Paisley Saint Mirren

56 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

When I speak football with my family in Belgium they always refer to them as Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers. Outside of the UK I think it's common for them to be referred to as so.

Isn't the same said for Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid? If I'm correct locally they are simply known as Atletico and Real but across the world the Madrid is added. I could be incorrect, just something I've heard.

The official names of Real and Atletico both contain the name Madrid. The official names of the Old Firm do not include the name Glasgow.

45 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Hi Ricky,

I was not having a pop at the fact that our football team has the name of a Christian Saint - I was querying whether or not a discussion on atheism or otherwise was really in the spirit of what you intended - perhaps it was, perhaps not.  Either way it is fine by me - I just did not want someone coming back at me with a rant about their belief's because of what I had typed - but what will be will be...

Generally Saints were good folk who cared deeply for people.. but of course they were all human...

I have to say that religion wasn't in my mind. What was, was partly whimsical and partly about identity as the town's team .

4 hours ago, helpmaboab said:

That's a nonsense zico

Glasgow Rangers

Glasgow Celtic

Manchester United

Manchester City

....by your logic none of these teams draw support from outside the main city

Unfortunately Paisley is a shitty name too, not aggressive enough

"Where are you from Tam?"

"Paaaaiiissslaaaaaaay"

"ya poor bugger"

"Ayeeeeee, a know, no ma fault"

"Dae yi support St.Mirren"

"dae a f**k"

'Glasgow' Rangers died in 2012.  I've copied a wee bit from Wiki....

A failure to reach agreement with creditors on 14 June 2012 led to The Rangers Football Club plc (since renamed RFC 2012 plc)[79] entering the process of liquidation.[80]

After the CVA proposal was rejected, the administrators completed a going concern sale of the business and assets to a new company Sevco Scotland Ltd, later renamed The Rangers Football Club Ltd.[81][82] When the new company failed to secure the club's previous place in the Scottish Premier League,[83] Rangers were accepted into the Scottish Football League and placed in the lowest division, the Third, rather than the First Division as the SPL and SFA had sought.[84] The transfer of Rangers' SFA membership was agreed by the SFA upon acceptance of a number of conditions, including a one-year transfer ban, in time for the club to begin the 2012–13 season.[85]

They don't have Glasgow in their name. Funnily enough, neither do The Celtic Football Club.

Edited by Buddie Marvelous

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Cant wait for the colder weather. To many solar powered posters getting over heated. We are 7 weeks from our first game... we have gapping holes in our squad... no manager .... but discussing religion and name changing. Snow soon please !!!

It's going to feel a lot longer.  

1 minute ago, helpmaboab said:

Never mind Poddy, I've got heaps mair posts coming for you tae read.

All these folk having an arguement about the 'Glasgow' inclusion. Heaps more teams have the main town name and followed by many outside the town/city.....Aberdeen, Barcelona, Liverpool, etc. ..........people like zico trying to deny such just goes to show how petty and  wrong their arguement is.

Anyway, back to Paisley St Mirren discussion. Paisley is a crap name, very apt all things considered and St Mirren is an apt name for a team with a pretty crap record. But hey, I'm a St Mirren supporter as are many others despite all this. I'm a St Mirren supporter as were my father and grandfather simply because we are Paisley people with the courage and loyalty to support the local team. On reflection we are St Mirren. Just wish we were a better team, more in the league of Saint Etienne or St Germaine than St Johnstone. St Mirren, the victim of being in a wee poor country with a small population and very little attraction to the best players in the world. Doomed to mediocrity. Just look at our useless national team. We are a joke. Folk running around wi daft red wigs and kilts being proud to be losers. Surely we're better than that.

How's the thread going Ricky? So far so good, eh?

Going how I thought it might go......wild. 

I remember the TV advertising campaign for Cumbernauld. "What's it called - Cumbernauld." Looks like our answer is St Mirren.  Maybe here more about new managers and players soon and get back to the normal business of the pros and cons of these soon. PS.  I like the idea of St Mirren Way.

