Jack Ross - SMTID?

27 minutes ago, Hambud said:
1 hour ago, Drew said:
Abusive posts?
You just made that up, didn't you?
Was it this one....

Screenshot_20180527-102220.thumb.png.b0e2e2f0667cf63d67d582bc5ee9bc6e.png

It will be the one that he is banging on about in the GORDON AND FITZ thread.

Ah, cheers for that. I hadn't stumbled across that exchange.

I note that Oaksoft hasn't replied to my post above - clearly doesn't fit with his petty agenda.

7 hours ago, John Gotti said:
10 hours ago, jaybee said:

You may speak for yourself and perhaps even myself, but you have no right to tar everyone with your grubby brush; because I am  sure there are many people whose integrity means more to them than pennies in their pocket

I have no idea what age you are but if you have a wife and kids then I find this comment astonishing. 

I love my club but while I also love my employer IF I ever get offered a 500% pay rise then my family come first. This has nothing to do with integrity it simply comes down to economics. 

Honestly Bud just think how this changes Jacks life. He can pay off his house, set up his kids and give himself a chance to become a real name in England and maybe even set for life.

Irrespective of whatever age I am; I would be assuming that you are old enough to comprehend the English language and if this is the case you may well notice that I did not include myself within those whose integrity surpasses their desire for money;  ergo my family is as irrelevant as the entire first line of your post.  As for line two; well I have been a supporter since the 1950's which perchance might give you and indication of my age and here; I am making a rather profound assumption in that since you can read you might well be able to count as well; so line two is dead as well.  Having said that; you do have an extremely valid point regarding economics wife and family, but again I excluded myself from those with integrity.  And just to be absolutely fair to you, I agree entirely with line three, it is an absolutely no brainier given his particular circumstances, BUT don't you just wish that his circumstances were such that '  integrity meant more to him than pennies in his pocket'  we can but dream!   

3 hours ago, Sonny said:
10 hours ago, jaybee said:

You may speak for yourself and perhaps even myself, but you have no right to tar everyone with your grubby brush; because I am  sure there are many people whose integrity means more to them than pennies in their pocket

If you had read all the threads relating to Jack's approach from all the various teams that wanted him (Dundee, Barnsley, Ipswich) you will note that I have consistently stated that money is not everything in life (unless you are a taxi driver :) ). It never has been for me and never will be.

However the hypocrisy stinks when supporters slag off Jack for leaving when not one that I have read believes that Jack should have rejected a 5 times increase in salary for the good of his family or that they themselves would have rejected a five fold increase (and a great opportunity) - like you also admitted. So when I refer to 'everybody' I am referring to 'everybody' that has commented on on this forum and have not found one person who would have knocked the situation back but some that slag off Jack for accepting it. So stick your grubby brush.

Actually my friend it was YOUR grubby brush ......... and just as a matter of interest I thought your post was valid and reasoned and had absolutely no need for the sarcastic comment at the end, spoiled it I'm afraid for me

5 hours ago, jaybee said:

Irrespective of whatever age I am; I would be assuming that you are old enough to comprehend the English language and if this is the case you may well notice that I did not include myself within those whose integrity surpasses their desire for money;  ergo my family is as irrelevant as the entire first line of your post.  As for line two; well I have been a supporter since the 1950's which perchance might give you and indication of my age and here; I am making a rather profound assumption in that since you can read you might well be able to count as well; so line two is dead as well.  Having said that; you do have an extremely valid point regarding economics wife and family, but again I excluded myself from those with integrity.  And just to be absolutely fair to you, I agree entirely with line three, it is an absolutely no brainier given his particular circumstances, BUT don't you just wish that his circumstances were such that '  integrity meant more to him than pennies in his pocket'  we can but dream!   

Just to be clear, you do know the definition of the word integrity as I think you have confused it with piety? :P

12 hours ago, helpmaboab said:

Funny thing is if JR left, took the whole team, and we replaced our team by signing the whole Morton team and made Duffy manager, they WOULD be St Mirren and we would all support them simply because they are St Mirren. You see, the individuals are irrelevant, it's the CLUB that matters. Any personnel at any given time are simply the current caretakers. See how absurd the whole thing is? Sorta illustrates the futility of the parochialism that supporters worship. A means of controlling the populous. Hate breeds hate.

