Where should Saints spend the millions?

If Jack swoops in for John McGinn and Kyle McGennis that's potentially another couple of million in the war chest on top of the chunks of cash already banked for winning the Championship and selling Morgan, Mallan and McAllister. Saints are loaded! Where should the Club invest? Exclusively in a big name manager and a  decent budget to build a first team to survive in the top flight or in the Academy including getting back our elite status to keep the conveyor belt of talent coming through?

2 hours ago, magnus said:

If Jack swoops in for John McGinn and Kyle McGennis that's potentially another couple of million in the war chest on top of the chunks of cash already banked for winning the Championship and selling Morgan, Mallan and McAllister. Saints are loaded! Where should the Club invest? Exclusively in a big name manager and a  decent budget to build a first team to survive in the top flight or in the Academy including getting back our elite status to keep the conveyor belt of talent coming through?

Strangely,  for some,  it is not too difficult to make money but it is even easier to spend it!!  Each of the areas you mention has its merits and will have been budgeted for already.  You might increase one or more slightly.  I am more interested in the club investing in an infrastructure to support The Board and Tony in marketing and development and In developing facilities for fans which make 7 days a week use of eating and sports facilities and income from meeting spaces etc.  These then provide a revenue stream to support the original budget.  

Edited by St.Ricky

12 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Strangely,  for some,  it is not too difficult to make money but it is even easier to spend it!!  Each of the areas you mention has its merits and will have been budgeted for already.  You might increase one or more slightly.  I am more interested in the club investing in an infrastructure to support The Board and Tony in marketing and development.  In developing facilities for fans which make 7 days a week use of eating and sports facilities and income from meeting spaces etc.  These then provide a revenue stream to support the original budget.  

Not sure if Marketing and Development is essential, I get what you mean by it but we also have to look at the overheads involved, the cost to get the facilities to a point where they can be used and maintained. You also then have employment costs etc if the facilities are open 7 days a week.

Also I don't agree with the Elite status with the Youth Academy, we are currently producing some young talent at the moment, Elite status will cost us something in the region of another 100+ grand to achieve. Hopefully soon we will have a new manager and it will be made clear what he has to deal with.

Good thread and good repsonses

30 minutes ago, jaybee said:

I wasn't aware we had it

Pretty sure Saints Academy had achieved the highest ranking possible before Project Brave and the Board decided on cost grounds not to go for it under the new criteria (which would have involved more full time coaching staff)

If we want to play with the big boys, then we need to use some of their tactics - e.g. Sign players like Florien Kamberi for around £100,000 on a 4 year deal and punt him after 1 or 2 for £4,000,000 plus, once he has scored 25 goals in season 1 or after season 2 when he nets  another 30. With of course the 30 % sell on clause at his next club -  (Remember Van Dijk)

We only need to sign a couple of these each year and if 1 is a success every couple of years we are minted... then we can sign 3 or 4 a year and sell on 1 each year to fund it and pay the wage bill... (at some point we will in the be top 3 in Scotland)

OR we can sit on it - pay tax from our profits and keep signing pretty average players, struggle etc...

One thing is for sure - we need to be able to score goals to take 3 points in a game... and we will have to be able to defend a lot better...

4 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Let's get a manager first... that would be a good start.

I can exclusively tell you that this is in the plans...  but we canny sit still until it is a done deal.... If players are available that would be really good for us, and we have the money to do a deal, then sitting back would be madness...

I think someone will be appointed this week or at the very latest next.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Strangely,  for some,  it is not too difficult to make money but it is even easier to spend it!!  Each of the areas you mention has its merits and will have been budgeted for already.  You might increase one or more slightly.  I am more interested in the club investing in an infrastructure to support The Board and Tony in marketing and development.  In developing facilities for fans which make 7 days a week use of eating and sports facilities and income from meeting spaces etc.  These then provide a revenue stream to support the original budget.  

Should we not try employ a proper marketing person no disrespect to Campbell Kennedy but its not really his expertise. 

3 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

I can exclusively tell you that this is in the plans...  but we canny sit still until it is a done deal.... If players are available that would be really good for us, and we have the money to do a deal, then sitting back would be madness...

I think someone will be appointed this week or at the very latest next.

i'd rather not go down the route of signing players before a manager is in unless the deal was done months ago, like the Paul McGinn deal.

6 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

i'd rather not go down the route of signing players before a manager is in unless the deal was done months ago, like the Paul McGinn deal.

Fair enough - I understand your viewpoint. 

As people we all have a natural motivation characteristic, that comes to the fore... that is the fun of it - we are all different..

I just think if a really good player could be signed, we would not want to jeopardise it while waiting to get a manager: but I understand where you are coming from - there is risk either way....

Edited by Sweeper07
typo

Keep some of it for a rainy day just like the Fakes do ( And they have not done to bad in recent years)  The club should never have a empty bank balance just like people should have some savings if possible.

6 minutes ago, elvis said:

Should we not try employ a proper marketing person no disrespect to Campbell Kennedy but its not really his expertise. 

Nor is it Tony's. The opportunities are there but the resources aren't. PR and selective marketing focused on producing measurable results needs expertise.

1 minute ago, mad saint 2 said:

WE COULD BUY THE TON

CLOSE THEM DOWN FOR EVER

AND STILL HAVE 2 MILL LEFT OVER

I for one would miss the delight of trouncing them more often than not... Where they are now and where we are - a number of very good years ahead for giving them a thumping, at least in the Renfrewshire Cup