New Manager Latest Odds

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You want us to hire McIntyre?

I can only hope that the club have the admin staff on double time as they struggle to cope with the surge in ticket sales if that happens. :lol:

Definitely have a point with McIntyre. 

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

Amazing how things have changed from 23rd May. 

No Nielsen.  No Goodwin.  No Pressley.  No Archiebald. 

Hopkins? 

Probably all ruled themselves out of the job as soon at Tony Fizpatrick told them the clubs expectations and the budget they'd have to operate under. It certainly put one of the favourites off the job. 

3 minutes ago, StuD said:

I agree. St Mirren should hire a female manager. That would be different

Actually I would have no problem with that in principle but there are no stand out candidates.

You are talking abput a sport dominated by dinosaurs. It will take years before women start getting gigs at SPFL clubs. We haven't even overcome the barriers for black male managers up here yet. We are the very definition of a third world sporting country.

3 minutes ago, StuD said:

Probably all ruled themselves out of the job as soon at Tony Fizpatrick told them the clubs expectations and the budget they'd have to operate under. It certainly put one of the favourites off the job. 

This could be a good thing.

It will take someone very special to pull this off.

11 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

So where do you think SMFC are going to go ?. Best I can ever see would be 4th. With a solid coach we could get 8th. Is it worth 4 places to appoint Guti and risk the lot.

I think we need to get real about where we currently are and the resources we have.

Where do I think St Mirren are going to go? Up to the top flight, where we will be in a brutal dogfight to avoid relegation. As I said, I am positive about St Mirren, positive that in a top flight containing Livvy, Accies, Dundee, Fakes and maybe one other, we can genuinely compete over the course of the season with them, and will be far from automatic relegation candidates.

After next season, who knows? There will, as always, be another exodus of players, another influx of new players, and so the merry-go-round continues. The only real certainties are that Celtic will once more win the league, Sevco will get closer to them, and Aberdeen will shite it every time they face either of them.

Post-Bosman, at a club with limited resources and finances, top 4, much less challenging for the title, is fantasy, absolute fcuking fantasy.  If McGinn leaves for Hibs, and McLean leaves for Aberdeen, and Ross leaves for Sunderland, someone, anyone, please tell me in all seriousness, how a club like ours can assemble, much less hold onto, a team capable of seriously taking on Sellik, Sevco, Aberdeen and let’s say Hibs, over an entire season.

It must be the heat, it’s affecting some people’s brains.

Edited by pozbaird

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Where do I think St Mirrn are going to go? Up to the top flight, where we will be in a brutal dogfight to avoid relegation. As I said, I am positive about St Mirren, positive that in a top flight containing Livvy, Accies, Dundee, Fakes and maybe one other, we can genuinely compete over the course of the season, and will be far from automatic relegation candidates.

After next season, who knows? There will, as always, be another exodus of players, another influx of new players, and somthe merry-go-round continues.

Post-Bosman, at a club with limited resources and finances, top 4, much less challenging for the title, is fantasy, absolute fcuking fantasy.  If McGinn leaves for Hibs, and McLean leaves for Aberdeen, and Ross leaves for Sunderland, someone, anyone, please tell me in all seriousness, how a club like ours can assemble, much less hold onto, a team capable of seriously taking on Sellik, Sevco, Aberdeen and let’s say Hibs, over an entire season.

It must be the heat, it’s affecting people’s brains.

Completely agree, so why appoint Guti and risk the lot. Why not appoint a solid proven coach and get 7th or 8th. That would be huge success.

1 minute ago, lenziebud said:

Completely agree, so why appoint Guti and risk the lot. Why not appoint a solid proven coach and get 7th or 8th. That would be huge success.

Ooooo aim for 8th before a ball is kicked. That's inspiring.

How will I be able to control my pulsing sphincter. I can barely contain my excitement.

3 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

McIntyre is not a solid proven coach. 

6 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Why couldn’t Guti achieve 7th or 8th? Why would a proven coach guarantee anything? 

7 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Wow. How exciting -_-

That sort of mentality is the problem with Scottish Football. We've got a 3 time champions league winner interested and people would rather we hired Jim McIntrye and finished 8th. 

29 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Actually I would have no problem with that in principle but there are no stand out candidates.

You are talking abput a sport dominated by dinosaurs. It will take years before women start getting gigs at SPFL clubs. We haven't even overcome the barriers for black male managers up here yet. We are the very definition of a third world sporting country.

How do you know there are no stand out candidates? 

There are plenty of successful female coaches. English woman Jill Ellis for example structured the development programme for girls in the US that led the US team to win the World Cup in 2015. Or Asako Takakura, Japanese Womans National Coach who has won major honours at every level of the international game. Or indeed Claire Robinson who has been a superb Technical Director and  head coach at Sunderland over recent years. Or how about Scotland's own Julie Stewart - capped 121 times for her country, scoring 116 goals and very highly commended by all of her coaches as being extremely knowledgeable tactically. She also comes from a footballing background, with her father Jim Fleeting well known to most in the game. 

One French club in Ligue 2 has hired 2 female bosses in recent years - Claremont Foot. The first chucked it after one month citing a complete lack of professionalism at the club. The second one stayed for three years before becoming French National Coach. During that time Claremont held their own mid table. 

Certainly if you were to take the view that the male pool has been well fished, why not try the female managerial pool. There is bound to be some exceptional managers in there. 

Edited by StuD

29 minutes ago, StuD said:

Is John Kennedy alright with Tony's expectations?

5 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

Northern Irish media, following Kearney, have a final 4 of:

McIntyre, Kearney, Stubbs and Caldwell.

Probably the most feasible of all the stories floating about....

From those 4 (difficult one), probably Stubbs for me. Hopefully it's a leftfield choice. 

Guti is coming to Scotland to do his coaching badges - when Mourinho arrived at Madrid in 2010, he off-loaded Guti and Raul among others, and told Guti his time was up, and to go and do his coaching badges. Guti went to Besiktas to carry on playing, and when Mourinho left Madrid in 2013,  Guti came back to Madrid to coach in the youth set-up. He has now decided to come to Inverclyde as Jose did, and will fill in his time here as our Manager for the coming season, bringing a mixture of youths, C Team and B Team players over to sample the thrill of playing against the 2 biggest clubs in the world! He's only taking pocket money as payment, and our sponsors Skyview are meeting that cost, as he will massively increase their advertising exposure in the up-coming season.

And by the way, there is an application in at Planning in Madrid for a 60,000 reclining seater stadium between Albion Street and Shortroods in Paisley! 

My neighbour was in Spain on holiday yesterday, and he told me, so it's definitely true.