O2 ABC greatest memories

FTOF

Most of my memories involve an O2 ABC with visits to Variety Bar before and after.:guinness:thumbsup

Mostly punk bands in their latter stages.

The Skids and The Damned, with Richard Jobson and Captain Sensible playing the front man role to perfection.

Other notable mentions go to The Rezillos, The Buzzcocks, Big Country and PiL.

Have also seen The Doors alive, who were very good too.

Another one bites the dust - the Apollo, Tiffany’s Ballroom, now the 02 ABC. Saw lots of bands in there. Simple Minds, Lifehouse, Imagine Dragons spring to mind as being brilliant in there.

Still great concert venues in Glasgow, let’s hope no more of them bite the dust - King Tuts, Barras, Armadillo, Royal Concert Hall, 02 Academy, Hydro.

Edited by pozbaird

2 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

That's now two major fires in Sauchiehall St in the same year , both destroying famous gig venues. Makes you wonder what is going on. .

The good news is that they plan to rebuild the School of Art from scratch basically. .

First priority should be to rebuild it as close as possible to the original. No, hold on, first priority should be to install sprinklers. :) 

Had a few good nights there, notable memories were Breeders, Complete Stone Roses, and Wedding Present. 

At the Breeders gig my brother asked me to be his best man and one of the wedding Present gigs was just after the Manchester bombing and they stopped mid set for a minutes silence. 

At another wedding present gig there but in a small hall there was a really pished guy stumbling about annoying everyone and before the gig he kept telling everyone that he was only there to hear Kennedy. When they started the gig with the familiar ding ding ding ding intro to Kennedy a huge cheer went up, I keep telling myself it was in celebration that the pished guy would go home after the first song. 

• 7 months later...
8 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Missed this first time around - sad to see it go.

Favourite memory - Prob'ly Nazereth's 40th Anniversary gig in 2009 and Dan McAfferty chasing a coupla scantily clad "models" around the stage during "Hair of The Dog" #metoo

Never seen Nazereth play but went to school with some of the guys in the band including Dan. Long time ago though!