12 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

All these folk having an arguement about the 'Glasgow' inclusion. Heaps more teams have the main town name and followed by many outside the town/city.....Aberdeen, Barcelona, Liverpool, etc. ..........people like zico trying to deny such just goes to show how petty and  wrong their arguement is.

2 points.

1. Its you who began the 'argument' about the inclusion of the word 'Glasgow', albeit, its not really an argument, you are just plain wrong.

2. Who has denied that other clubs are named after a town/city and what relevance is it?

zico..... you got something sensible to contribute? 
You're either not very smart or.............TRYING TO BE F*****G ANNOYING!
probably both.
you really in New York?       "you talking to me"  "you talking to me".     "f**k you zico!"

In other words, you know you are talking shite.

Yet again.

On 5/29/2018 at 11:55 AM, Deekthebuddie said:

It's a possibility, although naming the stadium will be likely to be who is willing to pay most to do it.   The renaming of the railway station is also a possibility. When I lived in Newcastle a few years back, the Metro station nearest St.James's park was named that and was decked out in black and white as opposed to the yellow in the rest of the stations, and Scotrail did rename Exhibition Centr station to Craiglang (although was just for the duration of Still Game 2 being on at the hydro)

Have heard that there are already plans in place for a local company to take on the stadium name sponsorship post-Paisley 2021.

3 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Going how I thought it might go......wild. 

I remember the TV advertising campaign for Cumbernauld. "What's it called - Cumbernauld." Looks like our answer is St Mirren.  Maybe here more about new managers and players soon and get back to the normal business of the pros and cons of these soon. PS.  I like the idea of St Mirren Way.

Ricky ever considered leading a revolution or at least sign posting one.  St Petersbourg to Leningrad Paisley to Rickygrad.  Far better ring than Shullsville or Pod City.... 

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Ricky ever considered leading a revolution or at least sign posting one.  St Petersbourg to Leningrad Paisley to Rickygrad.  Far better ring than Shullsville or Pod City.... 

Lovely city St Petersburg / Leningrad. Worked there a few times but left the name intact.  (Football club is FC Zenit St Petersburg) 

Edited by St.Ricky

After two long and agonizing days (OK, maybe we're being a little dramatic), we've finally learned what name Kim Kardashian and Kanye West  have for their newborn baby boy.

The famous pair revealed earlier today (well four years ago) that their son's godly moniker, one they just came up with, is Saint West. And while some may find their chosen name for their second child more than fitting (after all, it is the son of Yeezus), others might think Saint is a bit out there.

So if two of the world's most high profile nutters can come up with a Saints name in two day's that only gives St Mirren's Black and White Army forum members until 1132am tomorrow to agree on a suitable name for their team or helpmaboab by the revelations of St Ricky  they will be so dumb they can't even keep up with the Kardashians.

Topic Started at 1132am yesterday by Ricky Kardashian

Edited by East Lothian Saint
Saintly intervention

I remember the days when EAB was always starting the song.......

You're no,You're no

We're St Mirryen and you're no

We're Black and we're White

We hate Gr**nock shite 

24 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

I'm starting to get to like the luk o this new spelling lark

Selltick 0  Sint Murn 5

Sint Murn 3  Barsaloana 0

Sint Murn 2  Youventis 1

......and of course away fae hame at Eyebrox

Rainjurs 0  Sint Murn 9 

......some guid results there, much better than St Mirren used to do....

What's in a name?

True..

Morton = scummy sh!te 

6 hours ago, HSS said:

You're no,You're no

We hate Gr**nock shite 

f**king hated that song with a vengeance.

Anyone who sings it now is OFTW.

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair

7 hours ago, HSS said:

You're no,You're no

We hate Gr**nock shite 

Does anyone remember a very old North Bank song that started with "deep in the heart of Feegie?" I might have dreamt it....

Edited by magnus