Alan's first signings

31 minutes ago, Soctty said:

McGinn, whom we released and who then went on to play at a better level/standard of football than our club has over the past 3 seasons? Will you eat humble pie if these players from the National League do well for us? Or will you be reluctant to give praise to them having already condemned them?

Will 100% eat humble pie if they are a success, same with Stubbs. Its only my opinion, might be negative but unfortunately sometimes things aren't all happy clappy.

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

Absolutely. I was correcting Lenziebud, more than anything.

Perhaps those who are criticising the standard of signings so far could clarify exactly what they were expecting.

I don't know what l was expecting or realistically,  who we could get . I leave that to the manager,  whose success is reliant on the quality of player he brings in. 

Perhaps with the exception of Gary Teal and Steven Thompson most of the players that we have brought in in recent times , even Isma, had to prove themselves. 

3 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Will 100% eat humble pie if they are a success, same with Stubbs. Its only my opinion, might be negative but unfortunately sometimes things aren't all happy clappy.

If you can’t be happy in the close season, with a title in the bag from the season gone by then you’ll never be happy.

Give every player a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised.

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2016/june/stubbs-promises-quality-signings/

Bet the Rotherham fans are impressed with the quality signings.

Stubbs should never have been given the SMFC job and we are going to pay a heavy price for it.

He was a failure in the Championship with one of the top sides in Scotland, a total flop at Rotherham and his signing policy so far at St Mirren is shocking IMO

Suck it up FFS.  He is the Manager now so accept it. Exactly who would you like to have seen come in that we could afford and was available? The nonsense about foreign managers was just that.  Lennon and Strachan were failures down South as were Lambert, MacLeish, Davies, McInnes, Yogi, Nielsen.  We don't know the circumstances at Rotherham but that is history and every manager deserves a second crack at the whip.  You are judging his signing policy before a ball is kicked and the squad complete.  Surely he deserves at least time to put his mark on the club as manager?  I recall the same knickerwetting when Tom H became manager with some saying how could we hire a part-time schoolteacher from the lower leagues.  Same when Jack's reign was rocky for first 3 months and many wanted him sacked.  Get behind the manager and the team and I have faith in our Board  that they have chosen the right man.  You are disappointed but criticism before a ball is kicked in anger is ridiculous.

33 minutes ago, pod said:

I remember when we used to pick up players from the juniors on a regular basis.  Be it a few years ago. Quite a few done alright for themselves.   Fresh talent, not has beens.  

Indeed. Lex Richardson and Billy Stark both came from the Juniors, which is a lower level than non league in England. 

Edited by Hendo

1 hour ago, kevo_smfc said:

I know it's a different era, though think of the names that Saints signed from the juniors most notably in the 70s. It doesn't matter what level you have been playing at, plenty of players fall into the wilderness or have just not found that opportunity yet. This Jamie Vardy lad is an ambassador for this type of scenario. Even Ian Wright I remember was playing Evostick or similar level until the age of 22 before Crystal Palace signed him. The rest is history.

Exactly,  remember that clutch of young boys fished out of the junior leagues by Fergie in the mid 70s?  They had the talent to turn our team into the best I have seen within 18 months.  There is talent there and just needs to be spotted and some of these young lads given a chance in an environment where most clubs demand instant success via the cheque book.

4 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Lennon and Strachan were failures down South as were Lambert, MacLeish, Davies, McInnes, Yogi, Nielsen.  

Lambert won 2 successive promotions with Norwich, taking them from League One to the Premiership and keeping them there. He had 3 seasons at Aston Villa. He saved both Blackburn and Wolves from relegation, knocking out Liverpool at Anfield in the FA Cup in the process. He's earned £ millions in the course of managing 7 clubs in England.

Hardly a failure!

2 hours ago, zico said:

Jamie Vardy was in the 7th tier of English football just 12 months before Leicester "discovered" his talent at the age of 25.

Are you seriously suggesting that Gavin Reilly is better than him? :rolleyes:

I didn't ask that I asked about players moving from that level to prem here - they will be few and far between as clearly you can't name one !

