Why Have We Stood Still?

Lord Pityme

It seems that the on the field success this season gone is helping screen the club board (& Smisa for that matter) from critical analysis of performance in off field activities.

its two years since the new board & Smisa took over the majority shareholding, and in that time can you identify what they have actually achieved in driving up, or realising new revenue streams off the pitch?

one of the first suggestions i put to the Smisa committee (endorsed by a body who were keen to give smisa a grant to help make it happen) was to have at the ground a Smisa cafe, or even start with a mobile snack van. It would see Smisa and the club creating jobs and training opportunities in the community, and provide a new revenue stream.  Also at the same time ir was discussed re-launching the Community Trust at the club that really only existed in name. Two years and tens of thousands of members pounds later... nada, zilch, nowt!

these were easy, quick wins that could have seen smisa members funds invested for a return, instead all the club are interested in is getting their hands on smisa cash to pay the next bill, wheres the forward thinking, the big picture, the development plan???

we now see potential new manager candidates openly questioning the boards plans, ambition and funding for the club. Its bordering on criminal neglicence to see the only way of getting more money in is to turf families out of seats to accomadate sectarian chanting hordes. Wheres the vision? 

Then again Scott did say several times "I'm jist a joiner" so perhaps its expecting too much to see progression in the areas. And the board are responsible for i.e. Off the pitch.

7 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

Christ, while I do see some of your incessant points it seems you can't wait to spread any negative spin you can think of.  ..........

Most supporters will be uncertain at this moment due to the manager,  quite rightly, moving on but we are in a reasonable place right now. 

Sit back and go with the flow........it's all your fault the fecking Sin Bin is in operation, you owe me an apology. :P

You urnae in the Bin ye spangle. 

Log oot then log in with summat else and you will. 

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

It seems that the on the field success this season gone is helping screen the club board (& Smisa for that matter) from critical analysis of performance in off field activities.

its two years since the new board & Smisa took over the majority shareholding, and in that time can you identify what they have actually achieved in driving up, or realising new revenue streams off the pitch?

one of the first suggestions i put to the Smisa committee (endorsed by a body who were keen to give smisa a grant to help make it happen) was to have at the ground a Smisa cafe, or even start with a mobile snack van. It would see Smisa and the club creating jobs and training opportunities in the community, and provide a new revenue stream.  Also at the same time ir was discussed re-launching the Community Trust at the club that really only existed in name. Two years and tens of thousands of members pounds later... nada, zilch, nowt!

these were easy, quick wins that could have seen smisa members funds invested for a return, instead all the club are interested in is getting their hands on smisa cash to pay the next bill, wheres the forward thinking, the big picture, the development plan???

we now see potential new manager candidates openly questioning the boards plans, ambition and funding for the club. Its bordering on criminal neglicence to see the only way of getting more money in is to turf families out of seats to accomadate sectarian chanting hordes. Wheres the vision? 

Then again Scott did say several times "I'm jist a joiner" so perhaps its expecting too much to see progression in the areas. And the board are responsible for i.e. Off the pitch.

You know; every now and then some of what you say whilst not everyone is going to like or agree with it, does come across as valid; then you forget your pills and spout a load of tosh, in my opinion of course:D

1 minute ago, jaybee said:

You know; every now and then some of what you say whilst not everyone is going to like or agree with it, does come across as valid; then you forget your pills and spout a load of tosh, in my opinion of course:D

Ok, so do you believe the club have moved on off the pitch in two years, generating new revenue streams?

mind you theres got ti be at least fifty subscribers to buddievision, hell it might even be halfway to covering associate costs?

Totally agree LPM. I can't for the life of me see why this couldn't have been done with or without a grant. All that needed to be done was for the 1877 club to be opened up during the week, SMISA to buy coffee machines, mugs and supplies, and to cover staff wage costs if the venture fails to turn a profit over a period of three months. The club gets rent, the 1877 club gets a new coffee machine, and SMISA would have seed funded a new revenue stream into the club, whilst potentially turning a profit on their discretionary fund money. If the venture fails the worst that would happen is perhaps 6 months of discretionary fund money would be wasted and SMISA can close the operation down, if its a success than SMISA could either formalise their business arrangement to rent the clubs facilities, or could hand over the business to the football club for them to run. 

5 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

LPM. None of us agree with others all of the time.  No  surprise then that I can agree with part of what you write but not all.  On another thread I asked what do fans expect of the board.  This also discussed the need for the Board and SMISA and how  they might work together more closely.  Credit to the board and SMISA for what they have done but that doesn't mean there aren't further improvements that can be made..  Stuart D  came up with3  priorities which,  if I recall them correctly,  related to how the community role could  or should be expandd. Examples were given of the Falkirk Trust and Falkirk Football Club.  A 7 day a week cafe,  restaurant is  operated there.  My initial recommendations were covered in a thread titled The New  Era.  To make progress in both the club and SMISA there should be an investment in people resources and training to support these.  An example I gave was Falkirk where the Trust CEO is now also the Club CEO.  One of their staff,  a trained coach and ex footballer is currently undertaking a part time MBA with support from the trust.  We have made a good start but, I would suggest that this is the time to create a joint vision,  strategy and put resources in place. 

