New Manager Latest Odds

1 minute ago, Big Yards said:

Give us Stubbs, Mellon, Benni McCarthy or king Danny back. Mcintyres lack of overall intelligence compared to Jack would make it feel like a big backwards step.

Absolutely bang on. Give it till October and folk will be sick of him and dodds. They didn't get punted for nothing. And if your saying he won a cup.and did well in the league then let's bring back Danny. 

Stubbs won 1 in 14 games with Rotherham before getting the sack. They lost a record 7 away games in a row and had the worst goal difference in the entire Football League!

Yeh, just what we need!

JR had a very poor start as well..........the rest as they say.
I’ve no idea the circumstances Rotherham were in before / during that run on or off the park, so maybe a tad unfair on Stubbs. Just my opinion though.

52 minutes ago, Big Yards said:

Saw Danny Lennon in Dubai a fortnight ago at the same time Gordon Scott and jack Ross were also in Dubai. Maybe having a meeting with them?

incidentally John Kennedy flew out that day to Dubai also and Stephen McManus just flew back from Dubai today. Coincidence, popular holiday destination or all candidates for the job??

Isn't it strange that the job selection process has been drawn out this long. It's almost as though they were waiting on certain people to return from their holiday. 

58 minutes ago, pod said:

Your not very good at the old predictions.  I would put my money on Stubbs.  

Good luck

I think I've done not too badly to be honest. I called the Neilson story. I was told over that weekend that he was likely to pull out of the managerial race on the Monday. I posted the story on the Monday morning, by Monday afternoon it was confirmed he was out of the race. 

Last night with everyone still raving about Guti and other bonkers names on the list, I posted that Guti was not in the running. People accused me of plagiarising a story already on the web as it seems the story had already been reported elsewhere but regardless today it became clear Guti was not in the race. 

I predicted Kennedy would get the job. Despite not being heavily tipped by another other than me he's not been ruled out as yet. And he would certainly be a better choice than the four names getting bandied around at the moment. 

To be honest I think my strategy of parking the Sunday car outside of the stadium and listening out for news has worked without me being noticed but on second thoughts maybe a Lamborghini in Ferguslie Park is just a bit too noticeable. Tomorrow I might just use the Micra instead. 

8 minutes ago, StuD said:

Good luck

I think I've done not too badly to be honest. I called the Neilson story. I was told over that weekend that he was likely to pull out of the managerial race on the Monday. I posted the story on the Monday morning, by Monday afternoon it was confirmed he was out of the race. 

Last night with everyone still raving about Guti and other bonkers names on the list, I posted that Guti was not in the running. People accused me of plagiarising a story already on the web as it seems the story had already been reported elsewhere but regardless today it became clear Guti was not in the race. 

I predicted Kennedy would get the job. Despite not being heavily tipped by another other than me he's not been ruled out as yet. And he would certainly be a better choice than the four names getting bandied around at the moment. 

To be honest I think my strategy of parking the Sunday car outside of the stadium and listening out for news has worked without me being noticed but on second thoughts maybe a Lamborghini in Ferguslie Park is just a bit too noticeable. Tomorrow I might just use the Micra f they haven't interviewed

If they havn't interviewed Kennedy as yet then it would be worth doing it. Apart from StuD presenting him as manager elect he is the only one of the candidates ,other than the 3 celebrities who hasn't provoked strong feelings against. 

Edited by St.Ricky

I cannot fathom why some would be happy with Stubbs. It took Hibs 3 years to escape the Championship. I understand it was at a time that both Hearts and Sevco were involved, but Hearts were out of sight when they romped the title. The Sevvies may have taken it the year after but promotion in the playoff was achievable. All this says to me is that at no point in the league did Hibs punch above their weight, and the time taken to return to the SPL was unacceptable for a club of their size. He gets away with it slighty as he ended their century of failure in the Scottish Cup. That doesn't tell me he'll be a good manager through the whole season though. The idea of us appointing Stubbs is one which worries me.

