4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Have to agree.

As much as we're in a decent position, we're not the box office draw that some of seem to think we are.

Initially, I was underwhelmed as to the perceived quality of the candidates. However, when reality kicked in I realised that the likes of Stubbs and McIntyre are as good as we're going to get, without breaking the bank.

Any manager that we could have appointed would have some sort of blemish on their CV, and it's really down to an individual's opinion as to whether one candidate is better than the other.

Stubbs could bomb or he could be a success, much like what could have happened with JR.

I'll reserve judgement until I see who signs and how we perform over the first couple of months.

The one thing that does worry me a bit is the three year contract. As others have mentioned, I hope that there is some sort of release/relegation clause that minimises any financial hit that we may take if he bombs.

Onwards and upwards! Hopefully.

Yep - hadn't thought about the potential 3 year millstone round the club if it goes wrong - here's hoping it doesn't!

Now that the uncertainty is over and we know whats happening - I'm beginning to get a bit more excited about next season. Hopefully everyone gets behind the new manager and we start positively; all the moaning and complaining should wait until the wheels come off (if they ever do).  

Jack's thoughts on his successor ....

Jack Ross has urged new St Mirren manager Alan Stubbs to finish the job he started by re-establishing the Buddies as a Premiership side.

The former Hibs boss yesterday signed a three-year deal with the Paisley side to succeed Ross who quit to take charge of English League One outfit Sunderland.

But he reckons he’s left the club in good shape and team with a winning mentality after guiding Saints back to the top flight with Championship glory last season.

And Ross believes St Mirren have appointed the right man in Stubbs to continue their remarkable revival in the Premiership next term.

He said: “The St Mirren job is a far better and more attractive proposition now than when I took over the club.

“I was always a big advocate of the positive things around the club and not just when we enjoyed success.

“One thing that hasn’t changed is the fact St Mirren possess masses ofpotential. It will be the same for Alan.

“When I left the club I hadn’t finished the job as circumstances dictated I would end up elsewhere. I’m sure Alan realises and will have looked at it that way.

“I would love him to finish the job I started and see the potential for St Mirren to grow and help re-establish themselves as a Premiership club.

“Given the success Alan has had as a manager with Hibs and the manner in which his have teams played I think this is as a good fit for St Mirren.

“Every manager when they are out of work wants an opportunity to get back into the game.

“For Alan, the St Mirren job is a good one to inherit at this moment.

“He will be walking into a dressing room with a core group of players who are used to winning games which is a good thing.

“We had players like Stephen McGinn and Craig Samson who set the tone for the season we just had.

“They were important players to have in the dressing room and a great
influence on and off the park.

“My aim was to build a squad capable of winning the Championship and that is what we did.

“Then I started to turn my attentions to building a squad that was capable of competing in the Premiership.

“That was only half done and now Alan’s task will be to build on the elements that are already there and keep them in the Premiership.

“St Mirren are a cracking football club and I still speak to Tony Fitzpatrick at least three times as week. I am just desperate for the club to continue on their path up the way.”

Ross says Stubbs will be able to tap into a wealth of young talent from the Saints academy which has produced the likes of Kenny McLean, John McGinn and Lewis Morgan in recent seasons.

Ross said: “St Mirren are a proper football club. They have a youth academy with a proven track record of producing players who have progressed into the first team and beyond.

“McLean and McGinn are now Scotland regulars. Young Morgan has signed for Celtic and is just beginning to make his international mark and Stevie Mallan has also turned out for the Under-21s. It clearly works.

“The youngsters know there is a pathway into the first team and that is encouraging for Alan moving forward.”

Off the park Ross was blown away by the backing he received from Buddies supporters from day one and believes Stubbs will also be impressed by the Saints fanbase.

And he insists the new manager should not shy away from setting the club ambitious targets.

Ross said: “St Mirren also have a proper fanbase who rediscovered their love for the club and that is another important thing for Alan to build on.

“The St Mirren fans were totally supportive of me and I am sure they will be the same when Alan takes charge.

“I was comfortable in the job and I really enjoyed it. The relationship I built with the supporters and the board were key to all of that.

“There is a positive vibe around St Mirren and I am sure that will have helped him accept the job. If St Mirren have secured their Premiership place at the end of next season that will enable them to build for the next challenge.

“The club have been ambitious over the past 18 months and I don’t see Alan approaching things any differently.

“Alan has enjoyed success as a player and a boss at a higher level than I did. I’m sure his ambition will be high anyway. I derived an enormous amount of satisfaction during my time as St Mirren manager. I wish him and the club all the very best for the future.”

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Have to agree.

As much as we're in a decent position, we're not the box office draw that some of seem to think we are.

