Alan's first signings

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Miller should really not be on out radar. 

We've been burnt by over the hill players far too often in the past. At 38 I don't think he should be the sort of target we're looking at. 

Miller is a player who works hard Aberdeen want him for good reason.

I would take him still has a season in these legs.

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I heard Miller on the radio yesterday and does still sound like a decent enough individual and still full of enthusiasm for playing . Is he still good enough for the Scottish Premier league?  Maybe , if we did bring him in it would be as a super-sub but I reckon Stubbsy will know what is best. .

5 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Does he? How many times have we seen a preseason break absolutely kill a player of his age stone dead?

Look at Stevie Thompson a few years ago. He finished the season as POTY and by start of next season he had lost just about everything. Think I also recall him saying how much harder that 8 week break and getting back up to pace becomes with age. 

Miller hasn't kicked a ball for at least 4 months. He'd be a massive risk based on fitness and if he still has the legs, even if his wage demands weren't exuberant. 

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Does he? How many times have we seen a preseason break absolutely kill a player of his age stone dead?

Look at Stevie Thompson a few years ago. He finished the season as POTY and by start of next season he had lost just about everything. Think I also recall him saying how much harder that 8 week break and getting back up to pace becomes with age. 

Miller hasn't kicked a ball for at least 4 months. He'd be a massive risk based on fitness and if he still has the legs, even if his wage demands weren't exuberant. 

Tommy Turner? There are certain players who can play on when older. Kenny looks after himself that's easy to see. I have been impressed by him from watching Sportscene.  Anyway may not  be what Stubbs wants. 

Really looking forward to seeing who comes in over the next few weeks.

Stubbs record in the transfer market at Hibs was very good, and his contacts down South will be extensive.

Hoping Craig Halkett is on his list, would be a great signing IMO!

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Tommy Turner? There are certain players who can play on when older. Kenny looks after himself that's easy to see. I have been impressed by him from watching Sportscene.  Anyway may not  be what Stubbs wants. 

Think it's a lot different when a centre half. Millen and Turner went on so long as it was their reading of the game that kept them there. 

It's a lot different for a centre forward. Jim Hamilton, Dennis Wyness, Craig Dargo and Eddie Annand immediately spring to mind as guys in their 30s whose legs were pretty much finished by the time they reached us and their previously strong scoring records went out the window. 

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Think it's a lot different when a centre half. Millen and Turner went on so long as it was their reading of the game that kept them there. 

It's a lot different for a centre forward. Jim Hamilton, Dennis Wyness, Craig Dargo and Eddie Annand immediately spring to mind as guys in their 30s whose legs were pretty much finished by the time they reached us and their previously strong scoring records went out the window. 

Craig Brewster bucked that trend

Miller is a player who has got better with age

If he signs with one of our rivals i wager he would be on the scoresheet against us

Do I think Alan Stubbs and St Mirren should sign Kenny Miller? Yes - under one set of circumstances only. Those circumstances being a one-year deal on an affordable wage. Otherwise, absolutely not. If a deal was struck (and I don’t believe for one minute it will be), then it would be money well spent if he nicked a few goals that contributed to us staying up. Especially if he scored a winner against the 2012 Franchise Globetrotters at the Twenny Twenny Wan.

Can’t see it mind you, unless Stubbs knows him well and maybe there’s a path into coaching for Miller too.

Anywayyy.... what will be will be.

Really looking forward to seeing who comes in over the next few weeks.

Stubbs record in the transfer market at Hibs was very good, and his contacts down South will be extensive.

Hoping Craig Halkett is on his list, would be a great signing IMO!

According to this article he made 31 signings with Hibs ....

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/judging-all-31-of-alan-stubbs-signings-at-hibs-1-4166472/amp

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

It wouldn't hurt to do a Donati style sort of deal. I'd have much more confidence that Miller would be able to contribute than I had about Donati when we signed him.

1 hour ago, windae cleaner said:

Craig Brewster bucked that trend

Miller is a player who has got better with age

If he signs with one of our rivals i wager he would be on the scoresheet against us

The trick with older players is anticipating when the "season too long" is due - for Miller based on his league tally I'd say that's now.

Edit - Might even have been last season.

2015–16[127] Scottish Championship 32 14 6 2 2 1 3 4 43 21
2016–17[127] Scottish Premiership 37 11 4 3 6 0 47 14
2017–18[127] Scottish Premiership 18 3 2 0 1 1 2 1 23 5
Edited by Bud the Baker