Disappointed in it all

Disappointed? FFS give me a break. :lol:

Had you offered any St. Mirren fan this exact chain of events 20 months ago when Jack Ross took over with us in free fall, every single one of us would have said 2 things:

1) Sign me up! 

2)If the guy achieves that, he deserves the move to a bigger club. 

Let's get off the high horse here FFS. Not a single one of us would do any differently with the opportunity on offer. 

As for things sounding hollow, sorry but that's bollocks. Jack Ross always said he was happy but ambitious. It doesn't take the deduction skills of Sherlock Holmes to understand what that meant. 

Despite what Walter Mitty says in the post above me, the 'legacy pish' is real. He leaves us in a better place on the park but more importantly, Jack Ross's legacy will be that he built a team that made supporters want to gather together, make noise, generate atmosphere and actually make our home ground actually feel like home for the first time since the move. That is something that will carry on with or without Jack Ross. 

6 hours ago, StuD said:

Well Stewart Donald was pretty open in the podcast. He said he hadn't spoken to anyone yet, but that he has seen who had applied for the job. He was talking about Coleman and said that Coleman would be considered for the job but - and I'm paraphrasing now - only if nothing came of the two or three others that had got in front of him. This would suggest to me that Ross applied for the job rather than being chased or hunted and the chronology would suggest Chris Wilder, as was widely reported, was most likely his first choice. The news about Ross only broke after Wilder did actually sign his new contract at Sheffield United. 

I can't blame Ross for applying for jobs and for trying to get out whilst his stake in football is at it's highest. A year struggling to keep St Mirren up wasn't likely to boost his CV and we all know that St Mirren managers who stay too long after winning a trophy or gaining promotion are soon out of favour with the fickle St Mirren support. 

It goes without saying that as a Sunderland supporter I too am disappointed in the appointment. He's not the kind of person who can restructure a club, never mind a club of that size, and I can only hope that Donald and Methven have plans for a good Director of Football to help Ross out. 

If there's a lesson in this for St Mirren fans, it's time to stop believing all the PR pish you read on the various outlets regarding the club. The badge kissing nonsense and the wanting to build a legacy pish were never real. 

Well if you’re a Sunderland fan, I hope for your sake that your disappointment is a good sign. Look what happened when you got it spectacularly wrong when you were disappointed by him getting the St. Mirren job. 

My opinion at the season's end was that we'd probably be able to keep JR until the first round of managerial casualties in the Autumn.

Disappointed he's going at such a critical stage in the cycle (unlike some I think outside the transfer window would've been better) but carpe diem & all that.

As to the manner of his departure, I think it's naïve to assume there's nothing going on in the background in these situations - I certainly hope & expect that GLS has a good idea of our next manager's identity already.

Thanx to the 2Js - time to move on...………………………. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

11 hours ago, Louise79 said:

I guess when the season finished I was proper excited about the new season ahead and what might be, feel disillusioned I guess

Agreed. I was really excited about what Jack could've achieved this season coming but it makes sense for him to move (if he does) while his stock is high.  A duff season with us at a higher level – albeit in the Scottish Premiership – would set him back a bit. 

Maybe we'll need to settle for Europa League rather than Champions League qualification if Jack goes.

ONWARDS!

11 hours ago, Louise79 said:

I guess when the season finished I was proper excited about the new season ahead and what might be, feel disillusioned I guess

Agreed. I was really excited about what Jack could've achieved this season coming but it makes sense for him to move (if he does) while his stock is high.  A duff season with us at a higher level – albeit in the Scottish Premiership – would set him back a bit. 

Maybe we'll need to settle for Europa League rather than Champions League qualification if Jack goes.

ONWARDS!

Like others, I'm disappointed to lose our manager, but it was always likely to happen, as JR needed to get himself a better deal while his stock is really high. Thought we might have got through the summer without losing him, but as things have turned out, it's probably best that he has gone now. The new manager will have time to make some signings of his own for the new season.

On the (slightly) bright side, who knows whether Jack would have been as good at firefighting in the Premiership as he was at running away with the Championship. If he'd stayed, maybe we'd all have been calling for his head by October.

9 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Disappointed in a sensible chap like you coming away with this pish. None of us know anything and to be fair we’ll probably never know the full facts. Jesus Christ he’s not even officially away yet.

Does JR not at the very least deserve the benefit of the doubt??

Did the chairman of our club not say Sunderland had not ask for permission to talk to Ross after Sunderland said it is a done deal ?  I have no problem with him leaving if everything was done in the right manner.

