League Opener

I really never get this arguement of expanding the league. Bigger league means more meaningless games.
It also means less leagues. So less champions. The best time ever supporting St Mirren have been the 3 years we have won the 1st Division. Im sure the fans of teams who won league 1&2 would also agree. I would never swap that for finishing 11th in a 14/16/20 team league.
We should be looking at it as a positive that we have such a strong 2nd tier. Not to decimate it by lumping everyone into one big league to have an absolute diddy 2nd tier full of part time teams.

I’d rather have meaningless games than shite, boring games, which is exactly what you end up with by the time you’ve played the same team 4 fecking times!

11 hours ago, shetland said:

It's the biggest league in spfl.

Expand it and we will end up with too many meaningless matches.

There's no such thing as meaningless games. If a team is mid table they will be looking to improve their position. If they are in a situation that they can't climb the league and can't fall down the league they have an opportunity to blood young players. I think it's been detrimental to our game having half the teams scrapping against relegation. It makes for negative, defensive, apprehensive games. I would much rather watch a game with our youngins getting a chance and trying to impress the manager by playing attacking, exciting football. 

3 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Quite right.

I think that we should just have one division of 42 teams who play each other once. The following season you reverse the home/away fixtures - no need to keep the fixtures in the same order or anything, just ensure that, for example, if you play Celtic away one season, you play them at home the next. If the pyramid system is kept, then any team promoted from non-league takes the fixture list of the demoted team.

If you want to reduce it to a 40 team league, just use the old "last in, first out" which, I think, would get rid of Sevco.

Sorted. Don't know why anyone hasn't thought of this amazing idea before. :)

Probably because when you came up with your idea, you were off your fcuking tits on minimum unit price cider. :P

Edited by pozbaird

9 hours ago, LargsBud said:

I really never get this arguement of expanding the league. Bigger league means more meaningless games.

It also means less leagues. So less champions. The best time ever supporting St Mirren have been the 3 years we have won the 1st Division. Im sure the fans of teams who won league 1&2 would also agree. I would never swap that for finishing 11th in a 14/16/20 team league.

We should be looking at it as a positive that we have such a strong 2nd tier. Not to decimate it by lumping everyone into one big league to have an absolute diddy 2nd tier full of part time teams.

I see your point but the changes already happening in Scottish football will, most likely,  lead to more,  not fewer leagues and movement within the expanding pyramid system. 

Truthfully.... I have also enjoyed our times in winning the second league.  But - We are back in the top league-its a reward,  not a punishment. 

What I don't enjoy very much is playing the same team 4 times a season.  Ideas to change that are welcome but difficult to agree on. 

10 hours ago, LargsBud said:

Ooh, I like your thinking. What we should do is go with 42 leagues with one team in it. Every week fans would be able to celebrate winning, whilst also being able to moan that they lost. And each season they could all enjoy cheering their team around the town on an open top bus whilst also having an excuse to drown their sorrows for finishing bottom of their league. 

49 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I see your point but the changes already happening in Scottish football will, most likely,  lead to more,  not fewer leagues and movement within the expanding pyramid system. 

Truthfully.... I have also enjoyed our times in winning the second league.  But - We are back in the top league-its a reward,  not a punishment. 

What I don't enjoy very much is playing the same team 4 times a season.  Ideas to change that are welcome but difficult to agree on. 

That point is the only positive of increasing the number of teams in the league.

The many negatives such as more meaningless games, tv money diluted, less opportunity for teams to win titles/be involved in title races etc all outweigh that for me. We would end up with a situation where the old firm were the only teams to ever experience winning trophies and titles. If we had 2 leagues you'd have the OF + 1 other team winning a league out of 42 teams.

While its not ideal that we play the same team 4 times, its not the worst thing in the world. 

50 minutes ago, StuD said:

Ooh, I like your thinking. What we should do is go with 42 leagues with one team in it. Every week fans would be able to celebrate winning, whilst also being able to moan that they lost. And each season they could all enjoy cheering their team around the town on an open top bus whilst also having an excuse to drown their sorrows for finishing bottom of their league. 

The optimism and feel good factor around the club within the last year has been the highest its been since 05/06. Wonder what happened that year?

Edited by LargsBud

29 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

The optimism and feel good factor around the club within the last year has been the highest its been since 05/06. Wonder what happened that year?

No, I get your point. Football fans are typically glory hunters. They love winning things. That's correct isn't it? That's why all the Celtic fans I know are wonderfully happy people who live life their own wee optimistic bubble. Hence my proposal. 42 leagues with just 1 team in each. More leagues, smaller numbers of teams in each - that's what you wanted wasn't it? Then everyone can enjoy seeing their team win every singe week, every single year. Perfect isn't it? 

Hmm, thinking about it maybe gerrymandering the leagues to ensure more success isn't the best way to go. it might just cheapen the achievement - maybe huh?