The Future is Bright -The Future is Black and White.

Our favourite football club is about to appoint a new manager to take us onwards and upwards in the Premiership.  This reminds me strongly of the post Ferguson period (Thanks IOBS)  where we went on to bigger and better things after Ferguson left.  Crystal ball gazing seems to be all the rage.  Looking in mine I can see us finishing in the top 8 next season and the too 6 the season after.  I can see us getting through the group stages of the Betfred Cup this season and reaching the semi finals the season after. I can see a decent run in the Scottish Cup this season and a Semi Final Place in the next.  Am I too optimistic?  Is your glass half full or half empty?

Edited by St.Ricky

1 minute ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

Please, help required, must be the most painful close season ever. :hammer

So you are pessimistic / optimistic or simply can't be bothered to think about anything unrelated to yourself Faraway? 

15 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Our favourite football club is about to appoint a new manager to take us onwards and upwards in the Premiership.  This reminds me strongly of the post Ferguson period (Thanks IOBS)  where we went on to bigger and better things after Ferguson left.  Crystal ball gazing seems to be all the rage.  Looking in mine I can see us finishing in the top 8 next season and the too 6 the season after.  I can see us getting through the group stages of the Betfred Cup this season and reaching the semi finals the season after. I can see a decent run in the Scottish Cup this season and a Semi Final Place in the next.  Am I too optimistic? 

I would be happy with the top 11.

59 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Our favourite football club is about to appoint a new manager to take us onwards and upwards in the Premiership.  This reminds me strongly of the post Ferguson period (Thanks IOBS)  where we went on to bigger and better things after Ferguson left.  Crystal ball gazing seems to be all the rage.  Looking in mine I can see us finishing in the top 8 next season and the too 6 the season after.  I can see us getting through the group stages of the Betfred Cup this season and reaching the semi finals the season after. I can see a decent run in the Scottish Cup this season and a Semi Final Place in the next.  Am I too optimistic?

I can see it's an optometrist your in need of:rolleyes:

Can someone just wake me up once we have appointed a New management team! This has dragged on longer than the good weather. Once we know who we have then we will determine just how bright our future is going to be! With the majority of names branded about our future is as bright as a 60 watt energy saver light bulb! ..... 

Just now, Drew said:

If this is what not drinking does to you, thank f**k I enjoy a swallae!

From what I read from your recent posts Drew,  you are quite relaxed about the new manager appointment.  So where do you see him taking us? 

If this is what not drinking does to you, thank f**k I enjoy a swallae!

I’d happily accept a wee swallae if there’s enough to go round ?

‘The future was bright, until Frickys multiple threads each and every night’

Now, where’s the beer ? [emoji481]

3 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

We haven't interviewed anybody yet.

The squad Ferguson left behind him included the following players Billy Thomson, Campbell Money,  Alex Beckett, Jackie Copland, Iain Munro, John Young, Bobby Reid, Tony Fitzpatrick, Billy Stark, Dougie Bell, Lex Richardson, Billy Abercromby, Bobby Torrance, Frank McGarvey, Peter Weir, Jimmy Bone...

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

We haven't interviewed anybody yet.

The squad Ferguson left behind him included the following players Billy Thomson, Campbell Money,  Alex Beckett, Jackie Copland, Iain Munro, John Young, Bobby Reid, Tony Fitzpatrick, Billy Stark, Dougie Bell, Lex Richardson, Billy Abercromby, Bobby Torrance, Frank McGarvey, Peter Weir, Jimmy Bone...

And you are right.... they were dammed good.  I take both your points on board.  I did ask if I w as being too optimistic. 

6 hours ago, LargsBud said:

If we finish 11th, the manager (whoever it is) will get sacked. 

We will sort things out for Linwood Biddie  and avoid this by finishing higher n the league.

Edited by St.Ricky

15 hours ago, wee cumbrae bud said:

Winning Cup Competitions is success. 

Good runs, getting through Group Stages, reaching Semi Finals, but not winning Trophy is.... 

FECKING FAILURE 

WC. We, by your definition, fail almost every season and Renfrewshire Cup apart have only had a handful of successful seasons. So your glass is half empty. Mine is half full and I see steps  being made towards once again achieving one of those special Cup Winning Year's.  I am going to enjoy each step.

Edited by St.Ricky

29 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

WC. We, by your definition, fail almost every season and Renfrewshire Cup apart have only had a handful of successful seasons. So your glass is half empty. Mine is half full and I see steps  being made towards once again achieving one of those special Cup Winning Year's.  I am going to enjoy each step.

Tell me all about how you felt when leaving Stadiums after we lost ...... ( HIGHLY ECSTATIC  ? )

The 3 Semi Finals in the early 1980's

Hammarby

Gretna in 2006

Hampden 2010

Raith Rovers last Season

and many many many more.

Look back and enjoy each step again when the Cup is won.

16 hours ago, wee cumbrae bud said:

Winning Cup Competitions is success. 

Good runs, getting through Group Stages, reaching Semi Finals, but not winning Trophy is.... 

FECKING FAILURE 

One the one level you are correct - but from where we were and where we are now, a few good runs in cups can bring in the dosh and a winning mentality to take us higher in future.

Where will we finish? I think it depends who we get as manager,who we sign, and how well they "gel" as a team (balance etc.)

My hope is we avoid relegation or the play-offs. My stretched goal is that we finish 7th next season and get into the top 6 sometime soon after than..

17 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Our favourite football club is about to appoint a new manager to take us onwards and upwards in the Premiership.  This reminds me strongly of the post Ferguson period (Thanks IOBS)  where we went on to bigger and better things after Ferguson left.  Crystal ball gazing seems to be all the rage.  Looking in mine I can see us finishing in the top 8 next season and the too 6 the season after.  I can see us getting through the group stages of the Betfred Cup this season and reaching the semi finals the season after. I can see a decent run in the Scottish Cup this season and a Semi Final Place in the next.  Am I too optimistic?  Is your glass half full or half empty?

I admire your optimism and enthusiasm, Ricky, but I don't think we can say too much about what will happen next season until we have a manager in place. We have a good board in place, but, as we saw last season, the manager plays an absolutely vital part in the success or otherwise of the club. Perhaps you could pose the question again when we know who the new manager is (another opportunity to start a thread?). Until then, the best I can offer is to echo Sweeper's sentiment, that the goal next season must be to avoid relegation and the playoffs, and perhaps progress from there in the following season.

On 6/4/2018 at 9:00 AM, pondsman said:

I admire your optimism and enthusiasm, Ricky, but I don't think we can say too much about what will happen next season until we have a manager in place. We have a good board in place, but, as we saw last season, the manager plays an absolutely vital part in the success or otherwise of the club. Perhaps you could pose the question again when we know who the new manager is (another opportunity to start a thread?). Until then, the best I can offer is to echo Sweeper's sentiment, that the goal next season must be to avoid relegation and the playoffs, and perhaps progress from there in the following season.

We now have a manager in place.  The future looks challenging but also promising.  Pondsman makes a good case for survival being our main objective. 

Top 6 would be great, but judging by squad we have, New manager, I think aiming for 8th or better would be good for Stubbs first season. I do hope we have a cracker but trying to be realistic too. Ultimately as long as we stay up I will be pleased. Just hoping we give a good show of ourselves and show we belong in the premiership