League Opener

12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Motherwell at home twice midweek - that's a fair loss of income right away given they would have brought a good Saturday support.

On reflection it's better to have midweek games against a team that are close . . . Kinda 

On 6/13/2018 at 8:43 AM, Flareybob said:

According to a reliable source our opening day fixture is home to Hearts

Full opening day fixture list:

Aberdeen v Livingston

Celtic v Dundee

Hamilton Academical v St Johnstone

Hibernian v Motherwell

Kilmarnock v Rangers

St Mirren v Heart of Midlothian

One out of six. Better than your usual guesses! :)

13 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Any idea when the tv schedules come out? Looking to do a trip for my birthday but don't want to book anything yet in case it gets shifted to Friday/Sunday (not that I see Accies v Saints being shifted!)

How does that work then?My birthday is the same date every year but wouldn't mind moving it if it fell on a Monday.

On 6/13/2018 at 10:28 AM, E=Mc2 said:

Last year's opening games involved the promoted team playing the team that came 6th. 

Extrapolating my theory (good that init?) the following may happen.

That would be St. Mirren v Hearts for this season.

Looking at the way the SPL started last season, Celtic v Hearts would be Celtic v Kilmarnock this season.

Last season Aberdeen v Hamilton, would be Aberdeen v Livingston (Partick were second bottom)

Last season Motherwell v Rangers, would be Dundee v Rangers.

Last season  St. Johnstone v Kilmarnock, would be Hibs v St. Johnstone.

Last season Dundee v Ross County,  would be Motherwell v Hamilton.

Then wit do I know? I just think I'm Albert Einstein. 

1715254112_HappyE.jpg.847216c58a4084713f2b2fc079e073e5.jpg

I'm surprised you've got o'levels

195949718_SPLstart.JPG.09f353befe6891c27b9b132a72af5ceb.JPG

Any idea when the tv schedules come out? Looking to do a trip for my birthday but don't want to book anything yet in case it gets shifted to Friday/Sunday (not that I see Accies v Saints being shifted!)
Each club can only have a max of 4 home games on TV (pre-split).
Guaranteed that 3 of those will be against the bigot brothers leaving one which will almost certainly be later on in the season.
As for away games, when we were last in the top division we went something like 3 and a half seasons without being covered.

12 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I  look at the fixtures and think this going to be tough being our first season. The other thing that pops out is  just how small the premiership is it's about time it was expanded. 

There's no doubt that it is a tough league. I would prefer to be playing each other only once at home and once away but there doesn't seem to be an alternative that maintains interest at too and bottom in the way the current structure does. If there is then bring it on. 

1 hour ago, shetland said:

It's the biggest league in spfl.

Expand it and we will end up with too many meaningless matches.

Why not expand the play off's to bottom four premiership  clubs top  four championship . That way you could expand the premiership and have meaningful games. There are some big clubs in the championship. 

30 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Why not expand the play off's to bottom four premiership  clubs top  four championship . That way you could expand the premiership and have meaningful games. There are some big clubs in the championship. 

IOBS. Slarti has a point.  How about increasing the Top league to 14. Split into top and bottom 7.  Play these.  Then bottom 4 battle top 4 in Championship for 2 places in the premiership?  Bring it in for season 2019/2020 with No relegation at the end of 2018/2019...........

9 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

IOBS. Slarti has a point.  How about increasing the Top league to 14. Split into top and bottom 7.  Play these.  Then bottom 4 battle top 4 in Championship for 2 places in the premiership?  Bring it in for season 2019/2020 with No relegation at the end of 2018/2019...........

For us , it is better to have the likes of the Plastic Whistle and Dundee Divided in the League than the Toss Cuntys and the ICT's or the Livi for that matter with their 200 dedicated fans. .

1 minute ago, saintnextlifetime said:

For us , it is better to have the likes of the Plastic Whistle and Dundee Divided in the League than the Toss Cuntys and the ICT's or the Livi for that matter with their 200 dedicated fans. .

Two from Thistle,  Dundee Hibs, Dunfermline and Morton. 

I really never get this arguement of expanding the league. Bigger league means more meaningless games.

It also means less leagues. So less champions. The best time ever supporting St Mirren have been the 3 years we have won the 1st Division. Im sure the fans of teams who won league 1&2 would also agree. I would never swap that for finishing 11th in a 14/16/20 team league.

We should be looking at it as a positive that we have such a strong 2nd tier. Not to decimate it by lumping everyone into one big league to have an absolute diddy 2nd tier full of part time teams.