This is not just about wages!! Its about ambition. Jack did say the opportunity had to be right and my god this is a massive one.

Sunderland can attract 40000 every week, 8000 can travel. They have a clean slate, and an obvious plan.

Jacks CV although, at far lower level, is almost a perfect blueprint to where they are- its a no brainer and I really hope Jack continues to shine, and one days leads our national team.

Of course I am disappointed, but he has hardly left us in the lurch- Its May!!

3 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

My opinion at the season's end was that we'd probably be able to keep JR until the first round of managerial casualties in the Autumn.

Disappointed he's going at such a critical stage in the cycle (unlike some I think outside the transfer window would've been better) but carpe diem & all that.

As to the manner of is departure, I think it's naïve to assume there's nothing going on in the background in these situations - I certainly hope & expect that GLS has a good idea of our next manager's identity already.

Thanx to the 2Js - time to move on...………………………. 

I think a new manager will in sooner rather than later. The board have known for a long time this was a strong possibility, so I would expect them to have sounded out candidates over the past few months - probably without getting permission from their clubs where applicable. The cads...:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

I think a new manager will in sooner rather than later. The board have known for a long time this was a strong possibility, so I would expect them to have sounded out candidates over the past few months - probably without getting permission from their clubs where applicable. The cads...:rolleyes:

Skulduggery - surely not!

1 hour ago, helpmaboab said:

If I was JR I'd be pissing myself laughing at all these comments and opinions by a miriad of empty minds.

"they are more to be pitied than scolded"

JR wont be giving a rat's arse what the plebes think.

Too busy flicking through the luxury car magazines.

helpmaboab / oor willie.  You a disgruntled Arab.    

Would have loved him to stay longer but was always prepared for this.

Everything I witnessed in Fergie I have just relived... From reviving a dead team, via galvanising the fans and players, to winning promotion to the top division.

The one big difference is Fergie had two bad years before the 18 glorious months that left their mark on me for life.

Jack had five months of fan rebellion whilst he worked behind the scenes and then it all clicked.

In both cases, patience was needed.

Same at Man Utd where Fergie was one game from the sack.

I despair at the modern demand for instant success. I think we inadvertently lose out on so much more!

We binned Gus because he was merely keeping us in the top league.

We binned Danny because he had "taken us as far as he could" and the board wanted someone else to "take us in a new direction"!

Success!

Goodbye Premier League... Hello Championship!

Jack has earned his chance at s bigger club in a bigger league earning a bigger wage... ...

but will he be given time and support?

Just as importantly, will we, the fans, learn from this and show patience and support for whoever is appointed.

After all... Jim Clunie didn't do too badly!

Got us into Europe.

After we binned him and appointed our physio as manager, radical indeed, Ricky actually did incredibly well for us.

Be open minded folks.

As the wise old prophetess Doris once said, Que Sera Sera!

Is it just me or is this all getting a little disappointing now, jack has took us back to the promised land and he chooses to bolt on us. The board have got a lot of explaining to do I feel.
he never bolted as you put it. he got a great offer to manage a club 10 times or more the size of ours. We're not Barcelona ffs. Get real. Good Luck Jack. And Massive thanks.

42 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Would have loved him to stay longer but was always prepared for this.

Everything I witnessed in Fergie I have just relived... From reviving a dead team, via galvanising the fans and players, to winning promotion to the top division.

The one big difference is Fergie had two bad years before the 18 glorious months that left their mark on me for life.

Jack had five months of fan rebellion whilst he worked behind the scenes and then it all clicked.

In both cases, patience was needed.

Same at Man Utd where Fergie was one game from the sack.

I despair at the modern demand for instant success. I think we inadvertently lose out on so much more!

We binned Gus because he was merely keeping us in the top league.

We binned Danny because he had "taken us as far as he could" and the board wanted someone else to "take us in a new direction"!

Success!

Goodbye Premier League... Hello Championship!

Jack has earned his chance at s bigger club in a bigger league earning a bigger wage... ...

but will he be given time and support?

Just as importantly, will we, the fans, learn from this and show patience and support for whoever is appointed.

After all... Jim Clunie didn't do too badly!

Got us into Europe.

After we binned him and appointed our physio as manager, radical indeed, Ricky actually did incredibly well for us.

Be open minded folks.

As the wise old prophetess Doris once said, Que Sera Sera!

This says it all for me.