Please send all donations to the CHURCH OF HELPMABOAB of the latter day saints.

c/- SMFC

Your English/ written words have come on leaps and bounds :P. Also agree with you

This has been a reality check for us all. I bet Derek Mcinnes would have taken this gig and Dons with him. We simply cant compete at this level. We need another developer. Cheque on its way . Good reality post bud

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:45 PM, pondsman said:

I appreciate that this may be considered trivial as JR has now gone, but I've just read his statement on the club's official website. While I'm happy with and appreciate everything Jack says, I find it difficult to accept his signing off with the letters SMTID.  Despite everything he did for the club, he was a club employee, not a supporter, someone we all knew would move on to pastures new eventually. I really think that only supporters have the right to these five letters.  Did he write AATID when he left Alloa to come to us?

Others may consider this trivial, but does it give us an insight to the man? I honestly wish him all the best at Sunderland, but is it not rather patronising of him to appropriate letters which rightly belong only to us?

Comments, including from those who think I'm overreacting, welcome.

Probably a bit patronising , but frankly, each to their own. Imo hindsight  makes him look silly with his roving mic broadcasts and his expression of pride , appreciation and love of us, totally disingenuous. However if no offer came along , if no interest was shown in him he'd be plying his trade away with us, no doubt at full commitment.  St Mirren fans pre new season excitement and optimism would be sound . The fact is success comes at a price, for St Mirren its us having to rebuild and go again.

Anyway, let him sign McGinn for £3m  he could sign off with any abbreviation he wishes.

He's history

I know Jack's SMTID sign off on his dear John letter got a lot of folks backs up, and felt his speeches were insincere because he jumped ship for the makers,  but the fact is he is gone and no amount of moaning, analysing what he has said will change it.  I'm not happy he has left BUT I also understand he has a family and if someone was offering any of us substantially more in term of salary alone (not taking into account a budget for players) it would be insane to not consider going for it-Good luck to him and he leaves with my thanks for dragging us from the brink of relegation to league 1 back into the premiership.  Now moving on, managers and players will come and go but St.Mirren will still be here and we need to get behind the team and manager, whoever that may be  as things will be tough in the premiership, but if we show the same character and spirit as last season, I'm confident we can do well. Rant over.

Unfortunate thread, but no excuse for the comments from the JR Glee Club.  i think every fan has the right to feel somewhat agrieved at the manner of his departure.  I certainly was but am over it pretty quickly.  He is just anpother name that used to be at the buds, nothing more or less.  You are allowed to be gratefull for the good things and still be pissed off by the bad.

Having met him  at a game last year i was less than convinced that he was, or ever would be SMTID.  he did a very good job, though and  would have been daft not to cash in now.  i would have done as well, however I am SMTID and would have kept the board abreast of interest from day one and would also have told any prospective employers to do the right thing, even if they were not legally bound to do so.  He did well for us,  we did well for him and my upset arises from the fact he didn't take an upfront opportunity to wedge the club in as a a gesture of thanks.  I don't wish him ill, but really, it's now a case of Jack Who?

He has a challenge, padding his new squad out with gambles and has-beens won't be an option at Sunderland.  He will need to make every penny count as his new chairman's words on budget for next year don't really commit him to anything.  These leagues are won by the best performers from the 4 or 5 biggest spenders so a promise that his budget will exceed that of some championship clubs is really not worth a lot.

2 minutes ago, Deekthebuddie said:

I know Jack's SMTID sign off on his dear John letter got a lot of folks backs up, and felt his speeches were insincere because he jumped ship for the makers,  but the fact is he is gone and no amount of moaning, analysing what he has said will change it.  I'm not happy he has left BUT I also understand he has a family and if someone was offering any of us substantially more in term of salary alone (not taking into account a budget for players) it would be insane to not consider going for it-Good luck to him and he leaves with my thanks for dragging us from the brink of relegation to league 1 back into the premiership.  Now moving on, managers and players will come and go but St.Mirren will still be here and we need to get behind the team and manager, whoever that may be  as things will be tough in the premiership, but if we show the same character and spirit as last season, I'm confident we can do well. Rant over.

No rant there Deek. Sensible post.

4 minutes ago, Deekthebuddie said:

Sorry, auto correct changed Makems to Makers. Damn auto correct!

