Disappointed in it all

Why the board or jack. What would any of us do? £60, 000 a year against £250,000a year. I don't know what Jack gets paid but a manager in England must start on at least above. I know what I would do. Only thing I will say is get going jack if you are this is important time for club

Edited by fan4ever

I don't know what wages Sunderland are offering Jack but it will dwarf what he's on now. If next season went tits up with us he might not get that opportunity again. There isn't one football manager out there who'd reject this move if the new owners are talking a good game. It's one hell of an opportunity.

Jack is still our manager.

He can’t be fully focused on St Mirren & having interviews every other week, that’s hardly committed.

However, most of what’s been said is speculation.

Ross may well still be our manager next season ( in a minority of one obviously as I say that )

Frustrating & inconvenient it definitely is.

6 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

Rickys Mrs ?

Boring.  Boring.  Boring.  You.  Not me.  Change the record and consider stopping negative posting on people's threads.  On the other hand.. Feel free to agree  or disagree,  out forward arguments.  Meanelwhile back toLouises's topic. Who could argue with the level of wages paid to players and managers down there.  Massive and outside all but maybe 4 or 5 jobs up here. 

Edited by St.Ricky

The deal he agreed is 350,000 per year.

It's poor Sunderland didn't approach the club first and Jack and his agent were negotiating behind Gordon Scott's back.  However, it doesn't really change the final outcome and Jack leaves us in a much better state than when he found us.

3 minutes ago, Kemp said:

It's poor Sunderland didn't approach the club first and Jack and his agent were negotiating behind Gordon Scott's back.  However, it doesn't really change the final outcome and Jack leaves us in a much better state than when he found us.

That's pretty much the size of it.

It’s not known for sure that it happened that way. Obviously, ‘if’ it did, then of course, most would agree with that.

I have nothing but respect for Jack, and our club and board but this is becoming a bit tedious, I understand a lot of clubs are impressed with what he has done for us and he is evaluating all possibilities to expand his experience, and no doubt, to do the best for his family which I also totally respect- but I also feel that if he does not take the opportunities offered so far, he should commit to St Mirren for the season ahead, then if he still feels the desire to move on, then look into it.  Regardless of what he decides, I wish him all the best- and also urge the board to make preparations to recruit, should we need to.  Just my own opinion.

4 minutes ago, Deekthebuddie said:

I have nothing but respect for Jack, and our club and board but this is becoming a bit tedious, I understand a lot of clubs are impressed with what he has done for us and he is evaluating all possibilities to expand his experience, and no doubt, to do the best for his family which I also totally respect- but I also feel that if he does not take the opportunities offered so far, he should commit to St Mirren for the season ahead, then if he still feels the desire to move on, then look into it.  Regardless of what he decides, I wish him all the best- and also urge the board to make preparations to recruit, should we need to.  Just my own opinion.

He's taken the Sunderland job, do keep up!

While I don’t agrue the fact money is a big factor and all of us in a normal job would jump at that wage rise, I just feel disappointed in jack a wee bit with the big speech of that he’s wanting to build of things with us and take us to the next level, I guess I feel a little let down if he goes.

1 minute ago, Louise79 said:

While I don’t agrue the fact money is a big factor and all of us in a normal job would jump at that wage rise, I just feel disappointed in jack a wee bit with the big speech of that he’s wanting to build of things with us and take us to the next level, I guess I feel a little let down if he goes.

What should he have said?

Of course he was talking about progressing with the club. If other clubs hadn't come sniffing about, I'm sure that's exactly what he'd have done.

We just need to accept it for what it is and move on.

2 minutes ago, Louise79 said:

Louise.  No matter how pragmatic I might be,  and I am,  it's difficult not to share your feelings.  I don't necessarily think too badly of him for it though.  He is a professional with professional pride and I feel sure that he meant what he said at the time.  But... Being a professional in this case is a double edged sword as he will move on without skipping a beat. 

Great post. Agree with all of this (assuming the sneaky negotiating actually happened, which looks like it did)

11 minutes ago, Louise79 said:

I guess when the season finished I was proper excited about the new season ahead and what might be, feel disillusioned I guess

I reckon we all do.

Back to earth with an almighty clatter.

Is it just me or is this all getting a little disappointing now, jack has took us back to the promised land and he chooses to bolt on us. The board have got a lot of explaining to do I feel.
I'm really disappointed that Jack appears to have gone behind the club's back when he's beat the drum so often about the importance of trust.

