO the most important stage of the season (sic). I think anticipating the situation (a bit of skullduggery even :rolleyes: ) and having a replacement lined up to takeover as soon as JRs move to Sunderland became inevitable would've been a better option than the current situation.

2 hours ago, StuD said:

Maybe so but there's many on here falling hook, line and sinker for it. Oaksoft even detailed how Gutti could win the Scottish Premiership last night with a team full of Spanish loanees. 

St Mirren fans should, by now, be well aware of the kind of bollocks Tony Fitzpatrick comes away with. The publicity will have done St Mirren no harm I suppose, but fans are going to be on a right downer - and the new manager off to a right bad start - when the far more dull reality is revealed. 

What, Kenny no coming.

7 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Very disappointed in GS interview. Seems lacking in ambition to me tbh. I'm sure these guys know some good foreign youngsters they could bring in on the cheap. It's not like they only know superstars out with our budget 

Delighted by GS interview. Solid and sensible just like his chairmanship has been since he came back to the club.

Plenty of ambition in SMFC board, no stupidity though

Edited by lenziebud

2 hours ago, Buddie-Boy said:

Thanks for posting the video.    If it has to be someone with a knowledge of the Scottish and English player markets - that would suggest Oran Kearney is out as well then?

That's a shame, think of all the leprechaun we could have signed.

10 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Very disappointed in GS interview. Seems lacking in ambition to me tbh. I'm sure these guys know some good foreign youngsters they could bring in on the cheap. It's not like they only know superstars out with our budget 

Ye, but they get home sick after a couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

yep you did, but you also said "What a f**king country :lol:" ?.  

So just pointing out that the same happens in football across all of European countries !.

Nice deflection though :o

But the actual question I asked was about other sports. Are you being intentionally stupid today?

28 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Can fully understand where Scott is coming from this is a huge season for us it's vital we stay up and get established first and foremst. Scott is right the logistics of moving a family from one country to a unfamiliar country is risky. Throw  In a manager who knows absolutely nothing about Scottish football then that picture becomes faded. We need someone who knows what players can be signed to have a full squad ready for pre-sason training. Im at a loss who it will be or better put I don't care as long as it is done and dusted by Friday. Lastly from watching Scott's interview I'm certain Scott has picked his man already. Bring it on. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

8 minutes ago, StuD said:

As I correctly predicted. I'm good at this prediction game ain't I? 

What's Fridays lottery numbers and if your keeping them to yourself, then why don't you ........... I'll leave the rest for you to predict. :wink:  

1 hour ago, ds10 said:

This doesn't sound all that promising (maybe sensible though)

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1417584-st-mirren-to-rebuff-famous-candidates-for-homegrown-coach/

Seems to rule Kearney out also, Caldwell has never manged in Scotland, Mellon also, so that leaves McIntyre?

Not convinced McIntyre seems to the great motivator Scott is hoping for.  More like a "sign a huge number of diddies and hope some of them aren't too bad" kind of manager

DS. GLS is above all pragmatic. Step by step improvement is his aim. JR was a good first appointment. What he is seeking to avoid, in my opinion, is having a manager who takes time to settle in.  There are several good candidates amongst those mentioned with a good track record in Scotland. Two of these have won Cups in Scotland. One or two have kept unfashionable teams in the Premiership and/or gained Promotion. Not bad I would say. Interviews will decide who can best work with the board and put together and motivate a team on our level of budget.  No reason to think that this will be in any way a poor or unambitious appointment.  Each of the candidates have experienced ups and downs in the game. For me this is a plus, not a minus. 

Edited by St.Ricky