New Manager Latest Odds

3 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

Usually a safe statement, especially us going into the big league.

Odds would suggest we'll struggle. 

That's the sensible approach ADS but why be sensible.  Progress will be... Go through League Cup first round matches.  Finish in top 8 and Through 2 rounds of the Scottish Cup or better. That would be a good start for me and provide a base to build on for the next season.  3 year deal being talked about and will need at least 3 transfer windows to build bus own team. 

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Rangers Hearts & Hibs were in the Championship in Murray's last season wit Dumbarton - so you're  comparing apples & oranges like I said when the season finished they were still the best P/T team.

And as I've said if you bother to look at their scores that season against the teams who weren't Hearts, Hibs or Rangers International they lost a surprising amount of games, sometimes handsomely to Alloa and Cowdenbeath. Only Cowdenbeath's 10-0 thumping at the hands of Hearts facilitated them finishing with the worst goal difference in the league. You would have thought someone on the board would have looked at results with a candidate's current club and not giving the job to whoever spoke well at their interview.

4 minutes ago, johnmeiksy said:

Totally underwhelmed!!!

Me too. However, like JR before him I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and he'll have my full support, up to a point.

I'm not in the camp that thinks Stubbs will be an unmitigated disaster, but I can't pretend that I think that this is an inspirational appointment. I won't be spitting the dummy and going into a puerile huff for the duration of his tenure.

One positive IMO, is that he's a better option than McIntyre. Only my opinion mind you.

Now that the new manager situation is practically settled, it’s now time to rekindle the feel-good factor and get behind Alan Stubbs if his appointment is confirmed within the next couple of days.

There have been differences aired on here due to the fact there did not appear to be any one outstanding candidate ready to take over the reins from Jack Ross.

The St Mirren support was a significant factor in the satisfactory conclusion to the season just ended and it is important that that continues into the new season.

Probably very few on here envied the task facing GLS and TF in choosing the right person/s to take over from JR and JF.

Now that this unfortunate disruption is nearly over we have a lot of catching up to do to sign the players required to enable the feel-good factor to continue into season 2018/19.

Just now, northstbuddie said:

Now that the new manager situation is practically settled, it’s now time to rekindle the feel-good factor and get behind Alan Stubbs if his appointment is confirmed within the next couple of days.

There have been differences aired on here due to the fact there did not appear to be any one outstanding candidate ready to take over the reins from Jack Ross.

The St Mirren support was a significant factor in the satisfactory conclusion to the season just ended and it is important that that continues into the new season.

Probably very few on here envied the task facing GLS and TF in choosing the right person/s to take over from JR and JF.

Now that this unfortunate disruption is nearly over we have a lot of catching up to do to sign the players required to enable the feel-good factor to continue into season 2018/19.

Great post.

I concur!

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Me too. However, like JR before him I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and he'll have my full support, up to a point.

I'm not in the camp that thinks Stubbs will be an unmitigated disaster, but I can't pretend that I think that this is an inspirational appointment. I won't be spitting the dummy and going into a puerile huff for the duration of his tenure.

One positive IMO, is that he's a better option than McIntyre. Only my opinion mind you.

If the choice was purely between Kearney, McIntyre, Stubbs or Caldwell, as we are now lead to believe it was, then I’d have wanted Stubbs to get it.

My juices aren’t exactly flowing with excitement though, but if we give him a fair go, it might work out OK. I haven’t heard stories about Stubbs being difficult to work with, players not liking him or his methods, and he has experience, so fasten seatbelts and hope there’s no turbulence.

Part of me, I must admit, is gutted that we’ll never get to hear someone in the West Bank attempt to start a rousing chorus of ‘Micky Mellon’s Black and White Army!’

58 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Nonsense. We were told John Kennedy was getting it. Hasn’t StuD been on yet posting along the lines of ‘I always knew Stubbs was getting it, I received a phone call two weeks ago from someone high up in BT Sport who gave me the heads-up that Stubbs was hanging up his brightly-coloured microphone. My source asked me to feed the forum a misleading story about another person getting it, to deflect attention away...’ 

He must have, surely.

No not at all. But I did know the St Mirren board would make a completely uninspiring appointment rather than going for someone will a really impressive track record like Stephen Kenny. 

I like Alan Stubbs. I've met him a few times and he's a nice enough guy. I also think some have been way too harsh on his record at Hibs. His record at Rotherham rings alarm bells for me but so long as there's a realistic expectation placed on him for the coming season I'm sure he can manage 11th. 

3 minutes ago, StuD said:

No not at all. But I did know the St Mirren board would make a completely uninspiring appointment rather than going for someone will a really impressive track record like Stephen Kenny. 

I like Alan Stubbs. I've met him a few times and he's a nice enough guy. I also think some have been way too harsh on his record at Hibs. His record at Rotherham rings alarm bells for me but so long as there's a realistic expectation placed on him for the coming season I'm sure he can manage 11th. 

AWAY AND SHITE!

Edit: Next time I’m going for 24pt text, bold, and in red.

Edited by pozbaird

The new manager when appointed will and should get our full support. What he has or hasn’t done does not concern me it how he performs as our manager that does. My 1st choice would have been Pep but he has just signed a deal deal at City. [emoji23]

I’m optimistic that if it is Stubbs it will be a good appointment. We’re in the Premiership and if that does not get you in positive mood. Remember the dark days under Coughlin, Craig, Murray & Rae when we were sinking faster than the Titanic to where we are now a team on the way up.

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If the choice was purely between Kearney, McIntyre, Stubbs or Caldwell, as we are now lead to believe it was, then I’d have wanted Stubbs to get it.

My juices aren’t exactly flowing with excitement though, but if we give him a fair go, it might work out OK. I haven’t heard stories about Stubbs being difficult to work with, players not liking him or his methods, and he has experience, so fasten seatbelts and hope there’s no turbulence.

Part of me, I must admit, is gutted that we’ll never get to hear someone in the West Bank attempt to start a rousing chorus of ‘Micky Mellon’s Black and White Army!’

Stubbsy's Black and White army has certain ring to it.

Just now, FTOF said:

Stubbsy's Black and White army has certain ring to it.

It will if we’re winning some games and  giving it a right go. The Micky Mellon songbook had infinite possibilities though...

There’s only one Micky Mellon,

Only one Micky Mellon,

His record is shite,

His Lamborghini is white,

We’re walking in a Mellon wonderland.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:
1 hour ago, jaybee said:

Do you really think Goody would be a Baddie and leave the chairman who gave him his start, when he already withdrew .... more than likely partially because of the chairman who gave him his start. etc etc etc :P

No... Magnus google and he seems to have a settled back room team.  Goody was just wishful thinking. 

Yes me too:rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, FTOF said:
55 minutes ago, johnmeiksy said:

Totally underwhelmed!!!

A big Phew not having McIntyre; I agree and yet a lot seemed to be impressed by him and what he had achieved, what worried me was the turnover of players at Ross, so most definitely  :bah 

Who were we actually expecting to get? We are not exactly a big club, never had a top 6 finish, been up & down the 2 leagues. Think we all got carried away with the names that were mentioned, looks like it’s Stubbs so he’s got my full support. COYS

8 minutes ago, ged62 said:

Who were we actually expecting to get? We are not exactly a big club, never had a top 6 finish, been up & down the 2 leagues. Think we all got carried away with the names that were mentioned, looks like it’s Stubbs so he’s got my full support. COYS

You're right, I for one definitely got carried away. Now with this saga looking like it's coming to an end with the appointment of Stubbs, I'm optimistic of the season ahead.  If he can get in a few players of decent quality that will help win over the doubters.