Especially as we don't appear to have been standing in his way previously.

I'm thankful for the last 18 months and hope his career pans out the way he wants it to but I do feel he is leaving under a bit of a darkened cloud.

1 hour ago, Louise79 said:

Is it just me or is this all getting a little disappointing now, jack has took us back to the promised land and he chooses to bolt on us. The board have got a lot of explaining to do I feel.

Surely the worst offender in this saga has been the Ipswich Town chairman. He has interviewed JR (twice perhaps ?) but then left him dangling while Shrewsbury Town's manager is still involved in the promotion play-offs. That bloody time-wasting window shopper has unsettled everyone involved with our club.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Surely the worst offender in this saga has been the Ipswich Town chairman. He has interviewed JR (twice perhaps ?) but then left him dangling while Shrewsbury Town's manager is still involved in the promotion play-offs. That bloody time-wasting window shopper has unsettled everyone involved with our club.

Hello again to all you Buddies.

Our forum has been up and down like a whore's draws all afternoon with this. Most believe, indeed, Marcus has waited far too long to offer JR the job. After Hurst, we have no one of any real stature lined up. The JR link seemed to inspire and excite our fans. Hurst will seem like the ugly sister option, though many would still value him being at our club. 

Evans is a businessman and expects top candidates to wait three, four, five, god-knows-how-many weeks before being offered a position. We were always going to conduct a thorough and proper search for our next manager, which is welcome, but it seems Evans wants the chance to interview everyone before deciding. This is football, not a Ltd company. 

Imagine being JR and being told to wait and see if the other candidate will hold talks. I'd be half tempted to stay put. 

We completely agree that this heel-dragging hasn't been good for anyone. We just want things to be sorted quickly so we can crack on for the new season, which is exactly what you want considering your situation.

I still protest that Ipswich would be a better option for Jack given the stable platform and patience we can provide, as well as being a league above Sunderland, while also having a considered, if not sometimes flawed, owner who doesn't go on talk radio and seemingly can't keep his trap shut. 

What Sunderland would look like under new ownership is anybody's guess. But geographically it could definitely suit. 

Who knows where now. Let's just hope it's sorted soon for everyone's benefit.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

If it was newco that acted like Sunderland and Ross. would the fans have been less forgiven ?  There was a right way and a wrong way of doing this and sadly by doing it the wrong way, I feel he had shown disrespect to the supporters and the club  :thumbsdown

21 minutes ago, renfrew said:

If it was newco that acted like Sunderland and Ross. would the fans have been less forgiven ?  There was a right way and a wrong way of doing this and sadly by doing it the wrong way, I feel he had shown disrespect to the supporters and the club  :thumbsdown

Disappointed in a sensible chap like you coming away with this pish. None of us know anything and to be fair we’ll probably never know the full facts. Jesus Christ he’s not even officially away yet.

Does JR not at the very least deserve the benefit of the doubt??

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

26 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Disappointed in a sensible chap like you coming away with this pish. None of us know anything and to be fair we’ll probably never know the full facts. Jesus Christ he’s not even officially away yet.

Does JR not at the very least deserve the benefit of the doubt??

Well Stewart Donald was pretty open in the podcast. He said he hadn't spoken to anyone yet, but that he has seen who had applied for the job. He was talking about Coleman and said that Coleman would be considered for the job but - and I'm paraphrasing now - only if nothing came of the two or three others that had got in front of him. This would suggest to me that Ross applied for the job rather than being chased or hunted and the chronology would suggest Chris Wilder, as was widely reported, was most likely his first choice. The news about Ross only broke after Wilder did actually sign his new contract at Sheffield United. 

I can't blame Ross for applying for jobs and for trying to get out whilst his stake in football is at it's highest. A year struggling to keep St Mirren up wasn't likely to boost his CV and we all know that St Mirren managers who stay too long after winning a trophy or gaining promotion are soon out of favour with the fickle St Mirren support. 

It goes without saying that as a Sunderland supporter I too am disappointed in the appointment. He's not the kind of person who can restructure a club, never mind a club of that size, and I can only hope that Donald and Methven have plans for a good Director of Football to help Ross out. 

If there's a lesson in this for St Mirren fans, it's time to stop believing all the PR pish you read on the various outlets regarding the club. The badge kissing nonsense and the wanting to build a legacy pish were never real.