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

LPM. None of us agree with others all of the time.  No  surprise then that I can agree with part of what you write but not all.  On another thread I asked what do fans expect of the board.  This also discussed the need for the Board and SMISA and how  they might work together more closely.  Credit to the board and SMISA for what they have done but that doesn't mean there aren't further improvements that can be made..  Stuart D  came up with3  priorities which,  if I recall them correctly,  related to how the community role could  or should be expandd. Examples were given of the Falkirk Trust and Falkirk Football Club.  A 7 day a week cafe,  restaurant is  operated there.  My initial recommendations were covered in a thread titled The New  Era.  To make progress in both the club and SMISA there should be an investment in people resources and training to support these.  An example I gave was Falkirk where the Trust CEO is now also the Club CEO.  One of their staff,  a trained coach and ex footballer is currently undertaking a part time MBA with support from the trust.  We have made a good start but, I would suggest that this is the time to create a joint vision,  strategy and put resources in place. 

It long overdue Ricky and that's got to be the worry. Gordon Scott promised new and fresh ideas when he took over from a "tired" board, and he hasn't really delivered. There's no business plan, no community involvement, and no attempt to expand the clubs support. The only plan for extra revenue seems to be to give SMISA a bump every three months. And SMISA seem to have struggled with their plan too. Targets to boost membership have failed probably because they were targets without any plan of action to help realise those targets. And what to me is concerning is that it looks like most people are quite happy just to let the whole thing drift aimlessly along so long as SMISA have sufficient numbers to ensure the take over goes ahead when its supposed to. 

I remember when Buy The Buds was first mooted there was an insistence that there was plenty of talent amongst the support to give great ideas that would drive the club forward. Well if that talent exists it's either not being listened too, or perhaps the SMISA board have made themselves too difficult to contact. 

23 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Just saying it, from my viewpoint. Guys like me chucked it (Smisa) because of real and genuine trust issues with the club board, chairman and his Smisa posse. They dont want talent, knowledge, experience that is seen as (stupidly) a threat to the chairman. Ffs grow a pair!

Personally,  I don't see your points as complaints.  But.. LPM.. whilst there is a lot still to do... a lot has been achieved.  Still,  time might be right for everyone to move on with more confidence,  don't you think? 

I'm a little confused by this thread.  Are there people posting on here who genuinely think that they have the talent, knowledge and experience that is lacking in the club's existing management structure?  Do they have ideas to develop the club in the community and to greatly increase the existing revenue stream?  They must have a fully costed business plan just waiting to be implemented that will turn the club around.  Why didn't they bid for the club when the old board were selling up.  Some people, eh!

36 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Personally,  I don't see your points as complaints.  But.. LPM.. whilst there is a lot still to do... a lot has been achieved.  Still,  time might be right for everyone to move on with more confidence,  don't you think? 

Ok Ricky... off the pitch... whats been achieved? 

42 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

I'm a little confused by this thread.  Are there people posting on here who genuinely think that they have the talent, knowledge and experience that is lacking in the club's existing management structure?  Do they have ideas to develop the club in the community and to greatly increase the existing revenue stream?  They must have a fully costed business plan just waiting to be implemented that will turn the club around.  Why didn't they bid for the club when the old board were selling up.  Some people, eh!

Rabuddies.  Speaking personally I am on record on here as giving full credit to both the board and SMISA for what they have done including handling Jack Ross's move to Sunderland.  This doesn't mean that I can't have suggestions that might  be worth looking at and the same goes for others.  Not that it's particularly relevant perhaps but I have spent the last 23 years giving strategic advice to government departments,  banks,  manufacturing, electronics and service business's throughout the world with businesses with staff up to 300,000 . ßo I guess the fact that these sought out my advice,  paid me well and implemented the improvements to advantage in staff performance,  market share,  profitability and corporate social responsibility might just give me a view on where the club, board and SMISA are and can go.  Now I can't believe that I am the only one with knowledge or skills that could be useful and there will be many like me.  It's not whether these exist,  it's more about these stakeholders might be most usefully involved.  PS Taught Future Thinking,  Millennium Style Leadership and Stakeholders Management at a successful Business School at a Scottish University. This is not an advert for me.  I am retired and now run just 2 businesses.  Others who  are younger should be given a platform from which the answers to these questions can be jointly worked through And their findings assessed and actions on after prioritising.  And at now we are in a position of strength... Best time to do it. 

Edited by St.Ricky

31 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

Some of us could bring large scale developers to the club, who would put national retailers on site.... thing is we never got the call back, so hundreds of thousands in investment went elsewhere.  But hey... maybe the biRd are playing the long game... arf.. arf...

9 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Some of us could bring large scale developers to the club, who would put national retailers on site.... thing is we never got the call back, so hundreds of thousands in investment went elsewhere.  But hey... maybe the biRd are playing the long game... arf.. arf...

See my previous post. 

2 hours ago, rabuddies said:

If you are saying that the St Mirren support are a clueless, talent-less bunch of morons who shouldn't be anywhere near a football club boardroom, I'd have to say I'd struggle to argue with that.

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

A similar story was relayed to me a while back about someone who had lined up a number of business associates of his who were apparently primed to buy advertising space around the stadium but who got fed up waiting for a call from the club. And around the same time another individual told me to consider why the Fans Council half time raffle had ended when it was returning a five figure profit every year. I may have been lied to by two people, or perhaps there were reasons for what happened but if it's true it certainly doesn't look like there is much of an attempt to harness any talent that exists amongst the fans. 

In comparison Sunderland's Stewart Donald was being pestered about the "pink seats" at the Stadium of Light and he said in a podcast he would buy red seats out of his own pocket and put on food and refreshments so long as the fans provided the labour to replace them. 

It's good enough for a club more than 50 times the size of St Mirren.