Stadium developments

first section to get looked at is space between main stand and family stand.  i think we could increase hospitality numbers on matchday and use space during week  for coffee shop[think this has been suggested before numerous times by LPM], as well as increasing fans there too[not standing]believe architects looking at it.   Money may come from chunk of what we get if McGinn or Magennis move on from hibs or us

2 hours ago, saint in exile said:

Just make the filled in corners the standing areas - simple.  No sight line issues from anyone seated in the stands.

Sounds sensible to me and kills two birds with one stone by filling in the corners and introducing safe standing.  Just fill the ground. 

There is no need to expand the stadium at the moment as we can't fill the seats we have. The only way it would make sense is if it's to add standing sections in the corner or to add seats for away fans so there's no need to punt folk out of the family stand.

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

There is no need to expand the stadium at the moment as we can't fill the seats we have. The only way it would make sense is if it's to add standing sections in the corner or to add seats for away fans so there's no need to punt folk out of the family stand.

Aye right - that makes sense. :rolleyes: Spend £700k+ filling in the two corners of a stadium that has hardly ever been half full, and which has never been filled to capacity so you can accommodate more "Rangers" and Celtic fans on the odd season when St Mirren happen to be in the same division as them. That would indeed be the only sensible reason to expand. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, StuD said:

Aye right - that makes sense. :rolleyes: Spend £700k+ filling in the two corners of a stadium that has hardly ever been half full, and which has never been filled to capacity so you can accommodate more "Rangers" and Celtic fans on the odd season when St Mirren happen to be in the same division as them. That would indeed be the only sensible reason to expand. :rolleyes:

That makes sense - only if you consider that St Mirren are incapable of growing to meet future demand.

Perhaps you are too young to remember being squashed into Love Street with 30,000+ for a Scottish cup tie with Celtic.

Then you will point out that we have deteriorated from these heady days and there is no way back - especially with your pessimistic outlook.

3 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

That makes sense - only if you consider that St Mirren are incapable of growing to meet future demand.

Perhaps you are too young to remember being squashed into Love Street with 30,000+ for a Scottish cup tie with Celtic.

Then you will point out that we have deteriorated from these heady days and there is no way back - especially with your pessimistic outlook.

We also had a good turn out at the cup final in 2013 but, I hate to burst your bubble, the days of massive crowds are gone.

Too many people have drifted away and won't be back having found other things to do along with their families.

It is sad but that's the reality.

No point looking back, look forward, embrace where we are and accept the recent crowds are as good as it gets, unless Mr Fitzpatrick is smarter than he looks. 

29 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Well first off you are challenging me over a post I made in response to Stu. Stu claimed that the only way expanding the stadium made sense was to accommodate "Rangers" and Celtic supporters without disturbing the natives. It was that suggestion I was ridiculing, not the suggestion that one day the home support might climb to more than 8,000. 

However to tackle your post head on, I would have been 10 years old in 1980 on that night at the Scottish Cup Replay when a reported 27,000 people attended a match in a stadium which at the time had a maximum capacity of 24,000. I was indeed there. However perhaps you can tell me how many other times has the capacity of Love Street or St Mirren Park ever been troubled since?  

I'd love to see St Mirren Park filled with 8,000 St Mirren fans every week but it's not likely to happen unless the board of directors and / or SMISA somehow manage to get more engagement from the local community in the club. Neither seem to have any plan, or clue, how to do that and the current St Mirren board appears to be relying, somewhat unrealistically given the clubs budget, on St Mirren continuing to win more games than it loses to keep bringing fans in. 

41 minutes ago, Big Yards said:

When is work due to start? Can’t really understand why we need more seats, especially when we’re already giving the OF an additional stand to what they’ve had before. Should never build stadiums for away fans to fill. 

It's not due to start. It's not happening according to both Gordon Scott's statement and the tweet that was quoted at the start of this thread. But I do agree with you. The concept of expanding the capacity of a football ground to accommodate your oppositions supporters is a ridiculously poor one. 

