New Manager Latest Odds

9 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

IOBS.  often agree with you but not this time.  Realistic is 7th Place by funding,  expected crowds etc. 

Not my point Ricky. Gordon Scott has ambition for a top six place which he talked about in a intrview. He, You, me all know realistic place next season is survival from that we build. Personally I don' want any manager talking about the budget as an excuse before they are even apponted. We want hear enthusiasm and we are going to work hard to to see where it takes us. Anyway I will back the manager no matter who it is. 

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Not my point Ricky. Gordon Scott has ambition for a top six place which he talked about in a intrview. He, You, me all know realistic place next season is survival from that we build. Personally I don' want any manager talking about the budget as an excuse before they are even apponted. We want hear enthusiasm and we are going to work hard to to see where it takes us. Anyway I will back the manager no matter who it is. 

Yes IOBS that is the main priority. When i started this thread i had some realistic and some not so candidates. There have been around 40 names punted on here. One thing is everyone will have merits and possible concerns . Thats what  has happened with every appt. I remember reading the major concerns over Jack and Danny. Also how different BODs went cheap and lacked ambition. I have Killie pals who admit they didnt want Clarke and a few Dons pals who cant stand McInnes. Dont even start me on Hearts or of course the newco . The reason football is such a grab. Particularily when ur getting past the stage of playing......is opinions. But as u say mate.WHOEVER gets the gig has my full support as i do know the BOD are massive fans of this club. 

1 hour ago, kevo_smfc said:

I wouldn't read too much into whos been shortlisted and whos been linked. Guti for instance being linked, is pie in the sky as far as im concerned. Im fairly confident that the club already had managers in thought, though are sifting through all the applications to see if there is additional candidates out of work. The board still needs to weigh up the best options and narrow it down to their preferred candidiates to take to the next stage.

Indeed.

With the number of names that appear day by day, you'd have to think that the halfwits in the media lie awake at night conjuring up names in order to fill a bit of column space.

GS will be looking to appoint someone with a similar profile to Jack Ross, with maybe a bit more managerial experience.. Other than Oran Kearney very few of the names mentioned so far fit the bill IMO.

I'd much rather we appointed someone who is actually in post and has achieved something special with his current club, rather that one that's been unemployed for months after being sacked for being not good enough.

Sure it will cost us in compensation, but IMO it would be worth it.

On 6/1/2018 at 4:55 AM, StuD said:

Even his "disasterous 13 months at Dunfermline" saw a Scottish Cup Final, a Challenge Cup Final and qualification for Europe all way before Rangers went bust too.  

Spin it however you like. He took charge of them in what at the time was the SPL and a year later, left them 2nd bottom of the First Division . 

He was in charge for 33 games and won 5. Five. Put all the air quotes in that you like but there's no denying it was an absolute disaster. Tommy Craig even had a better win percentage in Charge of St. Mirren than Stephen Kenny had with Dunfermline. 

Edited by djchapsticks

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Spin it however you like. He took charge of them in what at the time was the SPL and a year later, left them 2nd bottom of the First Division . 

He was in charge for 33 games and won 5. Five. Put all the air quotes in that you like but there's no denying it was an absolute disaster. Tommy Craig even had a better win percentage in Charge of St. Mirren than Stephen Kenny had with Dunfermline. 

dj...  stop bringing FACTS into posts with him. To him they are irrelevant ..... Kenny has done well in Ireland but thats clearly with respect his level

33 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

In his 13 months Dunfermline qualified for Europe. Remind me DJ when in the 80's did St Mirren last play in Europe? 

edited to add - I'm sure you said yesterday that Kenny was a good call. Nowt stranger than a point scoring St Mirren fan

I said it last time that its not actually a bad shout. Stephen Kenny is forever tainted by the Dunfermline fiasco and its a bit unfair. 

Edited by StuD

10 minutes ago, StuD said:

In his 13 months Dunfermline qualified for Europe. Remind me DJ when in the 80's did St Mirren last play in Europe? 

edited to add - I'm sure you said yesterday that Kenny was a good call. Nowt stranger than a point scoring St Mirren fan

I still don't get this StuD. You tell us all you have it on good authority that John Kennedy has the job, but still tout Stephen Kenny. Bit strange.

20 minutes ago, StuD said:

Hi Stu. And a very good afternoon to u from Bucharest. Its 30c and beautiful blue skies. Just going for a stroll with my gorgeous missus. Oh the question. Pretty sure we lost to the eventual winners in 1988. However just to add. Its slightly harder to qualify for Europe in Scotland. Now i could be wrong here. But i dont think Kennys budget is dwarfed by OF giants or indeed a Hibs Hearts or Aberdeen. My point is Kenny i am sure is the man for the job when he is playing against Irish villages but as shown struggles against rather large city clubs. But again all this is my opinion and its the new BOD that got shot of Rae and appointed Jack that i will abide. As they say the rest is all background noise.  But opinions make the world go round dont they

27 minutes ago, StuD said:

I said it last time that its not actually a bad shout. Stephen Kenny is forever tainted by the Dunfermline fiasco and its a bit unfair.  

"not actually a bad shout" is a bit short of "good call" - even when someone agrees you may have a point you're not satisfied. 

There's a word for posters like you. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

I still don't get this StuD. You tell us all you have it on good authority that John Kennedy has the job, but still tout Stephen Kenny. Bit strange.

What's difficult to understand about it? I've said Stephen Kenny would be the perfect choice of manager for the Saints every time the job has come up. Its still the case. I've been told John Kennedy has got the job - which is fair enough - he's a well respected coach, but that wouldn't make him my choice ahead of someone like Stephen Kenny. 

19 minutes ago, StuD said:

What's difficult to understand about it? I've said Stephen Kenny would be the perfect choice of manager for the Saints every time the job has come up. Its still the case. I've been told John Kennedy has got the job - which is fair enough - he's a well respected coach, but that wouldn't make him my choice ahead of someone like Stephen Kenny. 

So, what you are implying is that rather than employing JK if he has been chosen, the club are going to waste their time and that of prospective candidates by undertaking a selection and recruitment process next week?  If that was indeed true then serious questions would have to be asked.

However, I find it incredible that you somehow have been told by someone that JK will be the new manager.  I am sure that key members of our board read this forum and if your claims had any accuracy they wouldn't be progressing with their upcoming recruitment process. The fact that nothing has been said implies you are talking nonsense or, at best, wildly speculating.  If JK is indeed given the job it will be a result of him being the best candidate from all applicants selected and interviewed.

1 hour ago, StuD said:

I did say that he wasn't a bad shout. 

You bizarrely took umbrage with me saying his Dunfermline stint was a fiasco though and putting phrases in quotation marks as if to say it somehow wasn't. 

Which is clearly was. Cup run or not. 

5 wins in 33 games, a relegation and leaving a club 2nd bottom of the league below after a year is a dreadful record. 

Edited by djchapsticks

14 hours ago, Balmullo Bud said:

No problem with Ally McCoist particularly with Kenny Mc Dowall as coach. A few assurances about his approach to bringing young players through from the Academy and a promise not to opine on Rangers while our manager and good to go. He has a damaged reputation and a point to prove. He isn't doing it for the money. In his own way he is box office. He has managed in Scotland and has won promotions. Ticks a lot of boxes for me .

Edited by magnus