Harry Davis

Good evening (or should I say morning) from one black and white army to another. It seems, according to internet rumours now substantiated by a local BBC journo that we (Grimsby) are about to sign your ex-centre half Harry Davis. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattdeanradio/status/1004082052164210688

I find it hard to make comparisons between the different levels of Scottish vs English football, but you reckon the lad has what it takes to do a job in League Two. His pedigree in England prior to joining you suggests he would, but then we signed ‘mad’ Gav Gunning from  Greenock Morton last season and he was unmitigated disaster (a special case though he clearly was). 

Anyway, your thoughts appreciated. All the best in your first season back in the prem!

UTM!

Edited by GTFC_85

You've got a gem in Harry , arguably the best defender in the division last season. Only question mark would be his fitness , was out for 8 months with a knee injury , and was unable to play on any of the plastic pitches up here , even when he returned to fitness !

He'll be comfortable in League Two. Turned our defensive fortunes around in our disaster season when he came in Jan 2017. Injury cut his season short but he also gave us the lead away to Celtic in the cup before the injury kicked in. We knew he wouldn't be fit until Oct-Nov but our manager gave him a contract anyway (his first spell was on loan) knowing what he could add. Likes to take penalties as well. He'll do absolutely fine at Grimsby, the biggest concern will be getting him through 46+ games while avoiding injury.  Best of luck to him, he was one of our best players when fit.

2 hours ago, StuD said:

I'd agree with Billy. The Scottish Championship is still a notch or two below English Div 2 standard, but Harry Davis was extremely comfortable and clearly playing at a level that wasn't testing him. 

No it isn't. It's roughly the same as league Two football. I'd say that most of the full time teams in the Scottish Championship would easily survive in league two. Some of the better sides would be up at the top.

Two notches below league two is conference North or south. All the sides in the championship are clearly above that level. Most conference and Conf. North and south sides are likely of Scottish league 1 or 2 standard. 

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

No it isn't. It's roughly the same as league Two football. I'd say that most of the full time teams in the Scottish Championship would easily survive in league two. Some of the better sides would be up at the top.

Two notches below league two is conference North or south. All the sides in the championship are clearly above that level. Most conference and Conf. North and south sides are likely of Scottish league 1 or 2 standard. 

St Mirren in the Premiership have just signed James Kellerman from Aldershot in the National League. The National League is the highest league in England where you will find semi pro teams - the Championship in Scotland is the highest level you will find part time teams like Dumbarton, or Brechin. And as the Grimsby fan who started this thread indicated Gavin Gunning - a former Dundee United player in the SPL - and a regular in the Morton side couldn't cut it at Grimsby. 

I seriously doubt that "most" of the Championship sides in Scotland could survive in League Two. For example Chesterfield who were relegated this season have an annual turnover of £6.635m per annum. St Mirren who were champions of the Championship turnover around £2.5m per annum. 

Not the tallest or fastest but should do ok. Never understood our fans love in with him, wasn't too upset when he left as suspected he'd struggle in Scottish Premiership.
Agree. Reads the game very well, but suspect in the air against more physical forwards. Should be fine in league 2.

3 hours ago, StuD said:

St Mirren in the Premiership have just signed James Kellerman from Aldershot in the National League. The National League is the highest league in England where you will find semi pro teams - the Championship in Scotland is the highest level you will find part time teams like Dumbarton, or Brechin. And as the Grimsby fan who started this thread indicated Gavin Gunning - a former Dundee United player in the SPL - and a regular in the Morton side couldn't cut it at Grimsby. 

I seriously doubt that "most" of the Championship sides in Scotland could survive in League Two. For example Chesterfield who were relegated this season have an annual turnover of £6.635m per annum. St Mirren who were champions of the Championship turnover around £2.5m per annum. 

Agree with this. I'd have all the SPL sides surviving Eng League Two but not many of the Championship sides.

8 hours ago, GTFC_85 said:

Good evening (or should I say morning) from one black and white army to another. It seems, according to internet rumours now substantiated by a local BBC journo that we (Grimsby) are about to sign your ex-centre half Harry Davis. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattdeanradio/status/1004082052164210688

I find it hard to make comparisons between the different levels of Scottish vs English football, but you reckon the lad has what it takes to do a job in League Two. His pedigree in England prior to joining you suggests he would, but then we signed ‘mad’ Gav Gunning from  Greenock Morton last season and he was unmitigated disaster (a special case though he clearly was). 

Anyway, your thoughts appreciated. All the best in your first season back in the prem!

UTM!

Davis is a good ball playing centre back but not physically big enough to be imposing in the air. Would do best paired with a big dominant defender, he had that sort of partnership with Gary MacKenzie for us last season and it worked very well. Played well over 100 games in League 1 and still only 26, so I'd definitely say he looks to be a good signing for any League 2 side.

I can also add that Gunning was a disaster in the Scottish Championship too, so at least he's performed consistently in both leagues.

Just out of interest, what do you reckon Grimsby's aspirations for the season are? Eyeing promotion/mid table/staying up again?

8 hours ago, StuD said:

I'd agree with Billy. The Scottish Championship is still a notch or two below English Div 2 standard, but Harry Davis was extremely comfortable and clearly playing at a level that wasn't testing him. 

