New Manager Latest Odds

1 minute ago, Pepé Le Pew said:

Even with the Cup win it seemed a lot of Hibs fans weren't to sad to see him move on. Same goes with McIntyre and the County support although I get the feeling they wouldn't have finished bottom dogs if they'd stuck with him.

Caldwell's record doesn't enthuse at all.

Kearney? A tough one to call as managing in a different environment in what is largely a part-time league.

I assume it won't be Caldwell. The rest have pros and cons but do any have the vision of Jack Ross? I'm not convinced on that score.

Yep but Jack Ross was just that so far, vision.

He is totally unproven at a higher level but seems to have all the tools to be a success. time will tell on that one.

Paul Hartley's record at Alloa and Dundee was every bit as good as Jack Ross. 

Jim McIntrye also has an escape act similar to Jack Ross at Ross County.

Ross will be a hard act to follow given the enthusiam he has given to the club.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Is 58 wins from 100 at Hibs in the Championship being held up as an impressive stat’. Nah! The cup win, aye, but then again, Danny Lennon has one of those notched up, so did Alex Smith, and Gus bloody well should have!

The 58% win percentage is completely misleading. Stubbs only managed to get Hibs to finish 2nd and 3rd in the Championship in 2 seasons, finishing behind Falkirk in the 2nd season.  It's hardly a good record for a club the size of Hibs in the Championship.

Given the apparent alternative of McIntyre and his 'brutal to watch' football I would say we're trapped between a rock and a hard place.

I think the most disappointing thing here is that after an imaginative appointment and a focus on good passing football that the board has abandoned that in favour of opting for the obvious candidates.  Suggests that the last appointment was simply luck.

Either Stubbs or McIntyre would be an Alex Rae standard appointment and will probably result in Alex Rae standard results. Either way it won't be pretty to watch (and we won't be tweeting examples of our goals to Barcelona this season).

15 minutes ago, Drew said:

Well, one thing we can certainly conclude from this thread is that the support will be divided whoever gets the gig.

I suppose that was inevitable, but I hope we can all agree that very little will be achieved by spouting negativity on here and elsewhere before he has even overseen a competitive game. Even then, we should be looking at a quarter season before judging him to any great degree. That is what Jack Ross required before he really lit a spark.

The new man will have the advantage of bringing his own players in immediately - something Jack didn't have. On the flip side, we are in a much tougher league, now, so the job is more challenging.

While I don't disagree the new manager will need time to settle in and shouldn't be judged too critically too soon he won't have the luxury Jack Ross had in the Championship where he could balls up getting results until the end of January and then go on league-winning form from February to May to stay up on goal difference on the final day.

Most promoted teams who stay up and do well carry some of the momentum and confidence from the previous season and get off to a good start. 

When I look at our squad at the moment, a few days before the transfer window opens, I reckon we only have about 6 or 7 players on our books at the moment who can comfortably cut it in the top division.

5 minutes ago, ds10 said:

I think the most disappointing thing here is that after an imaginative appointment and a focus on good passing football that the board has abandoned that in favour of opting for the obvious candidates.  Suggests that the last appointment was simply luck.

I think bringing in a manager with a decent record at a similar level is a very different direction for the club. Look at the last 25 years. We've not taken this approach once. 

Ross - lower league success

Rae - out of work for 5 years f**k knows what went through their minds

Murray - lower league success 

Teale - made up from assistant

Craig - snaked in from assistant

Lennon - lower league success

MacPherson - made up from assistant

Coughlin - made up from assistant 

Hendrie - lower league success

Fitzpatrick - came in from nowhere.

6 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

While I don't disagree the new manager will need time to settle in and shouldn't be judged too critically too soon he won't have the luxury Jack Ross had in the Championship where he could balls up getting results until the end of January and then go on league-winning form from February to May to stay up on goal difference on the final day.

Most promoted teams who stay up and do well carry some of the momentum and confidence from the previous season and get off to a good start. 

When I look at our squad at the moment, a few days before the transfer window opens, I reckon we only have about 6 or 7 players on our books at the moment who can comfortably cut it in the top division.

Aye, that's pretty much the size of it.

I comfort myself to some degree by looking at the calibre of a few of the other low level Premiership managers. They are no great shakes, and Livingston are unlikely to be able to attract anyone who would raise any eyebrows.