4 minutes ago, zico said:

Lambert won 2 successive promotions with Norwich, taking them from League One to the Premiership and keeping them there. He had 3 seasons at Aston Villa. He saved both Blackburn and Wolves from relegation, knocking out Liverpool at Anfield in the FA Cup in the process. He's earned £ millions in the course of managing 7 clubs in England.

Hardly a failure!

My point is that AS is getting pilloried by LB for his role at Rotherham (we know the Hibs situation).  I know Paul L had success but my point was that even some of the best  managers fail at certain clubs (Paul latterly).  AS has the gig and will be judged on how he does.

12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I didn't ask that I asked about players moving from that level to prem here - they will be few and far between as clearly you can't name one !

You asked "is anyone seriously suggesting a guy from tier 6 in England will be better than Reilly?".

I merely pointed out that Jamie Vardy came from the 7th tier in English football and is clearly better than Gavin Reilly!

Not sure the relevance of there not having been many players move from the 6th tier of English football to the Scottish Premiership and how that means the guys we have signed won't be as good as Gavin Reilly?

Motherwell signed guys from the 5th tier of English football and they turned out to be stars.

Edited by zico

4 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

My point is that AS is getting pilloried by LB for his role at Rotherham (we know the Hibs situation).  I know Paul L had success but my point was that even some of the best  managers fail at certain clubs (Paul latterly).  AS has the gig and will be judged on how he does.

I know what your point was. Just pointing out that adding Lambert to the list didn't help your point!

19 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Indeed. Lex Richardson and Billy Stark both came from the Juniors, which is a lower level than non league in England. 

Billy Stark came from an amateur side, not the juniors!

1 minute ago, zico said:

You asked "is anyone seriously suggesting a guy from tier 6 in England will be better than Reilly?".

I merely pointed out that Jamie Vardy came from the 7th tier in English football and is clearly better than Gavin Reilly!

Not sure the relevance of there not having been many players move from the 6th tier of English football to the Scottish Premiership and how that means the guys we have signed won't be as good as Gavin Reilly?

Motherwell signed guys from the 5th tier of English football and they turned out to be stars.

As I said it's a huge leap.  I have said before I hope I'm wrong but this is giving me the fear and as I have stated elsewhere I was happy at Stubbs appointment I just didn't expect this sort of recruitment policy from him. It smacks of a policy that will not cost us if we go down as  I assume these guys will not be on big wages given where they have come from - possibly that has been part of his brief as this has never been his MO in the past or possibly he is saving cash for 1 big signing (hopefully not Miller or Stokes)

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2016/june/stubbs-promises-quality-signings/

Bet the Rotherham fans are impressed with the quality signings.

Stubbs should never have been given the SMFC job and we are going to pay a heavy price for it.

He was a failure in the Championship with one of the top sides in Scotland, a total flop at Rotherham and his signing policy so far at St Mirren is shocking IMO

Can’t speak for anyone else but I couldn’t give a flying f**k what Rotherham fans are thinking . I would hazard a guess that most on here couldn’t have told you where Rotherham is before Stubbs came on board  far less cared about what their fans think of us.

I hope you aren’t losing sleep worrying about the thoughts of other teams  fans . :mellow:

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

just didn't expect this sort of recruitment policy from him.

I can't be certain but I would think that Stubbs' signing policy is to sign good players. What sort of signing policy do you think he should have followed?

25 minutes ago, munoz said:

Peter Crouch, Michail Antonio, Ashley Williams, Joe Hart, Charlie Austin, Troy Deeney, Chris Smalling, Les Ferdinand, Rickie Lambert, Kevin Phillips.

Ayrshire Saint will be along in a minute to ask us if we seriously think these guys were / are better than Gavin Reilly! :lol:

Stu will be along soon to compare them with Kyle Hutton! :wacko:

Edited by zico

21 minutes ago, munoz said:

Great find. That actually justifies the argument here of folk not even letting the ink dry before judging a players ability.

"Biggest transfer fee in 25 years" means the previous biggest was either 92/93 or 93/94.
IIRC we didn't pay a fee for anyone in either season. John Boyd was 94/95 and Mark Yardley was 95/96.
Of course in 91/92 Davie c**t Hay spunked a whole load of money on Baillie, Elliott, Charnley and Aitken.