New Manager Latest Odds

57 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

We are in the top league of Scottish football not in the seaside leagues. Name me the last manager we hired with no experience (Fitzpatrick?) while in the top division?  TF and FMCG were given the job as we were in a relegation battle and we had no time to bring someone in. JK has no management experience  never mind minimal. I would be surprised if we gave the job to someone with no experience. By the way, rookie managers serve their apprenticeship in the lower leagues and not premiership. Gerard is a rare exception and we wait to see how he does.

Jim Clunie got his first managerial job with St. Mirren in the top flight, as did Ricky McFarlane. Alex Miller had 2 months managerial experience with Morton when he got the St. Mirren job in the top flight. Although not in the top flight, Gus Macpherson's first managerial job was with St. Mirren.

There are plenty of examples of other managers getting their first job in the top flight in Scotland, off the top of my head, Graeme Souness, Walter Smith, Ally McCoist, Neil Lennon, Billy Davies, Tony Mowbray, Martin Canning, Neil McCann, etc, etc...

Edited by zico

1 minute ago, magnus said:

Interesting. What do McCoist's stats look like? Sorry asking you to do all the hard work!

Ally McCoist Stats.....

Team Nat From To Record

Team Nat From To Record
G W D L

Win %

Rangers              Scot            June 2011               Dec 2014              164         119        22        23         72.6%

5 minutes ago, Second Decay said:

I would rather have Alan Stubbs instead of Jim McIntyre as McIntyre is a cheque book manager whereas Stubbs is more committed towards youth development which is more St Mirren orienatated, youth players wouldn’t be given a look in under McIntyre.

Hardly a cheque book manager at Dunfermline and QOS ?

Have to laugh at some of the numbskulls still laying in to Jim McIntyre.  The stats and wider study of his record - which has been posted many times on this very thread - show he is a good manager with a strong track record.

Allan Stubbs would be a very concerning appointment in my book.

Looks like my theory that the assistant manager at Livi is running the show is correct:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/1492161/caley-jags-boss-robertson-linked-with-return-to-livingston/

Livingston director insisting the club do not draw up a short-list for the vacant manager's job for at least another nine days.

Assistant manager David Martindale is leading the search for a replacement to Hopkin but is currently on holiday until next Saturday.

Ward, who has previously said the new manager must agree to work with the existing coaching staff and backroom staff, said "David Martindale is on holiday until a week on Saturday and won't draw up the shortlist until then."

"He is speaking to people and taking calls and is continuing to work on this on the club's behalf".

2 hours ago, lenziebud said:

why do you think Hibs sacked him ?. He's a dud

58 wins from 100  with a club like Hibs in Championship ?

So Jack Ross won 31 League games in that same (arguably weaker) division and also 10 wins in various cup comps - 41 in 80 overall very similar and no cup win.  No idea why you are against Stubbs even before he is even appointed never mind kicks a ball in anger. He would get my support as would anyone else who gets it. The candidates are what they are. Why would you be against someone from the list available before they even start. Odd attitude !

1 minute ago, class of 76-77 said:

The odds on Stubbs are now 1/5.

Does anyone know the identity of today’s applicants, or if indeed there were any being interviewed today.

I think I read that Kearney was being interviewed today.

Personally I think that any one of the 4 in the race have plus points. Stubbs has the contacts in England, McIntyre has a decent record as Ross County. Caldwell managed at a decent level down south and the Northern Irish bloke is up and coming and hungry for success. Any of the above will do for me

1 hour ago, StuD said:

Aw. What gave it away? Was it the idea that I could tolerate being in Paisley that long? Or the image of me having to lie on the kerb and rolling in to get in the drivers seat?

More thinking, would any St.Mirren supporter tolerate you being in paisley.   fat-man-comp.jpg.d5af52dedffa3f1025226f375516cd82.jpg

Can see where your coming from.

Right now I would rather have anyone than reading the madness of this thread ,  hold my hand up I have made a few posts my self. 

You just made another one [emoji12][emoji23]

Don’t know how many times this has went off topic, I don’t care what our past managers have done, they are gone. Let’s just see who gets the job, give him a chance see what happens. Maybe there are others being interviewed we don’t know about. C’mon saints make an announcement & take it from there.
This forum is gong to explode when new man gets announced, I can just see it.

Just now, cambiebud said:

Personally I think that any one of the 4 in the race have plus points. Stubbs has the contacts in England, McIntyre has a decent record as Ross County. Caldwell managed at a decent level down south and the Northern Irish bloke is up and coming and hungry for success. Any of the above will do for me

I like the cut of your jib!

More of this, please.

A few posts ago someone said Jack Ross’ win percentage last season was 64%. Is that correct? It’s a misleading stat’ though. We lost some games after being crowned championees and having a few swallys doon’ the pubs of Paisley. Cannae’ be arsed working out how many ‘meaningless’ games we failed to win in the latter part of the season, but Falkirk owned us for sure.

Annnyyywayyy.  Statistics and damned lies. Who said that again? Jack’s stats’ for his first few months in charge would have been a brutal read. Here’s an equation...

Stubbs’ stats v McIntyre’s stats v Caldwell’s stats v Micky Mellon’s stats v Guti’s Lamborghini = fcuk all that will really tell us if they will be good at the Twenny Twenny Wan next season and beyond.

Said it already, not one of the names now supposedly in the hunt even remotely excites me, makes me think ‘yes, we’ve got a good un here’ or anything remotely like it. Fcuking meh, with a capital M.

The winner of the meh stakes though - best wishes,  but don’t you dare fcuk this up.

14 minutes ago, ged62 said:

You just made another one emoji12.pngemoji23.png

Don’t know how many times this has went off topic, I don’t care what our past managers have done, they are gone. Let’s just see who gets the job, give him a chance see what happens. Maybe there are others being interviewed we don’t know about. C’mon saints make an announcement & take it from there.
This forum is gong to explode when new man gets announced, I can just see it.

Get behind the new man. The candidate list looks good to me and much better than it would have looked when JR was approached and appointed.