The new manager will have a very tough job on his hands. I reckon we can forget any lofty ambitions of top 6 this coming season. I'm not being defeatist, just realistic.  Consolidation will be the key,and it is unlikely to be pretty.

1 hour ago, zico said:

Yes, I'd be happy with a rookie manager.

I'd hardly say that St. Mirren is starting at the top! :lol:

St. Mirren are exactly the sort of club where a manager can serve an apprenticeship IMO!

We've appointed loads of managers in the past with no or minimal managerial experience.

We are in the top league of Scottish football not in the seaside leagues. Name me the last manager we hired with no experience (Fitzpatrick?) while in the top division?  TF and FMCG were given the job as we were in a relegation battle and we had no time to bring someone in. JK has no management experience  never mind minimal. I would be surprised if we gave the job to someone with no experience. By the way, rookie managers serve their apprenticeship in the lower leagues and not premiership. Gerard is a rare exception and we wait to see how he does.

Edited by nedflanders123

Jim McIntyre stats..

Team From To Record
G W D L Win %
Dunfermline Athletic 4 December 2007 16 March 2012 195 77 53 65 39.49
Queen of the South 27 June 2013 9 September 2014 54 25 9 20 46.30
Ross County 9 September 2014 25 September 2017 137 50 33 54 36.50
Total 386 152 95 139 39.38

Alan Stubbs stats...

Team From To Record Ref
P W D L Win %
Hibernian 24 June 2014 1 June 2016 100 58 19 23 58.0 [46]
Rotherham United 1 June 2016 19 October 2016 14 1 3 10 7.1 [46]
Total 114 59 22 33 51.8

Gary Caldwell stats...

Managerial record by team and tenure
Team From To Record Ref
P W D L Win %
Wigan Athletic 7 April 2015 25 October 2016 71 29 22 20 40.8 [29][35]
Chesterfield 17 January 2017 16 September 2017 29 3 8 18 10.3 [35]
Total 100 32 30 38 32.0

Oran Kearney Stat...

Win rate 44.2%

Club Appointed In charge until Duration of term Function Matches W D L Players used ø-Goals PPM
Coleraine FC Northern Ireland Coleraine 10/11 (Feb 5, 2011)  expected -  2679 Days Manager 276 122 76 78 93 1,48 : 1,24 1,60
Edited by Buddie Marvelous

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

How can Stubbs possibly be appointed before McIntyre. 

His league record as a manager is probably as bad as it gets, couple of good cup runs and thats it.

Kearney is an unknown and we'd have to trust the boards judgement. Don't think he'll get it mind.

Caldwell for me is a non starter.

Granted at Rotherham it was terrible - but his win rate at Hibs was 58% over 100 games.

Jack Ross over 80 games was 52.5% - its absolutely anything but "as bad as it gets".

One thing id say, the board interviewed last time and got it right, they discounted guys like Csaba Laszlo, and after interviewing only did Jack become the best man for the job when there was some decent Scottish names in for it.

Ive full confidence that while the guy we pick might not be the most inspired choice that it will be a decent appointment again, this board are 1 for 1 and they are not idiots.

2 minutes ago, marrez said:

Ive full confidence that while the guy we pick might not be the most inspired choice that it will be a decent appointment again, this board are 1 for 1 and they are not idiots.

So what does 1 from 2 make them. :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, marrez said:

Granted at Rotherham it was terrible - but his win rate at Hibs was 58% over 100 games.

Jack Ross over 80 games was 52.5% - its absolutely anything but "as bad as it gets".

Just goes to show how unreliable stats can be when taken out of context.

Finishing 2nd and 3rd in the Championship for a club the size of Hibs is hardly impressive even with a 58% win record.

Ross took over a team that were at the bottom of the league, this season the win percentage was 64%.  And with a budget that was probably far smaller than Hibs.

Not 'as bad as it gets' but mangaging Hibs with a relatively massive budget in the Championship, is probably nothing like managing the Buddies with a minuscule budget in the Premiership either.

2 hours ago, pod said:

Strangely, I've  never heard a thing.  Must be going deaf.

............................       .......   ........  ... .. ............... ...............

You may not have seen that but I was doing sign language for you......

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Well, one thing we can certainly conclude from this thread is that the support will be divided whoever gets the gig.