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

Good idea on using the Micra. If they haven't interviewed Kennedy as yet then it would be worth doing it. Apart from StuD presenting him as manager elect he is the only one of the candidates ,other than the 3 celebrities who hasn't provoked strong feelings against. 

Absolutely. I don't think I've seen anyone saying he's shite, rubbish, crap or anything else. Stephen Kenny would be a better choice obviously, but Kennedy, it seems would be popular in Paisley. He's certainly played a big part in improving Celtics defensive fortunes since Rodgers took over at Parkhead and Kieran Tierney credits him with a lot of his own personal progress. 

1 hour ago, Dan Is The Man said:

Don’t understand the disdain towards Stubbs.

Didn’t get Hibs out the Championship but had them up there finishing second behind a rampant Hearts and in a tough league to add.

We off all should know how difficult it is to adjust to life in the Championship after relegation, I think he done a decent job off it.

Scottish cup semi in his first season then winning it in his second season. We could end up with worse.

Ehh....then the next season he didn't get them out the league either and didn't even finish 2nd. He came 3rd behind Falkirk. Then made an absolute arse of it at Rotherham.

Theres one thing going to England and failing but failing in the spectacular manner he did is another.

He has zero personality as well. He's about as inspirational as a cardboard box.

Isn't it strange that the job selection process has been drawn out this long. It's almost as though they were waiting on certain people to return from their holiday. 
Well I'm not back till the 15th so I doubt it is me they are waiting on [emoji41]

Absolutely. I don't think I've seen anyone saying he's shite, rubbish, crap or anything else. Stephen Kenny would be a better choice obviously, but Kennedy, it seems would be popular in Paisley. He's certainly played a big part in improving Celtics defensive fortunes since Rodgers took over at Parkhead and Kieran Tierney credits him with a lot of his own personal progress. 
More pish [emoji23] Celtic fans been slaughtering Kennedy for years about the amount of goals they lose from dead balls situation when playing European games [emoji23]

22 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Ehh....then the next season he didn't get them out the league either and didn't even finish 2nd. He came 3rd behind Falkirk. Then made an absolute arse of it at Rotherham.

Theres one thing going to England and failing but failing in the spectacular manner he did is another.

He has zero personality as well. He's about as inspirational as a cardboard box.

Why is personality important? 

Honestly some of the most successful managers in modern times were utterly dull people to listen to in interviews. Clunie was a gruff grumpy bastard on the radio but he took St Mirren to 3rd in the league and qualified for Europe for the first time in the clubs history. At Liverpool Bob Paisley hardly ever spoke but as Kenny Dalglish says, when he did you listened cause a pearl of wisdom was coming. Jim McLean was as dour and as grumpy as it gets. Alex Smith would "ehhhhhhhhhhh!!!" his way through every interview making him murder to listen to. 

As a football fan all I want is a manager who gets a team winning and players playing to the very limits of their capability every single week. I couldn't give a flying f**k if he interviews well or if he knows all the right cliches. 

I think Stubbs record at Hibs is being unfairly critiqued. Hibs finished 2nd, ahead of Rangers in Stubbs first season. Given that Hearts had been able to keep the majority of Gary Lockes SPL team for the First Division, it's perhaps no surprise Hearts were the strongest side in the division. That Hibs held their own against a Rangers side that had been chucking money at the project was more impressive than people make out. The second season wasn't so impressive as you rightly point out. Finishing behind "Rangers" was no disgrace, but falling behind Falkirk and losing to Falkirk in the Play Off Semi would have been a disappointment even if it was probably down to the distraction of making the Cup Final. 

It's his record at Rotherham that looks more worrying. 

Edited by StuD

8 minutes ago, renfrew said:

More pish emoji23.png Celtic fans been slaughtering Kennedy for years about the amount of goals they lose from dead balls situation when playing European games emoji23.png

You must know different Celtic fans from the ones I know. Personally, if we are discussing Europe, I was very impressed with how Kennedy devised Celtic's strategy for dealing with Neymar against PSG when Anthony Ralston did such a good job on him. 

