New Manager Latest Odds

1 hour ago, LargsBud said:

Looks like we've approached Lambert accordng to Sky Sports. They seem to be moving quickly anyway with plenty of approaches to talk to managers. I expect this to be concluded this week.

The "Sky sources" on this occasion is probably a guy reading the Scottish Sun, which reported it either yesterday or today. Probably no more at this stage than Fitzy phoning him to see if he's interested.

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

The "Sky sources" on this occasion is probably a guy reading the Scottish Sun, which reported it either yesterday or today. Probably no more at this stage than Fitzy phoning him to see if he's interested.

The Sky sources are top notch, don't disregard them. Very thorough with their sources Sky are.

They were bang on about Aberdeen signing Yerdas Selzavon after all in January 2017.

8 hours ago, Soctty said:

Not for me. Has done nothing noteworthy since leaving Norwich - last three jobs lasted 15 months combined. He'd be a headline grabber, but I'd prefer someone with their career in front of them, with something to prove and ambitions for a top class career than someone who doesn't need the money or the hassle.

Nothing noteworthy ? At Aston Villa, managed a Premiership club in England for 3 seasons with an abysmal American owner in Lerner and you think that's nothing noteworthy ?

He went to Blackburn and stabalised the mess Coyle had left. Asked Venky's for money to mount a push in the Championship the for the following season and left due to the response. They got relegated the next season.

He took over a Wolves team fighting relegation and go them safe that season, getting the team playing to the extent that they beat Liverpool at Anfield. He left as the club ownership changed to a signing process where Jorge Mendes would provide the players. Lambert wanted involvement. So again he left. In highsight with the players they signed probably the wrong move ?

He went to Stoke who were a basket case. Weeded out all the trouble makers, got all the players playing for him and wasn't a million miles away from succeeding. Again premiership club. Ever though why Stoke board appointed the guy. Go and ask Jack Butland and Charlie Adam about Lambert's time at Stoke.

At Wycombe, Colchester and Norwich he was outstanding.

Also played at the highest level and won the Champions League

I didn't think we'd be in the running for Lambert but if we get him he will be a superb appointment.

Utterly amazes me the total junk that's thrown the way of coaches like Billy Davies and Paul Lambert. 

Edited by lenziebud

2 hours ago, Stu said:

He pop in to see Fitzy personally.  :rolleyes:

Lambert would be a great appointment if it came off. A real shot in the arm. I always thought we would be in with a shout of landing Stevie Clarke as manager one day because of the past connection, but deep down  never really believed it would actually happen. Lambert is in that bracket. Maybe, like Clarke, or Thommo... it might just be Lambert’s time to come home. Expectation levels at his recent English gigs were tough. Expectation levels for us would be to avoid relegation while playing some fitba’, and to establish us as a top flight club again. His experience leads me to believe he could handle those expectations.

If this comes off, great news, IMHO.

Edited by pozbaird

58 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Nothing noteworthy ? At Aston Villa, managed a Premiership club in England for 3 seasons with an abysmal American owner in Lerner and you think that's nothing noteworthy ?

He went to Blackburn and stabalised the mess Coyle had left. Asked Venky's for money to mount a push in the Championship the for the following season and left due to the response. They got relegated the next season.

He took over a Wolves team fighting relegation and go them safe that season, getting the team playing to the extent that they beat Liverpool at Anfield. He left as the club ownership changed to a signing process where Jorge Mendes would provide the players. Lambert wanted involvement. So again he left. In highsight with the players they signed probably the wrong move ?

He went to Stoke who were a basket case. Weeded out all the trouble makers, got all the players playing for him and wasn't a million miles away from succeeding. Again premiership club. Ever though why Stoke board appointed the guy. Go and ask Jack Butland and Charlie Adam about Lambert's time at Stoke.

I didn't think we'd be in the running for Lambert but if we get him he will be a superb appointment.

Utterly amazes me the total junk that's thrown the way of coaches like Billy Davies and Paul Lambert. 

Bang on . Can't believe people are even talking about Hopkin and Goodwin in the same sentence as Paul Lambert.  If Lambert is remotely interested, we should be doing all that we can to get him. 

7 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

To the first part . I made no comment and I am not sure if he would and any implication attributed to my post comes solely from you but we aren’t discussing Lambert here, our conversation is regarding Steve Clarke.
Part 2 , so you believe anyone who has a counter view to you or provides facts in reply to your post to be making mischief ?
Really ?
My point remains , Steve Clarke had TWO manager positions and was sacked from BOTH.
It’s not too difficult to grasp surely , I am not saying SC is ,was or will be a bad manager ,I am simply stating the fact he was sacked.....TWICE .

So in summary:

Part 1 - no.

Part 2 - You take life far too seriously to make mischief...

Cheers for that.  :thumbs2

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

My brief reply, Paul, is that I do think he's done nothing noteworthy for the past 6 years...

:wink:

What this guy said [emoji1305]

3 hours ago, lenziebud said:

The Venky's are indeed a nightmare, but Coyle replaced Lambert, not the other way round. Lambert took over from Gary Bowyer. 

