Gavin Reilly

• 3 months later...

10 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

He’s already rejected it

It's an odd one: you'd think a player like that, who has had a mixed career so far, would opt to settle for at least another season.

Having said that, I don't think it's a bad thing that he's moving on and I think we can do better. Watch him sign for someone like St Johnstone and score a couple dozen next season now. <_< Thanks for the goals, Gav, and I wish you well, but not against us.

(Actually, I reckon he might end up signing for United. Just got a feeling.)

Edit: absolutely nee chance he's going to Sunderland, btw. Jack clearly didn't fancy him that much last season.

Edited by Magic Monkey

25 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

It's an odd one: you'd think a player like that, who has had a mixed career so far, would opt to settle for at least another season.

Having said that, I don't think it's a bad thing that he's moving on and I think we can do better. Watch him sign for someone like St Johnstone and score a couple dozen next season now. <_< Thanks for the goals, Gav, and I wish you well, but not against us.

(Actually, I reckon he might end up signing for United. Just got a feeling.)

Edit: absolutely nee chance he's going to Sunderland, btw. Jack clearly didn't fancy him that much last season.

I wonder if the uncertainty surrounding JR moving on contributed to Reilly's decision.

If he reckons he can do better and earn a higher wage, good luck to him, but he is taking a punt given his mixed bag career thus far.

We've got a hell of a lot of rebuilding to do, but perhaps it will be for the best if the new manager has as much scope as possible to call the shots on that.

Gavin Reilly, who was St Mirren's top scorer as they won the Championship title, is keeping his options open despite being offered a new contract by the promoted club. (Scottish Sun, print edition)

This was in the BBC Football Gossip , if he has rejected our contract offers then I would just be telling him good luck Gav and thank him for his service.

Edit to add , We shouldn't be any players last option , unless the player is exceptional and I think Gav had a good season up until about February and then couldn't get in the starting 11.

Edited by linwood buddie

Not too fussed if Gavin moves on, I don’t think he has the physicality or ability to hold on to the ball that we need in the top division.

Played a huge part last season and would have been happy enough for him to have been retained as a squad member.

Agreed. I honestly think last season was just one of those ‘one offs’ , sincerely doubt he’d repeat it.

Grateful however, made a huge contribution & would be happy if he signs on as part of squad as opposed to first choice.

He exceeded my expectations, goal tally wise, however, considering his tally included goals against a non league side (4 against lothian thistle) and his poor 2nd half of the season, I am not overly concerned as I feel Mullen contributes in overall play more and will come on strong.

I'd be surprised if Reilly reproduced this form again in his career... I could be wrong but just an opinion.

Loosing Morgan is a bigger concern IMO.

If reports are true, I think we move on swiftly.  We first and foremost have a new manager to appoint and if you don't see your career at our beloved club, thanks for the memories, the goals and your excellent contribution to or championship winning season.

Would have liked Reilly to stay but I don't think it's as big a loss as, say, had Sutton left in 2006 after we got promoted. He scored 22 goals but only three since the turn of the year. After scoring against the Aberdeen game he had five starts without scoring before being left out for the returning Morgan at Palmerston so it's his loss of form and the injury he was carrying which saw him dropped rather than stuff about him deciding to leave.

Unless he's fairly sure of getting a deal elsewhere, he's taking a risk hoping for something better considering we'll stop paying him after tomorrow and his partner's just had a baby.

3 hours ago, spankin_panda said:

He exceeded my expectations, goal tally wise, however, considering his tally included goals against a non league side (4 against lothian thistle) and his poor 2nd half of the season, I am not overly concerned as I feel Mullen contributes in overall play more and will come on strong.

I'd be surprised if Reilly reproduced this form again in his career... I could be wrong but just an opinion.

Loosing Morgan is a bigger concern IMO.

Reilly was supposedly carrying an injury for most of the latter part of the season and He didn't start many games in that period so I think it's unfair to judge him on that. I feel he could be an invaluable member of the squad if he chooses to stay but he has to commit fairly soon or the plug should be pulled on the deal.