Edited by StuD

1 hour ago, StuD said:

Where you getting the 700k from? It's essentially two shells of metal on land we already own. I doubt it would be anywhere near that. 

3 hours ago, car-d bud said:

first section to get looked at is space between main stand and family stand. 

12 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Dunno if it’s been answered elsewhere but which two corners would we fill IF this plan goes ahead ?

As someone suggested above.  Lets add more empty seats. :blink:

6 minutes ago, pod said:

Ok , that’s one corner .

eta, which doesn’t make sense due to the new stadium allocations for premier football .In this case those new seats would simply be a buffer area when the ugly sisters come calling, 

or the main to north , same issues . Also north to west . 

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

1 minute ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Ok , that’s one corner .

Could I suggest another that would be adequate for more empty seats. Nae point in filling in any other corner, you would only be putting OF supporters in it.  

We don't want them.   We have loads of money.

2 minutes ago, pod said:

Could I suggest another that would be adequate for more empty seats. Nae point in filling in any other corner, you would only be putting OF supporters in it.  

We don't want them.   We have loads of money.

I agree , while I understand that any decision on this issue should always be up for discussion as things change , we simply cannot justify the expenditure at this moment .

25 minutes ago, pod said:

Not just that, lets pay almost 300% more to install these seats than you would for the other empty seats in the stadium. 

Like I've been saying St Mirren fans are a bit too thick for fan ownership. 

17 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I agree , while I understand that any decision on this issue should always be up for discussion as things change , we simply cannot justify the expenditure at this moment .

Agreed. Although filling in the corners could make financial sense if what is built there contains facilities that will generate non match day revenue that would provide a return on investment. 

21 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Agree.  However we have gone from 3,000 to 3,600 to 4,450 average crowds over the past three seasons.  Some will argue that we have peaked.  I disagree and have posted elsewhere on the forum that Scottish Football is on the way up before the more recent appointment of two City of Liverpool players as managers joining Brendan Rodgers in the Scottish Premiership. Given that we are playing more attractive opposition then last season and that more away fans will come then I suggest that we will average 5,400 or 69 per cent capacity. It would take a really outstanding run in the league or a season or two to exceed 6,500. At that level one stand could be dedicated to away fans and the rest to Saints.  At that point it might make sense to start filling in the corners... Even better if space below can be let out to bring in more revenue. 

Sad - but the pessimists are in the majority on this topic.

When we 'peaked' in the 80s, Rangers and Celtic were averaging about half what they get now.

Hearts and Hibs are now at almost record attendance levels and Aberdeen have failed to replicate St Mirren in attendance decline since the 80s.

So this is not necessarily part of a national decline in attendances - more a local one due to the fact that we have not enjoyed much success in staying in the top six in Scotland since the 80s.

I am not saying that we are ready to invest in expanding the stadium at this moment in time, but to aim for say 10,000+ (on at least ten times a season) within five successful years in the Scottish Premiership is not an unreasonable target for a town the size of Paisley.

I am afraid that there will be more than a few struggling to get a seat at our dinky little junior football stadium next season if interest in the Scottish Premiership grows as anticipated by some pundits.

6 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Sad - but the pessimists are in the majority on this topic.

When we 'peaked' in the 80s, Rangers and Celtic were averaging about half what they get now.

Hearts and Hibs are now at almost record attendance levels and Aberdeen have failed to replicate St Mirren in attendance decline since the 80s.

So this is not necessarily part of a national decline in attendances - more a local one due to the fact that we have not enjoyed much success in staying in the top six in Scotland since the 80s.

I am not saying that we are ready to invest in expanding the stadium at this moment in time, but to aim for say 10,000+ (on at least ten times a season) within five successful years in the Scottish Premiership is not an unreasonable target for a town the size of Paisley.

I am afraid that there will be more than a few struggling to get a seat at our dinky little junior football stadium next season if interest in the Scottish Premiership grows as anticipated by some pundits.

With you 100 percent. 

33 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Agree.  However we have gone from 3,000 to 3,600 to 4,450 average crowds over the past three seasons.  Some will argue that we have peaked.  I disagree 

Wish I could share your optimism.