Initially, I was underwhelmed as to the perceived quality of the candidates. However, when reality kicked in I realised that the likes of Stubbs and McIntyre are as good as we're going to get, without breaking the bank.

Any manager that we could have appointed would have some sort of blemish on their CV, and it's really down to an individual's opinion as to whether one candidate is better than the other.

Stubbs could bomb or he could be a success, much like what could have happened with JR.

I'll reserve judgement until I see who signs and how we perform over the first couple of months.

The one thing that does worry me a bit is the three year contract. As others have mentioned, I hope that there is some sort of release/relegation clause that minimises any financial hit that we may take if he bombs.

Onwards and upwards! Hopefully.

The three year contract makes perfect sense. Year 1, Stubbs keeps us up while playing some fitba’ and settles in. Year 2, Stubbs has his maverick Saints playing such free-flowing football that Sunderland, who have slipped into League 2, come crawling on their hands and knees, and as we have Stubbs on a 3 year deal, their lunatic new owners need to pay us megabucks.

We get Jack back, who, after doing a fair impression of Stubbs at Rotherham, simply picks up where he left off.

Everyone’s a winner, except the lunatic Mackems.

GLS and Fitzy have played a blinder here. Bookmark this. It’s going to happen. Now, time for another extra strong Espresso....

12 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Oh I get that DJ. Biting, cutting edge from ADS . Make anybody hoot with laughter.....oh dear I may just have been sarcastic.  Note to self. .cut that out.

The  is no room for non sacarcastic comments in the forum. I also guess Irony can be pretty ironic at times .

24 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The three year contract makes perfect sense. Year 1, Stubbs keeps us up while playing some fitba’ and settles in. Year 2, Stubbs has his maverick Saints playing such free-flowing football that Sunderland, who have slipped into League 2, come crawling on their hands and knees, and as we have Stubbs on a 3 year deal, their lunatic new owners need to pay us megabucks.

We get Jack back, who, after doing a fair impression of Stubbs at Rotherham, simply picks up where he left off.

Everyone’s a winner, except the lunatic Mackems.

GLS and Fitzy have played a blinder here. Bookmark this. It’s going to happen. Now, time for another extra strong Espresso....

Expresso. ?? I was thinking more on the lines of LSD:D

3 hours ago, southsidebud said:

Yep - hadn't thought about the potential 3 year millstone round the club if it goes wrong - here's hoping it doesn't!

Now that the uncertainty is over and we know whats happening - I'm beginning to get a bit more excited about next season. Hopefully everyone gets behind the new manager and we start positively; all the moaning and complaining should wait until the wheels come off (if they ever do).  

Pull the other one, it's got bells on it!:lol:

Astoundingly, despite the spectacular 18 months we have just experienced under JR, there were still some forum members lambasting the manager, players and BoD at every opportunity. Then they had the audacity to lap up the success that we achieved, which was mostly as a result of the efforts of the aforementioned manager, BoD and players.

I'll back the guy because he is the manager and I know we aren't as big an attraction as some folk think but it worries me that he was sacked after 14 games in his last gig and has done nowt in the game in nearly 2 years. We aren't a "catch"  but neither is he. I hope to be on here in 6 months eating masses of humble pie.

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

We'll get some sense of where Stubbs is coming from when he starts signing up players. We need at least half a dozen additions, so he'll certainly be busy.

I reckon we need as many as nine - a goalie to challenge Samson, two central defenders, at least one if not two full backs, a defensive midfielder, a left midfielder and a couple of strikers. I can see some of the fringe players being loaned out to championship teams as many probably aren't ready for the premiership.

He's going to be busy. 

Listened to his interview with Simon Ferry and he's comes across as an intelligent guy with a good degree of humility.  Said the two most important assets a manager must have are man management and the ability to recruit well.  Hibs supporters on P&B certainly appreciative of his efforts and there's praise for the players he recruited.  Sounds like he knows he made a poor decision moving to Rotherham and appreciated his next (which turns out to be St Mirren) job is a huge moment for him.  I think he'll do all right.

4 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I suspect that Stubbs will do fine. Any specific predictions before squads are shaping up would be silly - so here's mine. :)

Comfortably at the top end of the bottom six, achieving safety from the playoffs one game after the split. Tony will be livid but talk it up anyway and Robbie Neilson will say "I could have done that".

My thoughts are similar Slarti.

Our target should be no worse than eighth since I regard Hamilton, Livingston, Dundee and St Johnstone as frail and vulnerable this season. However we absolutely need to hit the ground running and harvest a shitload of points before the heavy going / harsh winter arrives. We also need to regard fixtures against the likes of Motherwell and Kilmarnock as having potential for points. The other 5 monsters (Glasgow x 2 / Edinburgh x 2 / Aberdeen) are unlikely to reap too many points for us so AS should concentrate on maximising points where they are reasonably achievable.