Gavin Reilly

Reilly will be a massive loss. No question about that at all. Danny Mullen is nowhere near as prolific, as direct or as effective. Of course it's probably quite simply the case that Reilly didn't want to stay and play for Stubbs as is his prerogative.  Good luck to the lad. I've certainly enjoyed watching him play. He's certainly been one of the better players at the club over the last season. 

I am really disappointed Gavin is leaving.I liked him ever since I saw him play for Queens in a pre season friendly against us a few years ago when Danny was in charge.I was delighted when he signed for us and can only thank him for his immense contribution in our title winning season.Sad now to see the break up that side with the likes of Morgan Davis Smith and now Reilly gone not to forget Jack and James. Onwards and upwards now I suppose with Alan in charge.We await all with interest.

11 minutes ago, munoz said:

He'll be at Alloa on loan again I'd imagine. 

Yeah it wasn't a serious point. Wouldn't be at all surprised if him and Kirkpatrick are punted soon.

We'd almost certainly have been signing another striker had Reilly stayed, this just means we'll be after two.

32 minutes ago, StuD said:

Of course it's probably quite simply the case that Reilly didn't want to stay and play for Stubbs as is his prerogative. 

Even when the player himself has tweeted that it was not his decision? :wacko:

Just now, div said:

Even when the player himself has tweeted that it was not his decision? :wacko:

I saw that, still, if he'd been sure he wanted to stay he could have signed the deal as soon as it was offered. Not blaming him for waiting to evaluate his options, just pointing out that the decision to stay with the club has been in his hands for a few weeks now. 

Well it like  Stubbs has looked at the offer on the table and thinks the money could be better spent , shame though as I thought Gavin always put in a hard working shift  , that would have suited us in the SPL . 

Wonder if Gavin would have actually signed the new contract offer on the table , or just wanted to have that option to get a better deal elsewhere ?

Linked with Sunderland.  If the press are to be believed,  Sunderland are going to be a Saints tribute act next season with the amount of ex players supposedly going there. Talk about lazy journalism.

3 hours ago, div said:

Was offered a contract by Jack Ross, rejected it, then was made another offer and decided to sit on that and wait to see who the new manager was, which is perfectly fair and reasonable.

I believe he was more than happy to now stay and play under Stubbs but the offer was subsequently withdrawn as that feeling wasn't mutual!

All fair enough. Stubbs is building his own squad and he'll do it his way.

As an addition to that none of the players under contract, including those who have recently signed, or re-signed, are guaranteed anything. We could easily see under contract players moving on if the new manager doesn't rate them.

Stubbs hinted at this. Tough on players but the managers prerogative. He will be judged on success or otherwise so he will want everybody to know they are there as his choice and to do things the way The Boss wants. 

8 minutes ago, munoz said:

Linked with Sunderland.  If the press are to be believed,  Sunderland are going to be a Saints tribute act next season with the amount of ex players supposedly going there. Talk about lazy journalism.

No chance- more like a Falkirk or even a Caley.

30 minutes ago, Saint Garf said:

I saw that, still, if he'd been sure he wanted to stay he could have signed the deal as soon as it was offered. Not blaming him for waiting to evaluate his options, just pointing out that the decision to stay with the club has been in his hands for a few weeks now. 

Can't really blame the player for waiting to see who the new manager was before committing, but equally can't blame Stubbs for making his own mind up about who he wants in the squad.

Pretty sure it was Robbie Neilson who brought Reilly to Hearts and it clearly didn't work out for him there, maybe he was worried initially that Neilson was going to get the Saints gig!

1 hour ago, StuD said:

Reilly will be a massive loss. No question about that at all. Danny Mullen is nowhere near as prolific, as direct or as effective. Of course it's probably quite simply the case that Reilly didn't want to stay and play for Stubbs as is his prerogative.  Good luck to the lad. I've certainly enjoyed watching him play. He's certainly been one of the better players at the club over the last season. 

Reilly scored half his goals against lower league opposition in the cups, including four against Lothian Thistle and doubles against Hearts Colts and Airdrie. He was impressive in his all round play as well as his league goalscoring in the first half of the season before falling away a bit. Would've loved him to stay but I would think we have someone else lined up.

He didn't decide to leave - Stubbs decided to take the deal off the table when he took over as it had been there for some time with Gavin not up for signing it.

I think Mullen really started to come into his own towards the end of the season, and I would hope he can continue to develop next season, although I would be worried if he was our number 1 striker, no disrespect to the lad.

5 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

Not the standard we need for Premiership. Mullen is a far more rounded player and more of a 'project'. Added into the fact Reilly has held out for well over a month with an offer on the table. Best thing for all parties.

Pretty much spot on. Mullen couldn't wait to sign for us , coming in on loan before the permanent deal , and there was no  guarantee of the Premiership either.  Gavin wanted his cake and eat it.

12 minutes ago, billyg said:

Pretty much spot on. Mullen couldn't wait to sign for us , coming in on loan before the permanent deal , and there was no  guarantee of the Premiership either.  Gavin wanted his cake and eat it.

If Mullen had scored 22 goals for us last season there's a good chance he'd be looking to get a better deal elsewhere as well. 

But he didn't. He scored 3 and is still with us.

Let's not pretend that we'd rather have Mullen than Reilly just because our ego is a bit dented because Reilly didn't sign the new deal.

Edited by LargsBud

20 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

Not the standard we need for Premiership. Mullen is a far more rounded player and more of a 'project'. Added into the fact Reilly has held out for well over a month with an offer on the table. Best thing for all parties.

I agree with this view but also appreciated the contribution Reilly made last season. 

3 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

If Mullen had scored 22 goals for us last season there's a good chance he'd be looking to get a better deal elsewhere as well. 

Let's not pretend that we'd rather have Mullen than Reilly just because our ego is a bit dented because Reilly didn't sign the new deal.

Mullen was happy to pen a 2 and a half year deal , he wants to play for St Mirren and he will improve . Gav wouldn't commit to a longer deal last summer and has suffered the consequences now , so f**k him. I hope he ends up back in the championship , which is his level anyway !

3 hours ago, LargsBud said:

I would suggest getting rid of the first player to score 20+ goals for us in a season for God knows how long probably isn's a great one. 

Especially when we're going into a better league where goal scorers are always hard to come by.

Taking things rationally, Reilly decided to hold out on the two contract offers he had, which is his prerogative, but a fact nonetheless. Stubbs has come in and decided to withdraw the contract offer - as manager, that's his prerogative.

I was a big fan of Reilly's in the championship, for his movement, workrate, constant pestering of defenders as well as the goals. The 20+ goals included 4 against Lothian Thistle, 2 each against Airdrie and Hearts Colts, and one each against Stranraer and Raith Rovers.

While I am hugely appreciative of all his goals, the ones against lower league opposition don't - to me - serve as a signal that he would be able to do similar in the Premiership. The goals in the Championship can be taken as a better indication, and while he got 11 of those, I'm not sure he'd be anywhere near as effective at a higher level. I think he'd still give us the pestering, battling and movement, but we need more than that to survive and hopefully thrive.

So, goalscorers are hard to come by in the Premiership, but taking goalscorers from lower divisions rarely pays dividends in the top league, so based on this I don't have a huge problem with the manager letting Gavin go, as long as we have someone better, more experienced and more proven at this level, to replace him.

42 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

First , Gav was a big part of wining the league a player who always gave 100%. League goals scored was 11 goals was it not ? You think that' is prolific for a centre forward in a team that ran away with the league ?