I suppose that was inevitable, but I hope we can all agree that very little will be achieved by spouting negativity on here and elsewhere before he has even overseen a competitive game. Even then, we should be looking at a quarter season before judging him to any great degree. That is what Jack Ross required before he really lit a spark.

The new man will have the advantage of bringing his own players in immediately - something Jack didn't have. On the flip side, we are in a much tougher league, now, so the job is more challenging.

Sensible post Drew. The new guy will need our support.  it's always easy to find fault. However.... The timing is right.  

37 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

JK has no management experience  never mind minimal. I would be surprised if we gave the job to someone with no experience. By the way, rookie managers serve their apprenticeship in the lower leagues and not premiership. Gerard is a rare exception and we wait to see how he does.

What has Jeremy Kyle got to do with all this?

Just goes to show how unreliable stats can be when taken out of context.
Finishing 2nd and 3rd in the Championship for a club the size of Hibs is hardly impressive even with a 58% win record.
Ross took over a team that were at the bottom of the league, this season the win percentage was 64%.  And with a budget that was probably far smaller than Hibs.
Not 'as bad as it gets' but mangaging Hibs with a relatively massive budget in the Championship, is probably nothing like managing the Buddies with a minuscule budget in the Premiership either.
Alex Rae told anyone who would listen after his sacking at St Mirren that he had best win stats/record of last 30+ years he was actually right so stats don't always tell the full story.

3 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

You would be happy if we employ a rookie manager with no experience? Most don't start at the top but serve an apprenticeship.

Kennedy has experience. Hes serving his apprenticeship under Brendan Rodgers. Three days ago the support were creaming their pants over rookies like Guti and Klievert being in for the job. :rolleyes:

Although Ill say again Stephen Kenny would be my choice if anyone is listening. 

4 hours ago, pod said:

In your dreams. :lol

Aw. What gave it away? Was it the idea that I could tolerate being in Paisley that long? Or the image of me having to lie on the kerb and rolling in to get in the drivers seat?

Stephen Kenny Stats.......

Team Nat From To Record
G W D L Win %
Longford Town Republic of Ireland 1998 7 December 2001 157 63 54 40 40.13
Bohemians Republic of Ireland 10 December 2001 27 July 2004 96 49 18 29 51.04
Derry City Republic of Ireland 19 August 2004 2006 112 65 18 29 58.04
Dunfermline Athletic Scotland 13 November 2006 4 December 2007 50 15 11 24 30.00
Derry City Republic of Ireland 28 December 2007 24 December 2011 181 93 49 39 51.38
Shamrock Rovers Republic of Ireland 27 December 2011 11 September 2012 37 19 6 12 51.35
Dundalk Republic of Ireland 21 November 2012 Present 241 156 36 49 64.73
Total 874 460 192 222

Pretty good record, but when he stepped out of Ireland he was pretty shit.

49 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Jim McIntyre stats..

Team From To Record
G W D L Win %
Dunfermline Athletic 4 December 2007 16 March 2012 195 77 53 65 39.49
Queen of the South 27 June 2013 9 September 2014 54 25 9 20 46.30
Ross County 9 September 2014 25 September 2017 137 50 33 54 36.50
Total 386 152 95 139 39.38

Alan Stubbs stats...

Team From To Record Ref
P W D L Win %
Hibernian 24 June 2014 1 June 2016 100 58 19 23 58.0 [46]
Rotherham United 1 June 2016 19 October 2016 14 1 3 10 7.1 [46]
Total 114 59 22 33 51.8

Gary Caldwell stats...

Managerial record by team and tenure
Team From To Record Ref
P W D L Win %
Wigan Athletic 7 April 2015 25 October 2016 71 29 22 20 40.8 [29][35]
Chesterfield 17 January 2017 16 September 2017 29 3 8 18 10.3 [35]
Total 100 32 30 38 32.0

Oran Kearney Stat...

Win rate 44.2%

Club Appointed In charge until Duration of term Function Matches W D L Players used ø-Goals PPM
Coleraine FC Northern Ireland Coleraine 10/11 (Feb 5, 2011)  expected -  2679 Days Manager 276 122 76 78 93 1,48 : 1,24 1,60

Interesting. What do McCoist's stats look like? Sorry asking you to do all the hard work!