New Manager Latest Odds

Kearney would be an interesting appointment, but certainly a gamble.  We need someone to keep us in the Premiership, it's as simple as that.  Robbie Nielson would seem to be the best man for the job.  A little uninspiring, but should be a safe pair of hands.

That said, If I was GS I would be looking forward to hear what Kearney has to say at the interview....

Alongside Kearney's lack of full-time experience, there's also the potential issue of not being able to command respect in the dressing room.

"Just a teacher who's played part-time for a few teams in Northern Ireland....."

Sounds petty but it's said to have contributed to Ian Cathro's demise at Hearts and I believe Mark Spalding was in a similar boat with us.

Edited by Julian Banjos

1 hour ago, Julian Banjos said:

I'm looking at having some pipes fitted in my house.

There's a guy from Belfast, a teacher, fits pipes on the side: Tuesday and Thursday nights as well as Saturday afternoons. Heard he's quite good.

Who should I give the job to? Him or you?

Him. I'm no interested. 

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Given the gulf in budgets that season between Saints and the rest IMO he did reasonably well.

It was back in First Division the cracks started to show.

Aye when he was being undermined by someone who was a full time roofer before St Mirren made him Assistant Manager, and then Manager of the football club. That all worked out well. 

1 hour ago, class of 76-77 said:

I’m not sure that I agree with folk who are of the opinion that, if you currently manage on a part time basis then it renders you incapable of taking on a full time managerial position. It didn’t adversely affect Jack Ross in his positions with part time outfits like Dumbarton and Alloa. 

To me it shows the man can work within budget constraints, yet still produce a good side competing with clubs with bigger and better resources.

Jack Ross was a full time footballer, who was a full time youth coach at Hearts before he took part time jobs in football at Dumbarton and Alloa. When he finally stepped out of the cover of Stevie Aitken into the Alloa job he got them relegated without a whimper and they were only ever looked like winning a play off place in League Two when he took the opportunity to bolt to Paisley. 

Full time to part time in football often doesn't work well - and part time to full time has the same risks often without the financial benefits. 

Kearney might indeed be a wonderful manager, but if he is you've got to wonder why he hasn't managed to do better than third in the NIFL Premier League. 

Kearney took over from David Platt at Coleraine, where they'd finished 5th in the league. 

In his first season Kearney finished 7th

In his second season Kearney finished 6th

In his third season Kearney finished 9th

In his fourth season Kearney finished 5th

In his fifth season 3rd

And last season he finished 2nd. 

3 minutes ago, StuD said:

Aye when he was being undermined by someone who was a full time roofer before St Mirren made him Assistant Manager, and then Manager of the football club. That all worked out well. 

Sadly I never get invitations to the sort of dinner parties were booze and secrets are spilled simultaneously - hic!  :holiday

4 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Sadly I never get invitations to the sort of dinner parties were booze and secrets are spilled simultaneously - hic!  :holiday

Don't drink  but do eat at dinner parties... what is a secret once you have told one person? 

Edited by St.Ricky

2 hours ago, helpmaboab said:

PE teachers don't 'teach', they supervise kids doing physical activities.

What a joke.

Were you a PE teacher Drew, if not, what?

Professional yisless git? 

Just judging by yer posts here, Nae offence bawbag.

Would be lovely if all p.e teachers did was supervise kids playing footy. Deluded comment

McCoist deserves nothing. He sp*nked away a fortune to win the bottom tier league and continued to do so. Even in doing this he failed to get SECOND place in the Championship. NO, NO, Thrice, NO! I wouldn't wish the fate of having him as a manager on any club, (apart from Morton or DU).

It is pretty much at the point where it doesn't really matter what we think of each potential candidate.

They are all much of a muchness, and any one of them might do a good job, or might bomb. I imagine each has his own particular attributes, and his own areas of weakness.

Things clicked with Jack Ross and James Fowler. I don't reckon that happens all that often. To be honest, I'm not really expecting it to happen again any time soon. We now need to manage our expectations.

I'm generally relaxed about the manager's position. Whoever we bring in, I would hope he has enough about him to go up against the likes of Neil McCann, Martin Canning, Paul Hartley, and whoever the new Livingston manager is.

The first priority for next season is to consolidate our position. That's a realistic goal. Anything better would be a huge bonus. We should then be looking to build from there.

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

It is pretty much at the point where it doesn't really matter what we think of each potential candidate.

They are all much of a muchness, and any one of them might do a good job, or might bomb. I imagine each has his own particular attributes, and his own areas of weakness.

Things clicked with Jack Ross and James Fowler. I don't reckon that happens all that often. To be honest, I'm not really expecting it to happen again any time soon. We now need to manage our expectations.

I'm generally relaxed about the manager's position. Whoever we bring in, I would hope he has enough about him to go up against the likes of Neil McCann, Martin Canning, Paul Hartley, and whoever the new Livingston manager is.

The first priority for next season is to consolidate our position. That's a realistic goal. Anything better would be a huge bonus. We should then be looking to build from there.

Have I missed something? :blink:

11 minutes ago, Drew said:

Has Paul Hartley moved from Falkirk to a Premiership team? 

17 minutes ago, Drew said:

When Fergie left it was not a disaster Drew in fact we went on one of the best periods in the club' history. 

With interviews starting GS will know the type of manager he wants. It has to be someone he likes and someone who tells him how he can move the club forward. Jack said from day one he believed we would go up. He got a team playing for him and he was and is popular. I still think Neilson is the man and the closest to the blueprint we need. Still think Ross will play a part here with adding to budget. GS kept faith and i still believe the right appt will be made. We need to keep faith to. 

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

With interviews starting GS will know the type of manager he wants. It has to be someone he likes and someone who tells him how he can move the club forward. Jack said from day one he believed we would go up. He got a team playing for him and he was and is popular. I still think Neilson is the man and the closest to the blueprint we need. Still think Ross will play a part here with adding to budget. GS kept faith and i still believe the right appt will be made. We need to keep faith to. 

I share these views and would only add what IOBS has been saying about how well the club performed after Ferguson left.  The future is bright... The future is black and white.