Jump to content

New Manager Latest Odds


Recommended Posts


31 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

I think Kearney will be seen as too high risk.

He's a full-time PE teacher and part-time football manager in Northern Ireland. He's never actually been in football full-time in any capacity.

To go from that to a full-time manager in the top league in Scotland seems like too big a jump for me. If we were still in the Championship then maybe...

And he won't have a clue about Scottish football or the type of players required  for our level. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, elvis said:

And he won't have a clue about Scottish football or the type of players required  for our level. 

What a daft statement.

Would that be because he's incapable of speaking to anyone else and finding out information about Scottish football?

Although he could speak to his father in law to find out...........

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Yes, I can see that, my employers frequently consult me about who I think my boss should be. 

If Eck, Smith and Reilly worked day in day out with Neilson then why on earth would we not want a bit of inside info?! If Levein was pulling the strings and Neilson wasn't actually all that then it would be good to know.

Maybe, if we'd spoken to players who'd been managed by Ian Murray.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

I think Kearney will be seen as too high risk.

He's a full-time PE teacher and part-time football manager in Northern Ireland. He's never actually been in football full-time in any capacity.

To go from that to a full-time manager in the top league in Scotland seems like too big a jump for me. If we were still in the Championship then maybe...

The irony hasn't been wasted on me. Some of those who have argued that Jack Ross is a great managerial appointment for Sunderland, think Oran Kearney lacks the relevant experience to be St Mirren manager. And some who argued that Stephen Kenny with his 17 trophies across 4 unfashionable clubs before he turned 46 years old, with three back to back league titles in the bag and heading for 4 in a row, was from a diddy league, are now saying they'd be happy to take a chance on a man who has only won one Irish Cup trophy and no league titles  in his seven years in charge of a club in a diddy league. 

FWIW JB, I agree with you. As diddy a team as St Mirren are it's a huge leap to go from teaching children and being a part time football manager. Tom Hendrie managed it successfully but if you speak to some of his ex players it also showed in the way he prepped them for matches. Gordon Scott and Tony Fitzpatrick should be careful of people who are lobbying to get their friends involved in the full time game. It seldom works out. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of the listed candidates it should be a straight fight between Neilson and McIntrye. I wouldnt consider any of the rest.

Why are we for one second potentially taking a gamble on  McCoist. If Ally McCoist wants another chance in management he should do it in the Championship or lower and prove himself. He is not what we need right now.

I prefer McIntrye but Robbie Neilson is far better option than any of the others and knows what it takes like Jim McIntyre.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

At least we are taking our time by interviewing quite a few by the sounds of it.

I suspect we'll be interviewing considerably fewer candidates that the "exclusives" that the press are claiming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, StuD said:

The irony hasn't been wasted on me. Some of those who have argued that Jack Ross is a great managerial appointment for Sunderland, think Oran Kearney lacks the relevant experience to be St Mirren manager. And some who argued that Stephen Kenny with his 17 trophies across 4 unfashionable clubs before he turned 46 years old, with three back to back league titles in the bag and heading for 4 in a row, was from a diddy league, are now saying they'd be happy to take a chance on a man who has only won one Irish Cup trophy and no league titles  in his seven years in charge of a club in a diddy league. 

FWIW JB, I agree with you. As diddy a team as St Mirren are it's a huge leap to go from teaching children and being a part time football manager. Tom Hendrie managed it successfully but if you speak to some of his ex players it also showed in the way he prepped them for matches. Gordon Scott and Tony Fitzpatrick should be careful of people who are lobbying to get their friends involved in the full time game. It seldom works out. 

 

Kenny wouldn't be the worst option for the Saints job as I've already said, but he's not the "perfect choice" - bottom line is if he wanted back over this side of the water he'd have is own friends lobbying for him.

One of your better wind-ups but nothing more. 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, StuD said:

The irony hasn't been wasted on me. Some of those who have argued that Jack Ross is a great managerial appointment for Sunderland, think Oran Kearney lacks the relevant experience to be St Mirren manager. And some who argued that Stephen Kenny with his 17 trophies across 4 unfashionable clubs before he turned 46 years old, with three back to back league titles in the bag and heading for 4 in a row, was from a diddy league, are now saying they'd be happy to take a chance on a man who has only won one Irish Cup trophy and no league titles  in his seven years in charge of a club in a diddy league. 

FWIW JB, I agree with you. As diddy a team as St Mirren are it's a huge leap to go from teaching children and being a part time football manager. Tom Hendrie managed it successfully but if you speak to some of his ex players it also showed in the way he prepped them for matches. Gordon Scott and Tony Fitzpatrick should be careful of people who are lobbying to get their friends involved in the full time game. It seldom works out. 

 

I'm looking at having some pipes fitted in my house.

There's a guy from Belfast, a teacher, fits pipes on the side: Tuesday and Thursday nights as well as Saturday afternoons. Heard he's quite good.

Who should I give the job to? Him or you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, class of 76-77 said:

 I agree, it’s likely that GLS will go down a similar route to the one used in JR’s appointment. Kearney comes with some good recommendations from within the game. He seems like a similar type of manager to Jack Ross and is a very interesting candidate. 

He will also have first hand knowledge of the caliber of player in the Irish league  and who could do a good job here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not sure that I agree with folk who are of the opinion that, if you currently manage on a part time basis then it renders you incapable of taking on a full time managerial position. It didn’t adversely affect Jack Ross in his positions with part time outfits like Dumbarton and Alloa. 

To me it shows the man can work within budget constraints, yet still produce a good side competing with clubs with bigger and better resources.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Kearney would be a huge gamble we have just had 20 months of recovery why risk wasting it by January !

I appreciate what you're saying, but both Neilson and McIntyre are huge gambles too, as they are completely different types of manager from JR.

Is experience everything?

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

I'm looking at having some pipes fitted in my house.

There's a guy from Belfast, a teacher, fits pipes on the side: Tuesday and Thursday nights as well as Saturday afternoons. Heard he's quite good.

Who should I give the job to? Him or you?

As long as he doesn't start inviting you to imaginary dinner parties, I'd go with the guy from Belfast.:wink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

I’m not sure that I agree with folk who are of the opinion that, if you currently manage on a part time basis then it renders you incapable of taking on a full time managerial position. It didn’t adversely affect Jack Ross in his positions with part time outfits like Dumbarton and Alloa. 

To me it shows the man can work within budget constraints, yet still produce a good side competing with clubs with bigger and better resources.

You make some good points.  This appointment looks like it might all hinge on the interview.  Each of the candidates have things in their favour and some baggage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...