Alan's first signings

Seriously ? You think we would be paying a championship side 75k compo for their asst manager ?????

I'm concerned we would be paying a team at Darlington's level anywhere near 75k for a player - that seems silly money for the level he is playing at (if true of course)

Leicester just payed 22 million for the boy James Maddison from Norwich. If I’m not mistaken that’s the same chap that scored a wonder goal against SEVCO while on loan at Aberdeen........ I guess that’s what we’re up against when contemplating buying guys from the English leagues. I don’t think for a minute Maddison is worth anywhere near that, but it’s the nature of the market down there.

19 minutes ago, zico said:

Same approach brought us James Marwood mind you.....

Yeah, completely fair point. We'll have to see how it pans out. I guess I  like the idea that there is lots of untapped talent at that level that we could/should be looking at.

The one thing this lad does have going for him is that he's not been signed by Tommy Craig.

2 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:
2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Google Scottish Sun/St Mirren. 

Nothing conclusive there , Big Yin . The speculation goes  on . Might have to pop down  to Asda now. .

Surely by now everybody knows .......... that Asda Linwood/Paisley/Elderslie/Feegie really is the place you need to go.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, billyg said:

Wait till you hear the sell on % !

I'd be surprised it there isn't a hefty sell on fee. 30% or so. However, if the likes of Everton, Boro etc are keeping tabs on him, and he does well, we'd still be looking at a big profit.

If he does well...

You’ve got yourself a cracking defender. He was due to join us at the start of last season but got injured but joined us around Christmas time. Once he was up to speed we went from shopping in 2/3 goals per game to not conceding in about 5 I think. 

He he went to Jamie Vardys V9 academy but I know he was being watched for most of the time he was with us.

Fully agree £75k seems alot for Darlingtons level, but if he progresses you could make a lot more. Just hope we’ve got a good sell on clause.  It’s encouraging and refreshing that he’s chosen St Mirren because he wants first team football. If the reported interest from Middlesbrough and Everton is true then his game time might have been more limited.

3 hours ago, shull said:

Not happy at spending £75000.

It is a major gamble. 

We might get lucky. 

The boy could be magnificent and bring us success and most importantly, keep the ball away from you know who. 

Good length of Contract meaning he can be sold for a hefty profit after a year or 18 months.. 

Still a gamble that doesn't sit easy with me. 

Welcome Josh. 

It's definitely a gamble but Stubbs spent a week working with him at very close quarters in the V9 academy trial week and by most accounts, he was one of the 2 or 3 top performers on show over the piece.

Quite confident that Stubbs has picked him out through first hand experience rather than scouts feedback or a 3rd part recommendation. 

Hopefully the lad comes to us and is as solid as someone like Scott Cuthbert was. 

Edited by djchapsticks

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It's definitely a gamble but Stubbs spent a week working with him at very close quarters in the V9 academy trial week and by most accounts, he was one of the 2 or 3 top performers on show over the piece.

Quite confident that Stubbs has picked him out through first hand experience rather than scouts feedback or a 3rd part recommendation. 

Hopefully the lad comes to us and is as solid as someone like Scott Cuthbert was. 

The lad is becoming less of a gamble the more I hear about him. 

Could turn out to be a diamond and worth a small fortune to our Club. 

Hopefully, he will sign very soon. 

4 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Was this site visited by some oriental hackers or was it the Hong Kong St Mirren supporters club making some comments, or was it just my computer?

The site gets spammed very occasionally. Nothing to worry about as a user; just a pain in the arse.

16 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

The site gets spammed very occasionally. Nothing to worry about as a user; just a pain in the arse.

21 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Was this site visited by some oriental hackers or was it the Hong Kong St Mirren supporters club making some comments, or was it just my computer?

Wonder if PB will be along to make a joke about it......  :ph34r:

Edited by zico

3 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

Let's assume this guy turns out to be decent, I think it's precisely the kind of transfer that we all hoped Stubbs would bring to the table. Rated young English lad on a long contract that we might be able to sell on for a profit if he does well. 

I, for one, welcome this approach. 

For me the length of the contract is a worrying aspect - hope it has a relegation clause built in.

7 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

For me the length of the contract is a worrying aspect - hope it has a relegation clause built in.

The lad seems to be highly rated so I'd much prefer a 3 year deal to a 1 year. 

4 hours ago, truesaint said:

Strange transfer history with this lad. Has had more clubs than i put in my bag for a round at Barshaw.

Total transfer proceeds: 0  
17/18 Nov 10, 2017 Ramsbottom United England Ramsbottom Darlington FC England Darlington - Free transfer pfeil_rechts_blau_k.png
17/18 Oct 27, 2017 Bamber Bridge England Bamber B. Ramsbottom United England Ramsbottom - Free transfer pfeil_rechts_blau_k.png
17/18 Jul 1, 2017 Stalybridge Celtic FC England Stalybridge Celtic FC Bamber Bridge England Bamber B. - Free transfer pfeil_rechts_blau_k.png
16/17 Oct 31, 2016 FC Droylsden England Droylsden Stalybridge Celtic FC England Stalybridge Celtic FC - Free transfer pfeil_rechts_blau_k.png
16/17 Aug 1, 2016 Preston North End England Preston NE FC Droylsden England Droylsden - Free transfer pfeil_rechts_blau_k.png
15/16 May 31, 2016 FC Colne England Colne Preston North End England Preston NE - End of loan pfeil_rechts_blau_k.png
15/16 Mar 24, 2016 Preston North End England Preston NE FC Colne England Colne - Loan pfeil_rechts_blau_k.png
15/16 Feb 8, 2016 Tamworth FC England Tamworth Preston North End England Preston NE - End of loan pfeil_rechts_blau_k.png
15/16 Nov 26, 2015 Preston North End England Preston NE Tamworth FC England Tamworth - Loan pfeil_rechts_blau_k.png
15/16 Jul 1, 2015 Preston North End U18 England Preston U18 Preston North End England Preston NE - - pfeil_rechts_blau_k.png

Sure has.