The likes of me?
Criminal past?
Come on then, let's hear it.  A couple of days ago you suggested I spent all my time abusing Jack Ross on Twitter. Now you are referring to my criminal past.
You are very close to crossing a line, here, so you had better be able to back this up.

[emoji23]

The Lambert option seems a bit improbable to me.

If I were being cynical, I might suggest that that this is the Billy Davies approach this time round. The club making overtures to a high profile figure in the game in order to give an indication of its ambition and where the bar is being set. This, despite the fact that it is unlikely that the person involved will bite.

I won't be cynical, though. Both Davies and Lambert have links with the club, and there was no harm in sounding them out. If you don't ask, etc.

On Lambert, I'm not convinced that he'd be the right fit in any event. A guy who is used to having megabucks at his disposal when compared to what he would have as a budget at St Mirren, and who would also be on a megabucks wage.  I'm not so interested in his record, as I don't really know enough about it, but wonder how he would adapt to life managing a relatively small club back in Scotland.

8 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Brilliant post all the way up to the point where you intimate that Billy Davies isnae a wee knob. :D

Apart from that, outstanding!

9 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Again FACTS getting in the way of debate.......... great response

Edited by DougJamie

1 hour ago, Drew said:

The Lambert option seems a bit improbable to me.

If I were being cynical, I might suggest that that this is the Billy Davies approach this time round. The club making overtures to a high profile figure in the game in order to give an indication of its ambition and where the bar is being set. This, despite the fact that it is unlikely that the person involved will bite.

I won't be cynical, though. Both Davies and Lambert have links with the club, and there was no harm in sounding them out. If you don't ask, etc.

On Lambert, I'm not convinced that he'd be the right fit in any event. A guy who is used to having megabucks at his disposal when compared to what he would have as a budget at St Mirren, and who would also be on a megabucks wage.  I'm not so interested in his record, as I don't really know enough about it, but wonder how he would adapt to life managing a relatively small club back in Scotland.

A few years ago, say when we moved on from Gus, if SG was in any way linked with Paul Lambert, it would have been a joke, a laugh. Same could have been said for the likes of Killie getting Stevie Clarke a few years ago, or us getting Thommo’ when he was younger than when we did get him, and he could command a good level English gig - a joke, a laugh, no chance.

If there’s any truth in Lambert being approached, at this juncture in both his life and St Mirren’s place in Scottish football, looks far from a joke idea to me (not suggesting you think it’s a joke by the way!). Lambert has made his money, like Clarke, like Thommo, like Teale, and I suppose to a lesser extent like Stephen McGinn. Maybe it’s time for Lambert to put down roots again at home, move back to the nice part of Houston he used to live in, and once more be seen taking his dog for walks past the river Cart.

Would he demand big wages and be looking for a big budget? I doubt it, not st St Mirren. If he were being courted by the likes of Leeds or Nottingham Forest, or a West Brom’ type of club, then I’m sure money and a budget to allow him to challenge down there would be a primary concern of his. If he were interested in the St Mirren gig, there’s more to it. There’s coming home, settling down, maybe for life now, there’s a past connection, a relationship with our CEO. It would also be a move to a club where the reaction from the fanbase would (I suggest) be very positive, rather than another English notch on his bedpost, where a big and expectant fanbase might think ‘Lambert? Just got relegated and has had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus, meh.’

I suppose, simply put, IF he thought there were big wages and a massive warchest at St Mirren, then any discussions he might have with Fitzy would be over in about two minutes anyway.

Edited by pozbaird

26 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

A few years ago, say when we moved on from Gus, if SG was in any way linked with Paul Lambert, it would have been a joke, a laugh. Same could have been said for the likes of Killie getting Stevie Clarke a few years ago, or us getting Thommo’ when he was younger than when we did get him, and he could command a good level English gig - a joke, a laugh, no chance.

If there’s any truth in Lambert being approached, at this juncture in both his life and St Mirren’s place in Scottish football, looks far from a joke idea to me (not suggesting you think it’s a joke by the way!). Lambert has made his money, like Clarke, like Thommo, like Teale, and I suppose to a lesser extent like Stephen McGinn. Maybe it’s time for Lambert to put down roots again at home, move back to the nice part of Houston he used to live in, and once more be seen taking his dog for walks past the river Cart.

Would he demand big wages and be looking for a big budget? I doubt it, not st St Mirren. If he were being courted by the likes of Leeds or Nottingham Forest, or a West Brom’ type of club, then I’m sure money and a budget to allow him to challenge down there would be a primary concern of his. If he were interested in the St Mirren gig, there’s more to it. There’s coming home, settling down, maybe for life now, there’s a past connection, a relationship with our CEO. It would also be a move to a club where the reaction from the fanbase would (I suggest) be very positive, rather than another English notch on his bedpost, where a big and expectant fanbase might think ‘Lambert? Just got relegated and has had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus, meh.’

I suppose, simply put, IF he thought there were big wages and a massive warchest at St Mirren, then any discussions he might have with Fitzy would be over in about two minutes anyway.

He could very easily restore his reputation at St Mirren and then be Sunderland's next manager.

5 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

He could very easily restore his reputation at St Mirren and then be Sunderland's next manager.

He could very easily restore his reputation and become Sellik or Sevco’s next manager. :booty