What utter shite. 

34 minutes ago, HSS said:

No disrespect to Grimsby but I'd have thought Harry would get a gig in the Championship or,at worst,League 1.

He came to us from League 2 so I would have been surprised if he got a team in the Championship. He's never played at that level before, playing half his career in League 1 and half in League 2. I suspect he's now at a level he should be very comfortable in.

5 hours ago, Stegman said:

Not the tallest or fastest but should do ok. Never understood our fans love in with him, wasn't too upset when he left as suspected he'd struggle in Scottish Premiership.

I'm with this,

Miller of Livi ex Carlisle bullied Harry something silly when  we last played them, and I'm sure there'll be bigger and better strikers in the English 2nd that'll do the same.

Edited by Jack the lad

6 hours ago, StuD said:

Now, now Stuart. You know that folk on this site get angry when you start stating the bleedin' obvious!

The average attendance in English League One last season was 7,805 and that was with 24 teams. The average in the Scottish Championship was 2,882 with 10 teams. That's a huge gulf!

English League One average is 41% higher than the highest single club average in the Scottish Championship! The highest average attendance in League One last season would have been the 3rd highest in Scotland, behind only the Old Firm!

15 clubs in League One had an average attendance higher than the highest in the Scottish Championship. The average of the top 10 in League One is over 4 times higher than the 10 cluns in the Scottish Championship.

League One in England is far far ahead of the Scottish Championship!

Yeah, weird isn't it. Some St Mirren fans delude themselves that St Mirren would hold their own in Englands League Two but at the same time they think St Mirren are too small a club for Stephen Kenny to consider leaving Dundalk for.

I guess the drug problems Paisley endured through the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s have had a seriously detrimental effect on the ability of most BAWA users to use logic. 

2 minutes ago, StuD said:

Yeah, weird isn't it. Some St Mirren fans delude themselves that St Mirren would hold their own in Englands League Two but at the same time they think St Mirren are too small a club for Stephen Kenny to consider leaving Dundalk for.

I guess the drug problems Paisley endured through the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s have had a seriously detrimental effect on the ability of most BAWA users to use logic. 

Mate you are the King of Delude- You have no clue how St Mirren would do in League 2, again its just your proven bad opinion.

You still harping on about Kenny, the guy with a great track record against Irish Postman, but managed to get Pars relegated NEARLY TWICE. The guy that was branded a great manager 12 years ago, before he historically bombed

Try reading this, by the way it contains only facts so please be aware of this

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/dunfermline-sack-kenny-during-players-964028

Its funny how he was replaced by the potential of McIntyre..........................

29 minutes ago, zico said:

Now, now Stuart. You know that folk on this site get angry when you start stating the bleedin' obvious!

The average attendance in English League One last season was 7,805 and that was with 24 teams. The average in the Scottish Championship was 2,882 with 10 teams. That's a huge gulf!

English League One average is 41% higher than the highest single club average in the Scottish Championship! The highest average attendance in League One last season would have been the 3rd highest in Scotland, behind only the Old Firm!

15 clubs in League One had an average attendance higher than the highest in the Scottish Championship. The average of the top 10 in League One is over 4 times higher than the 10 cluns in the Scottish Championship.

League One in England is far far ahead of the Scottish Championship!

Valid facts but the debate was about League Two, not League one :rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Valid facts but the debate was about League Two, not League one :rolleyes:

Ok, so the side in League Two with the lowest average gate was Morecambe. They pulled in just 1,492 on average. Their most recent annual accounts shows that their annual turnover was £2.7m. St Mirren's most recent annual accounts showed turnover at £2.6m. 

Morecambe finished 22nd in the 24 team division, 4 goals ahead of Barnet who were relegated to the National League. 

Indeed in the National League Tranmere Rovers, who only finished second, show an annual turnover of £5.37m per annum. More than twice that of St Mirren. 

DJchapsticks claimed that most of the sides in the Scottish Championship would have easily survived in League Two. That's patently bullshit. 

Edited by StuD

55 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Mate you are the King of Delude- You have no clue how St Mirren would do in League 2, again its just your proven bad opinion.

You still harping on about Kenny, the guy with a great track record against Irish Postman, but managed to get Pars relegated NEARLY TWICE. The guy that was branded a great manager 12 years ago, before he historically bombed

Try reading this, by the way it contains only facts so please be aware of this

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/dunfermline-sack-kenny-during-players-964028

Its funny how he was replaced by the potential of McIntyre..........................

Oh dear. 

Dundalk are in the Champions League again this year. 17 honours in his managerial career. Going for a fourth league title in a row and currently top of the league as usual. And Dundalk aren't the richest or most popular side in Irish football. Not only that he's won those honours over FOUR clubs - all unfashionable. And even at Dunfermline he got them into Europe. A record even Tony Fitzpatrick would struggle to dream of St Mirren having. :rolleyes:

Edited by StuD

Why is it bullshit? for a team like St.Mirren to be in National league 2 they would have a much higher turnover due to much of the money coming from tv revenue etc filtering down, due to their larger home crowds our turnover would of course then be higher.

Statistics can be made to say anything