1 minute ago, beyond our ken said:

Unfortunate thread, but no excuse for the comments from the JR Glee Club.  i think every fan has the right to feel somewhat agrieved at the manner of his departure.  I certainly was but am over it pretty quickly.  He is just anpother name that used to be at the buds, nothing more or less.  You are allowed to be gratefull for the good things and still be pissed off by the bad.

Having met him  at a game last year i was less than convinced that he was, or ever would be SMTID.  he did a very good job, though and  would have been daft not to cash in now.  i would have done as well, however I am SMTID and would have kept the board abreast of interest from day one and would also have told any prospective employers to do the right thing, even if they were not legally bound to do so.  He did well for us,  we did well for him and my upset arises from the fact he didn't take an upfront opportunity to wedge the club in as a a gesture of thanks.  I don't wish him ill, but really, it's now a case of Jack Who?

He has a challenge, padding his new squad out with gambles and has-beens won't be an option at Sunderland.  He will need to make every penny count as his new chairman's words on budget for next year don't really commit him to anything.  These leagues are won by the best performers from the 4 or 5 biggest spenders so a promise that his budget will exceed that of some championship clubs is really not worth a lot.

Just a thought. GLS and Tony confirmed that they had no approach from Sunderland. At no time have either said that Jack (then a St Mirren emplo yee) didn't let them know what he was doing. The reason compensation was increased was because Sunderland (not Jack Ross) didn't follow established protocol. Smart thinking by our board. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Just a thought. GLS and Tony confirmed that they had no approach from Sunderland. At no time have either said that Jack (then a St Mirren emplo yee) didn't let them know what he was doing. The reason compensation was increased was because Sunderland (not Jack Ross) didn't follow established protocol. Smart thinking by our board. 

Och really, the compensation figure will never be known.  The board can spin that one any way they see fit in order to save face over a covert operation on the part of Agent Ross.  

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Difficult to follow all the twists and turns in the saga but wouldn't the increase in compensation be due to Fowler leaving as well?

Edited by Bud the Baker

11 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Difficult to follow all the twists and turns in the saga but wouldn't the increase in compensation be due to Fowler leaving as well?

The way I saw it was that the figure reported in the media was a good bit lower than the actual amount that would be due. I'd imagine the amount for Fowler would be a more modest figure, which would have swelled the final amount some more.

On 5/26/2018 at 6:54 PM, SaintGlenburn said:

The SMTID is his way of saying just that. He loves the club, the fans and everything related to the club and always will.

This move is for his family and that comes first. He shouldnt need to explain himself to anyone. Common sense was all that was needed to accept this offer.

He goes with my best wishes and eternal gratitude for the job he has done pull the team and the fans together. Not to mention get us back to where we belong.

As much as i love St.Mirren if i was in the same position id have taken the job.

Id still be SMTID. just like Jack.

I find it amusing that people expressing their thoughts and feelings are portrayed as being jealous or expecting JR to explain himself to them.

It's just how they feel.

I find it amusing that people expressing their thoughts and feelings are portrayed as being jealous or expecting JR to explain himself to them.  

It's just how they feel.

Read post number one. OP asked if SMTID was rather patronising. I answered the question with my view. 

ETA - I agree people are entitled to thier own view. No matter how idiotic it is.

1 hour ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Read post number one. OP asked if SMTID was rather patronising. I answered the question with my view. 

ETA - I agree people are entitled to thier own view. No matter how idiotic it is.

Don't do yourself down.

3 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Och really, the compensation figure will never be known.  The board can spin that one any way they see fit in order to save face over a covert operation on the part of Agent Ross.  

Seeing as you know both JR and the Sunderland Chairman BoK, perhaps you could tell us all exactly what happened. I wasn't aware that it had been made public.

Or alternatively, maybe you're just a wee wean who's had his sweeties stolen by a bigger boy.

I assume it is Jack saying he would consider himself a St Mirren fan now.

A but much is being made of Sunderland tapping him up.  As I've said elsewhere it is a bit of a shame that they didn't go about things properly, but it doesn't change the final outcome at all.  If he can make the 1m bid for Jordan Kirkpatrick instead of Kyle Magennis then all will be forgiven...

3 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

That also helped Bud but the main increase was to prevent a tapping complaint.  Just business in the football world.