Alan's first signings

56 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

. If anyone of note was after him in England he wouldn't be at St Mirren.

Spoke to a Boro fan yesterday , he's seen Heaton play and was raving about him , he had a deal on the table to be part of their U23s but this guy says he's made the right move as young guys don't get a proper chance there anymore. I'm happy so far , need experience next !

I've watched a few episodes in the past of the V9 academy that had a documentary on Sky 1. It's a really good set-up.

It's great that Stubbs had involvement as a coach at this academy as it has not only gave him first-hand view of these players, it has also opened up his network of contacts down south for tapping out the best players who we would have more chance of signing, but maybe never had visibility of before.

Heaton apparently had an offer on the table with a better salary at Middlesbrough, with other clubs at that level interested, though has opted for a better chance of first team football here. He could have a similar impact financially, if not better than Jack Henrys move from Dundee to Celtic.

Before jumping on the 'not good enough ship', you only have to look at the career path of the guy who set up the V9 academy to see that their is talent in the lower leagues and its all about getting opportunities at the right time.

I am looking forward to seeing who else is in the pipeline. I am pretty sure there is more experience to be added to the squad. 

36 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Pleasantly surprised how matters are unfolding. Kudos to Mr Stubbs. A few experienced players blended with some youngsters and we'll be in our strongest position for years.

This is it. 

Supporters have been clamouring for years for us to step away from signing the same old names and faces from the same clubs and actually scout the English Lower Leagues seeing the success its previously brought clubs like Motherwell and Inverness to name just a couple. 

We finally do so and I understand why some are panicking, but let's be honest, every signing at our level is a risk. Even seemingly established guys like Harkins and Imrie turned out to be dogshit so why not try our arm with a couple of these lads? 

Biggest fee paid in 25 years for a player from National League South. Do me a favour. Absolutely staggering gamble. If anyone of note was after him in England he wouldn't be at St Mirren.
A striker from Truro for the Premiership in Scotland who comes from part time football, got to be making it up. I wasn't fussed about Reilly moving on, I am now !
Both these signings make me really worried and anyone who isn't is kidding themselves. 
Hope to be totally wrong but not looking good IMO. 

How much? Peterborough paid an undisclosed fee reputed to be over £100K for a player in my local National League South team. Stubbs recruitment record was very highly regarded by Hibs supporters so reasons to be optimistic.

2 minutes ago, David Mc said:

How much? Peterborough paid an undisclosed fee reputed to be over £100K for a player in my local National League South team. Stubbs recruitment record was very highly regarded by Hibs supporters so reasons to be optimistic.

I think he meant our biggest fee paid for 25 years. 

7 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

Maybe we wait and see how good these new guys are before dismissing or writing them off outright.  AS has watched these guys and cannot believe he would fritter away a transfer fee.  No guarantees but they will get my full backing.  There will be further players coming in so let's judge them as they perform.

100% correct, Think there are dark memories hanging over some fans from the Craig fiasco that live on.  The videos of Cody are impressive the lad looks very composed. One of the tackles has an opposition player through on goal Cody from a difficult angle wins the ball he looks class from what I seen. Darlington fans love him don't write anything bad about him. So who is next in today ? Being reported that we are seeking for the Greek club to free Stokes from his contract if Stubbs can manage him it would be a fantastic signing. That would be five players in leaving space for two to three more probably from Evertons under 23's given what Stubbs has said ,  very exciting. 

34 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

This is it. 

Supporters have been clamouring for years for us to step away from signing the same old names and faces from the same clubs and actually scout the English Lower Leagues seeing the success its previously brought clubs like Motherwell and Inverness to name just a couple. 

We finally do so and I understand why some are panicking, but let's be honest, every signing at our level is a risk. Even seemingly established guys like Harkins and Imrie turned out to be dogshit so why not try our arm with a couple of these lads? 

Ryan Hardie just never clicked yet a number of clubs are desperate to get him.  No doubt the ability of the manager can improve a player.

24 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

100% correct, Think there are dark memories hanging over some fans from the Craig fiasco that live on.  The videos of Cody are impressive the lad looks very composed. One of the tackles has an opposition player through on goal Cody from a difficult angle wins the ball he looks class from what I seen. Darlington fans love him don't write anything bad about him. So who is next in today ? Being reported that we are seeking for the Greek club to free Stokes from his contract if Stubbs can manage him it would be a fantastic signing. That would be five players in leaving space for two to three more probably from Evertons under 23's given what Stubbs has said ,  very exciting. 

It sounds like the Greeks already want rid of Stokes as they have stated as much though he does have about 18 months left on his contract . .

Who are the 5 then??? Kellerman, Heaton,Cooke ????? & Stokes.

11 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
45 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

McGinn (P)?

58 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

This is it. 

Some players just didn't fit at our Club which may have been something to do with the manager at that time. In the case of Dougie Imrie , I think he was brought in to replace a McGowan who ended up staying with us at that time . There were guys like Wyness who seemed good at other clubs , were shit here and then when you speak to fans at other clubs he was with , they never rated him either .

Ross was different because he seemed to be able to improve most of our players and he could also sell the dream to guys like Cammy . Despite the fact l worked with a guy from Merseyside  for 5yrs , I find it difficult to understand Stubbs accent but I have no doubt the guy can make a decent signing and knows what he is doing . He has been asked to emulate Stevie Clarke and I do think Stubbs has that capability. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime
edited by Tom for grammar.

I mind we signed James Marwood from English non league.

We were down in the north east playing Whitley Bay in a preseason friendly and a group of Gateshead fans had came to watch in their colours. Got talking to them and they told us that they had came to say goodbye to James Marwood. Said he was a fantastic player who had been great for them and they had no doubt he would be great for us. He had just finished the season as their top scorer and was seen as one of the best players in the English non league.

Left that game thinking we had picked up a right gem.

Let’s hope these guys - who have been less successful in English non league than Marwood had been - are more successful with us than he was.

Wouldn’t be hard!

29 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

McGinn

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Looks like another good prospect midfielder. 

Lets hope he's decent,  but I hope its the last of the young , inexperienced guys Ian. He's another who has played most of his career at U23 level without really cracking the first team !

3 minutes ago, billyg said:

Lets hope he's decent,  but I hope its the last of the young , inexperienced guys Ian. He's another who has played most of his career at U23 level without really cracking the first team !

AS said he wanted to build a squad to challenge for places every week

but your right 1 or 2 experienced guys would be good

although,it is building up nicely :)

21 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I mind we signed James Marwood from English non league.

We were down in the north east playing Whitley Bay in a preseason friendly and a group of Gateshead fans had came to watch in their colours. Got talking to them and they told us that they had came to say goodbye to James Marwood. Said he was a fantastic player who had been great for them and they had no doubt he would be great for us. He had just finished the season as their top scorer and was seen as one of the best players in the English non league.

Left that game thinking we had picked up a right gem.

Let’s hope these guys - who have been less successful in English non league than Marwood had been - are more successful with us than he was.

Wouldn’t be hard!

That game, though! Remember how good Greg Wylde and Callum Ball looked, too? The sun was belting down, we were winning 10-0, and I was convinced everything was going to be ok. 

38 minutes ago, billyg said:

My thoughts precisely. Hope for some experienced guys in now. Interesting to note that all our signings from down south are 6 foot plus. I know Jack had mentioned that was something we needed to improve on, the size of the team. Seems Stubbs agrees, and hopefully we'll be more adept at set pieces next season, which could be crucial for us in tight games.

41 minutes ago, billyg said:

Agree Billy we need experience in now that knows the premiership ,  6 to 7 players were coming in that does not look too good if boys from Everton are coming up.