Alan's first signings

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Indeed. Lex Richardson and Billy Stark both came from the Juniors, which is a lower level than non league in England. 

Thinking more.   McAvennie started his playing career in Scottish Junior League football. In 1979 during an amateur game with a local side, the 200 Club, in Kirkintilloch, McAvennie, playing well, came to the attention of local scouts. He was recommended to local junior side Johnstone Burgh signing for them for a £500 fee.[3] He completed a trial for Partick Thistle playing in a single game where he was sent on as a substitute only to be substituted off in the same game and be told by manager Bertie Auld that he would never make a career in the game of football.

What better motivation to better your career.

How  many players have been told they'll never make it because they're to small.   McCoist,  By St.Mirren

1 minute ago, Jack the lad said:

I have serious reservations with the signings this far, are we going to go from a small fast free flowing team , to one of giants who try to over power team.? I have the feeling these are  Ok we've paid for one but think they are just cheap options. Time will tell though.

Jacks no here anymore.   We're in with the big boys now.   Spend cheaply and get more for your money. :wink:

17 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Jeez thats original.

Officially a member of Happy Clappers now. All is good and were on our way

You should go onto Buddie vision and have a listen what Alan Stubbs said about the Rotherham gig. Why not go to the Hibs forum he is God there. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

2 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

"Biggest transfer fee in 25 years" means the previous biggest was either 92/93 or 93/94.
IIRC we didn't pay a fee for anyone in either season. John Boyd was 94/95 and Mark Yardley was 95/96.
Of course in 91/92 Davie c**t Hay spunked a whole load of money on Baillie, Elliott, Charnley and Aitken.

Yeah, undoubtedly our highest since Bosman, that plus a three year deal (our captain only got two) must make him one of the top earning players at the club - pretty good for someone whose main achievement so far is "impressing" on football's equivalent of Britain's Got Talent!

Edited by Bud the Baker

15 minutes ago, Jack the lad said:

I have serious reservations with the signings this far, are we going to go from a small fast free flowing team , to one of giants who try to over power team.? I have the feeling these are  Ok we've paid for one but think they are just cheap options. Time will tell though.

All I would say is think of each game we were thumped last season and why. We sign tall players and all of a sudden you think we are hammer throwers ?  Some really like carrying a big cross up a hill :huh:

I have serious reservations with the signings this far, are we going to go from a small fast free flowing team , to one of giants who try to over power team.?

Heaton and Cooke replace Davis and Sutton.

Neither were small or fast!

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

As possibly he is saving cash for 1 big signing (hopefully not Miller or Stokes)

Do you regard them as big signings.  Rather take a chance on recruiting young, fit, eager newbies and as  far as i'm aware they're not carrying any injuries, which is rare for us.    :rolleyes:

Tommy Craig was a first team coach with Newcastle when he left in 2006. James Marwood would have been 14. Find it hard to believe Newcastle first team coaches also train the kids. Even so,  if Tommy Craig signed players on how good they were 14 then no wonder he made an absolute c**t of it.
To compare stubbs working with these 2 boys and TC working with Marwood is just silly.

Marwood was born in 1990, making him 16 in 2006.

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

Jeez thats original.

Officially a member of Happy Clappers now. All is good and were on our way

Nice to see a positive response and presumably you might find which of the 4 sides of the bed is the best one to alight from..................................... Good luck with that one!

Edited by The Original 59er

8 minutes ago, wabuddy said:

latest signing Jeff king https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_King_(footballer)     

3 games for Bolton everything else non league

On 19 April 2016, King was charged by the FA with misconduct under Rule E3, allegedly using abusive, race-related language in a match played on 5 December 2015 whilst still at previous club Ashton United. He was subsequently suspended for five matches, fined £100 and ordered to complete an FA equality course.[17]

Edited by lenziebud

42 minutes ago, pod said:

Do you regard them as big signings.  Rather take a chance on recruiting young, fit, eager newbies and as  far as i'm aware they're not carrying any injuries, which is rare for us.    :rolleyes:

Pretty sure they would cost us plenty hence why I said not them as neither would be worth big money

6 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_King_(footballer)     

3 games for Bolton everything else non league

On 19 April 2016, King was charged by the FA with misconduct under Rule E3, allegedly using abusive, race-related language in a match played on 5 December 2015 whilst still at previous club Ashton United. He was subsequently suspended for five matches, fined £100 and ordered to complete an FA equality course.[17]

And what is the relevance of this post.