You must know different Celtic fans from the ones I know. Personally, if we are discussing Europe, I was very impressed with how Kennedy devised Celtic's strategy for dealing with Neymar against PSG when Anthony Ralston did such a good job on him. 

What game was that, the 5-0 in Glasgow or the 7-1 in Paris?

12 minutes ago, StuD said:

Why is personality important? 

Honestly some of the most successful managers in modern times were utterly dull people to listen to in interviews. Clunie was a gruff grumpy bastard on the radio but he took St Mirren to 3rd in the league and qualified for Europe for the first time in the clubs history. At Liverpool Bob Paisley hardly ever spoke but as Kenny Dalglish says, when he did you listened cause a pearl of wisdom was coming. Jim McLean was as dour and as grumpy as it gets. Alex Smith would "ehhhhhhhhhhh!!!" his way through every interview making him murder to listen to. 

As a football fan all I want is a manager who gets a team winning and players playing to the very limits of their capability every single week. I couldn't give a flying f**k if he interviews well or if he knows all the right cliches. 

I think Stubbs record at Hibs is being unfairly critiqued. Hibs finished 2nd, ahead of Rangers in Stubbs first season. Given that Hearts had been able to keep the majority of Gary Lockes SPL team for the First Division, it's perhaps no surprise Hearts were the strongest side in the division. That Hibs held their own against a Rangers side that had been chucking money at the project was more impressive than people make out. The second season wasn't so impressive as you rightly point out. Finishing behind "Rangers" was no disgrace, but falling behind Falkirk and losing to Falkirk in the Play Off Semi would have been a disappointment even if it was probably down to the distraction of making the Cup Final. 

It's his record at Rotherham that looks more worrying. 

It's nothing to do with how he interviews. He just seems so uninspiring and dull. I could never imagine him motivating and firing up a group of players.

He's not the type of guy with great charisma I can see players itching to play for. 

His personality was a kind of side point anyway because admittedly its mostly speculation. You never know what these guys are like behind closed doors. The main point was more about his record which is poor IMO. I'm not giving him any credit at all for coming ahead of McCoists shocking Sevco side which were in total meltdown at the time. 

13 minutes ago, StuD said:

Personally, if we are discussing Europe, I was very impressed with how Kennedy devised Celtic's strategy for dealing with Neymar against PSG when Anthony Ralston did such a good job on him. 

I was impressed as well, Neymar scoring after 15 minutes and the green vermin suffering their worst ever home defeat in Europe.

I was impressed as well, Neymar scoring after 15 minutes and the green vermin suffering their worst ever home defeat in Europe.

Just as well Kennedy did such a great job otherwise they’d have got hammered rather than just losing by 12-1 over the 2 games.

If I was GLS and all set to appoint a Stubbs or McIntyre or Caldwell type as Jack Ross' successor and aware that none of them will generate much excitement among the fans and a few might have some PR problems for some fans, then I might find it useful to give the impression we have aimed high and had face to face talks with some top internationalists and Champions league winners, we've taken a look at up and coming part time Northern Irish candidates (recommended by Michael O'Neill no less), we've turned down Ally McCoist despite his interest in getting back into management with his local team and decided on balance and after lots of due diligence that no one knows our level of football in Scotland quite like Jim McIntyre. Some folks will be Guti-d it wasn't the Real Madrid U-19 coach who got the job, others will be relieved it wasn't the part time Northern Irishman, or McCoist (despite being 'box office'). Last time round, at this stage in the process Tony Fitzpatrick piped up St Mirren were open to appointing a female manager and urged them to send heir applications in.

What can we safely say thus far? Most of the in the know posters have been wrong. We clearly haven't had Neilson lined up since Jack Ross spoke to Barnsley... and why would Neilson sit around turning down other potential offers in the hope Ross moved on from Greenhill Road.